Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is Alan Gow playing at?

Since the good old days of the Super Tourers, the viewers, spectators and teams has dwindled. I understand Alan Gow dropped the Super Tourers due to the costs being so high and manufacturers were pulling out of this as cars alone were costing £2m +

Its rediculous now though.....7 years on and they are still on the downward spiral and the cars are much slower than before.
For example the cars used to run 320bhp and now run 270bhp and this year there are just TWO factory teams....needless to say I will not be going to many races this year especially given the fact the tickets are still £35+ for the weekend:eek:

Very disappointing indeed. I am more into the VW cup and F3/GT racing now, not to mention WTCC and many others!

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
He's brought the BTCC into line with the WTCC (i.e. Super 2000 Regs)to try and attract more manufacturers !! ;)

There are two official factory teams in the BTCC (SEAT and Vauxhall) and three manufacturers the WTCC (Chevy, SEAT, BMW) but plenty of privateers to make up the numbers !! :) Alfa are there but not a a factory team although N. Technology will get lots of support IIRC !!?? :)

Maybe this will happen in the UK !!?? ;)

Lets face it though... now the WTCC has been reinstated (from the ETCC) it's a bigger pull for the manufacturers isn't it !!?? :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eactly though - if you get tons of privateers, you may as well class it as club racing. The whole point of the BTCC was to have high profile drivers and manufacturers and sadly this has got worse and worse over the years.

I take you point that he wants to bring in the S2000 spec to attract them, but the point I was trying to make is thats what he has been saying since 2000 and look at whats happened.

IMO BTCC is dead and will go the eaxct same way as the WRC. Shame but true.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Yup unfortunately your prediction looks more and more likely to come true dude it's sad to say !! :(

He is trying IMO but maybe in the wrong direction !!??

We need a return to big-hairy-**** off-RWD-V8 beasties methinks !! ;)

:D

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I'm hoping to be at Brands in September for the WTCC - Alfa have a team :)

·
Administrator
46,123 Posts
I think the problem was that he tried to make sure they avoided live TV broadcasts of the races to try to pull people in to watch it at the tracks, but it wasn't widely enough publicised to achieve that, and now it's gone a bit crappy, it probably never will be.

If they'd got it on a premium channel when it was huge - i.e. when the Volvos, Alfas and Audis were scrapping it out, and there were maybe 9 or 10 manufacturers involved, then that would have drawn people in.
They tried to make money by avoiding TV, not realising that TV is exactly where the money is.

Very annoying, BTCC used to be an incredible spectacle. Admittedly, that was largely due to the size of those Volvo estates, and the clear inability of Jan Lammers to drive. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dust the cobwebs off of the old 155's and bring em' back:p

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I usually go to one or two races a Year (Wifey gets free tickets through her work) but I get more enjoyment from watching my full season videos I recorded of the 95,96 and 97 seasons...that was REAL touring car racing and was always fun to watch!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually go to one or two races a Year (Wifey gets free tickets through her work) but I get more enjoyment from watching my full season videos I recorded of the 95,96 and 97 seasons...that was REAL touring car racing and was always fun to watch!
Exactly Jason! I have from 1988 to 2001 and the best years IMO were from 1990 to 2000. Great drivers great cars great manufacturers..now its just a bunch of independants with crappy drivers & tv presenters.
No doubt the BTCC will go the way of the WRC where its not even on shown any terrestrial TV channel!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts