Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Bugatti Veyron 16.4

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes, it's a very impressive technological masterpiece, and that must be applauded.

However, as a show piece at a motor show it's great. As a car... no.

On real roads, you will never have opportunity to use all that performance. If I had the money to buy it, i'd get a nice Ferrari or a Maserati which will provide almost as much fun, definitely more so in day to day driving.
And the other advantage to driving something that's not the Bugatti? I'll be driving a thing of beauty, not something that's seriously fugly.

The sole reason to buy the Bugatti is numbers - which all comes down to the my willie is bigger than yours scenario - and for that reason I say it's uncool!

·
Vendor
45,966 Posts
Cool, doesn't have the soul to be sub zero.

J

·
0 Posts
on an engineering level is it up there with the best of them, it truly is awesome.

its looks are 'marmite' love it or hate it, no real middle ground.

for more is it no more that cool on a good day, it was primarily a project to see if it cuols be done and also give Audi/VW group kudos in being able to produce such a car.

As others have said, it is very clinical, it has no soul and so lacks that sub zero status.

I'm not saying i wouldn't have one if it was given to me, but i am not sure i would spend 800K on it though

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Really, really, really don't like it.

I'd honestly have my 156 over that.
Just how I feel- Ugly as sin, and no soul, if you gave me one I'd sell it without driving it...
Utterly pointless.

H

·
0 Posts
It's cool, but far too geeky to be sub zero. The sort of bloke who'd own one would spend an entire meal telling his new date about the specs and stats of the car.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It's cool, but far too geeky to be sub zero. The sort of bloke who'd own one would spend an entire meal telling his new date about the specs and stats of the car.
Not necessarily a bad thing though is it? I know quite a few girls that would be interested......why didnt i marry one of those? :confused: :cry:

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
No.. that's the Jap fans who bought a Nissan Skyline, or Porsche/BMW owners - who need to try hard to convince everyone else that they bought the car for a logical reason, not just because of the badge (though it's an expensive badge.. just to say "I am a w***er" :D )

The Veyron has tooo much of everything to be "braggable". It's like saying 1,000,000 peopel died in an earthquake.. it's just too big a number to understand and so becomes a statsitic.

Put the dinner date in the passenger seat and then *breathe* on the gas pedal.... Yoooooooooooiiinnnnks! Warp factor 9 Mr Scott..!!

Wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

:D

Ralf S.

H

·
0 Posts
No.. that's the Jap fans who bought a Nissan Skyline, or Porsche/BMW owners - who need to try hard to convince everyone else that they bought the car for a logical reason, not just because of the badge (though it's an expensive badge.. just to say "I am a w***er" :D )

The Veyron has tooo much of everything to be "braggable". It's like saying 1,000,000 peopel died in an earthquake.. it's just too big a number to understand and so becomes a statsitic.

Put the dinner date in the passenger seat and then *breathe* on the gas pedal.... Yoooooooooooiiinnnnks! Warp factor 9 Mr Scott..!!

Wooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

:D

Ralf S.
Actually, I'd argue that the Veyron is the biggest w***er's car of them all. It's utterly pointless, unless you're using it as a hugely expensive boasting tool.

It's the car equivalent of a Macbook-air

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Most cars are pointless, if I extrapolate from what you are saying. Yet, we can't help admire them and sometime buy them.

The Veyron is a much more purposeful car than a Reventon for example, for a similar price, as the latter is really just a rebodied Murcielago.

Inevitably, all car companies have R&D budget. VW decided to use some of their R&D budget to make a car that pushes all the limits. Whether it'll pay off in the long term is anyone's guess, but it is no different than putting a whole load of money into less tangible (eg. no final production car) R&D.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think I know why. It's not flawed. It's too perfect for it's own good. Almost aseptic.

Created with the mind, not with the heart.

But, it's definetly cool.
Yes & no. The concept is completely irrational and against any notion of good packaging/design. Incidentally that's why I reckon it's cool - they could have done the same thing a lot easier but they just said "no, shutup, we are making this ridiculous car with 1000hp, I don't want to hear why it can't be done, just do it".

But the execution is cold, flawless, German, military grade precision.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
tremolo said:
On what basis?

Because the exhaust noise is not overly loud? Because the looks of the car are tame(ish)?

As far as I read, the Veyron has been blood and tears for the VW engineers, with huge political overtones which seemingly forced a change in CEO and Porsche being able to move on and take over VW.

I think the Veyron (which apparently loses EUR 2m per sale!) is proof that even Zee Tchermans have a heart.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Or maybe its a gloriously lunatic expression of bonkers grade dedication to excellence and application of spirit to produce a car that is almost infeasible to comprehend to our small minds.

Check out the impression it left on Autocars Chris Harris, who previously was a bit cold on the Veyron, until he drove it - after which he was basically incoherent due to the uniqueness of what he had experienced :thumbs:

YouTube - Midnight Run - Bugatti Veyron

Tremolo said:

41 - 60 of 102 Posts