Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t use my car everyday, (unfortunately I live too close to where I work!) and if I left it for more than 3 days, the battery would be totally flat. The car didn’t seem to have the right battery so I bought a new one and this seems to have fixed the problem. My only concern now is when the engine is running I can hear the battery bubbling. Should this be happening or could there be too much charge going to battery?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
629 Posts
battery bubbling does not sound right, may well be an alternator problem, check what the volts are when the engine is running, should be around 14v not much more.
you could also check that the vent hose if connected is not blocked, although i doubt that would cause the problem.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
We used to expect 13.7 volts when charging. I think your voltage controller has died. This will kill the battery very quickly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
HI, with the engine running just slightly higher than tick over and no load being on, IE heater, lights etc you should measure no more that 14/14.5 volts. If it is higher ie 15.5 upwards it would sound like the regulator pack on your alternator has gone duff. unlikely it has as they normally go dead when broken. You would want to get it checked ASAP as if it is running high then you will be damaging all electrical components by "stressing them".

A battery will bubble very slightly when fully charged but should not be like a soda stream and should not get very warm/hot.

PS don't under any circumstances run the engine with the battery disconnected as this will blow the alternator for sure.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Battery bubbling is a no, no :tut: The one on my 33 was doing it when I tried recharging it, had to buy a new one in the end.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Plates sulphating, Diodes in Alt? Hydrogen gas, good old fashioned Lead/Acids. Roll on a complete car covered in Solar Panels. Totally wishful thinking, in the meantime, aching lumbar regions.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I checked my battery this weekend and it is reading 14v with the engine running, so everything seems fine. It may be just that I’m not used to having the battery behind the driver’s seat and being able to hear it!

Thanks for the advice guys. :)

·
Registered
629 Posts
best thing to do is to connect a multimeter to the ciggy socket to see what readings you get at different speeds, with loads like lights etc switched on. when mine went faulty the reading was still 14v at tickover.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, I checked my battery this weekend and it is reading 14v with the engine running, so everything seems fine. It may be just that I’m not used to having the battery behind the driver’s seat and being able to hear it!

Thanks for the advice guys. :)
MMMM. I thinks if you can hear it bubbling from the drivers seat it might be something else...maybe. Even when batteries do bubble on full charge I would think you would be hard pushed to hear it from through the boot :eek: .

Just an idea. Maybe you have a built in hot tub and just don't realise it yet :D

Regards

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
SR, naughty, my hearing is so duff now, I'd never hear it anyway. Loud Rock Music, so now just content myself with permanent tinnitus,can't vary it though, unlike ICS stuff, it's always ON.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MMMM. I thinks if you can hear it bubbling from the drivers seat it might be something else...maybe. Even when batteries do bubble on full charge I would think you would be hard pushed to hear it from through the boot .
The battery is in the compartment just behind the seat, not in the boot and I do have to listen carefully to hear it, and it is only a very gentle bubbling noise. On all the previous cars I have owned, the battery is always under the bonnet so you couldn't hear it over the engine running, so I wasn't sure if that was normal or not!

I will test the voltage with the lights on, etc, and see if it makes a difference.

Just an idea. Maybe you have a built in hot tub and just don't realise it yet
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I never hear the battery in my GTV...

·
Registered
16,710 Posts

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
It's normal for a battery to bubble.. you just don't normally hear it.

When is subjected to an electrical charge you get hydrogen gas bubbles and oxygen released from the negative and positive nodes respectively.

You can't pass an electric current through a battery and not get gas discharged.

Ralf S.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts