Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lusting after the Dodo Juice detailing buckets but really not being able to justify the cost (40-odd quid for two) for what they themselves describe as weak and poncy buckets I decided to look into alternatives. So a trip to Wickes for four 40L plasterers buckets (£5.95 each) and a few quid on stickers from Ebay I now have some very stong pretty cool looking buckets which did an excellent job of holding water this weekend. In the picture there are only three shown and that is because I use the plain fourth to put my used microfibres in. On the rear of the stickers are colour coded Gumball stickers which correspond with black for wheels and rinse and white for wash. This means I can see which bucket is which without having to turn them around.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
grit guards are for people who buy expensive buckets.
didn't know wickes did big buckets like that, result.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I highly recommend the use of a grit guard. You only need it in one of your buckets. Your rinse bucket.

It allows all the crap to settle under the guard and not necessarily be floating around, you can also rub your mitt on the guard to allow the dirt to dis-embed from the fibres.

They aren't expensive. The fact you're using 3 buckets is a fantastic start. Good work.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I like what you did with the buckets, very creative.

Grit guards are one of those things where some like them whilst others do not. I only use one bucket and no grit guard but I am using a rinseless wash

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I don't use a grit guard.. just use the top 5 or 6 inches of water to rinse the mitt (liek washing your hands), rather than rubbing it along the bottom..

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Top tip !! I've been thinking of buying some new posh buckets for a while but like you was put off by the price, I shall be down to Wickes this weekend and job sorted, thanks

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I highly recommend the use of a grit guard. You only need it in one of your buckets. Your rinse bucket.

It allows all the crap to settle under the guard and not necessarily be floating around, you can also rub your mitt on the guard to allow the dirt to dis-embed from the fibres.

They aren't expensive. The fact you're using 3 buckets is a fantastic start. Good work.
I've been using three buckets for years (they were just a bit smaller) as well as a regularly fluffed up wookies fist, and allocated different grade microfibers. I knew my now wife was the woman for me when I found her cleaning the Alfa badges with a earbud. :thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts