Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my mito (etna black) for the first time yesterday using auto glym and some soft lambswool and microfibre clothes. I followed the instructions, risning immeditaly, doing the car in sections and drying using another soft microbfibre cloth.

Upon drying I noted the following:

front headlight plastic has seemingly bubbled (looks like permenent soap marks that wont come off)

chrome around headlights has tarnished with permenant water marks

I dont know if my washing has caused this or not as i have not driven the car since I got it I wouldnt have noticed. She's only a week old and im devestated. :cry:

Has anyone seen this before and how on earth do I sort it without having to buy new headlight and surround, the rest of the car is fine btw no other marks.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Hmmm, odd one this. I feared this happened to my car after I'd cleaned it for the first time, but a wipe with a microfibre cloth got rid of the stains.

Maybe try a metal polish of some kind? Meguiars do an excellent metal polish.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
If its surface corrosion then its a warranty exchange

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Back to the dealer it should go. Don't tell them you've used anything on it other that what is recommended for cleaning in the handbook.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I agree with Quadrofoglio. I'm sure it must be a poorly manufactured part you've had though. There's no way something like Auto Glym should do something like that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
There is no way a Polycarbonate headlamp lens should bubble/tarnish/show any form of 'corrosion'. We have to test every lamp that is developed for a whole heap of common chemicals that may come into contact with the lens, including; oil, coolant, fuel, Isopropyl Alcohol etc and they must show no signs of cracking, crazing, discolouration, or deformation.
If this has happened to your lamp and it is not something purely cosmetic that can easily be removed then it is a manufacturing fault with the component and you should have it replaced under warranty. It could also be a problem with the Hardcoat that is applied to the Polycarbonate that protects against stone chips & impacts from scratching the lens. If this hasn't been applied properly or been cured correctly then it is possible that you may see some form of blistering and pitting. In extreme cases it will start to come away from the lens in large flakes.
As for the chrome trim then I can't comment but I'm pretty sure that they should go through similar testing as the lamp, so if something has damaged the finish on that aswell then it could well be liable for warranty replacement. Best to argue 'not fit for purpose' if the stealer gets awkward.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
although i can't see your headlight surrounds, it doesn't sound like the end of the world or noticeable from more than 30cm away

B

·
0 Posts
I washed my mito (etna black) for the first time yesterday using auto glym and some soft lambswool and microfibre clothes. I followed the instructions, risning immeditaly, doing the car in sections and drying using another soft microbfibre cloth.

Upon drying I noted the following:

front headlight plastic has seemingly bubbled (looks like permenent soap marks that wont come off)

chrome around headlights has tarnished with permenant water marks

I dont know if my washing has caused this or not as i have not driven the car since I got it I wouldnt have noticed. She's only a week old and im devestated. :cry:

Has anyone seen this before and how on earth do I sort it without having to buy new headlight and surround, the rest of the car is fine btw no other marks.
Sounds bizarre, and Auto Glym is great stuff.

What was the weather like when you washed it?

If it was baking hot like it seemed to be here all day yesterday then you will do a car no favours washing it in such conditions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update, my mto went back to the dealers this morning to have her missing parking sensors fitted. I pointed out the marks and got an answer.....

Apparantly they spray the car with a heavy wax during trasnportation for protection. This had simply bubbled somehow. I think from what I understand this layer wears off with time. Could have been the heat or simply washing it. (PS washed it at night when it was cool and no sunshine)

After a lot of elbow grease all marks including those on the chrome have been removed by the dealer. Very pleased with their response.

Panic over, I will continue with my autoglym washing routine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It could also be a problem with the Hardcoat that is applied to the Polycarbonate that protects against stone chips & impacts from scratching the lens. If this hasn't been applied properly or been cured correctly then it is possible that you may see some form of blistering and pitting. In extreme cases it will start to come away from the lens in large flakes.

Absolutely spot on, thanks for your reply

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sounds bizarre, and Auto Glym is great stuff.

What was the weather like when you washed it?

If it was baking hot like it seemed to be here all day yesterday then you will do a car no favours washing it in such conditions.
If we waited for a day when it wasn't hot (as in very) and sunny here in Dubai we would never wash our cars :cheese:

No but seriously I agree with all said about avoiding washing in those conditions.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hand washed and dried mine 3 times now, use Meguires Detailing spray and had no probs - deffinate return to dealer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts