Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate them with a passion! Heres why.

In February 2009 we changed our phone line from AOL back to BT. I called BT and asked for the cheapest way to do so, I don't use my home phone line at all really, just need it for broadband.

Anyway, I was told that their basic option with free evening and weekend calls would be cheapest at about £10 a month. So I had it.

I've now swapped my line to Talktalk with broadband. BT have charged me £44 to cancel my service contract!

I didn't know I had a contract! It appears that all BT contracts except line rental only are rolling 12 month contracts which renew on the anniversay of you signing up! You don't get told, you don't get asked, they just do it. Its like a mobile phone company which never lets you out of your contract.

Thieving scum bags.

The end.

PS - I shall never ever pay BT a penny after this, not a single brass penny.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We are having a fight with Tiscali (our provider) and BT. For 1 month now we have been having trouble with noise on the phone line, so bad that our internet kicks out and we have whole days of not being able to use the internet or hear what people are saying on the phone. Tiscali were convinced it was our equipment and after various combinations of filters, phones, routers and modems, they eventually agreed that it was the line at fault. BT claim there is nothing wrong with the phone line. So we are stuck with intermittent internet and a phone that you can't use because of the noise on it. I'm just about ready to scream.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, just felt the need to vent on BT and Tiscali.

·
Registered
212 Posts
We are having a fight with Tiscali (our provider) and BT. For 1 month now we have been having trouble with noise on the phone line, so bad that our internet kicks out and we have whole days of not being able to use the internet or hear what people are saying on the phone. Tiscali were convinced it was our equipment and after various combinations of filters, phones, routers and modems, they eventually agreed that it was the line at fault. BT claim there is nothing wrong with the phone line. So we are stuck with intermittent internet and a phone that you can't use because of the noise on it. I'm just about ready to scream.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, just felt the need to vent on BT and Tiscali.
Had the same problem with BT not believing their line was at fault because they 'tested' it. However, I still insisted they came around (knowing that I may have to pay if problem was on my side of the junction box) Lo and behold the line to my house was faulty and BT repaired it. Suggest you ask them to come to house and take a look.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know I had a contract! It appears that all BT contracts except line rental only are rolling 12 month contracts which renew on the anniversay of you signing up! You don't get told, you don't get asked, they just do it.
i didnt know that, will have to check mine as i wanted to change it soon

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
Had the same problem with BT not believing their line was at fault because they 'tested' it. However, I still insisted they came around (knowing that I may have to pay if problem was on my side of the junction box) Lo and behold the line to my house was faulty and BT repaired it. Suggest you ask them to come to house and take a look.
Have been trying to get what I believe is a line problem sorted for months. Even written to the CEO and amazingly things get better for a while then back to normal, rubbish.

We had a few thunderstorms and showers here last Friday and my router was clicking away like a good un, disconnect, connect, disconnect ad nauseum. That morning I had reached the dizzy line speed of 1600kbps, I was overjoyed. :rolleyes:

By the end of the day back down to 1100 ish. It is slowly creeping up again, slowly, but it doesn't matter - next time it rains it will probably drop to about 700 again.

I know that they could put a TDR on the line and locate what I believe is a poor connection somewhere between me and the exchange, it would take five minutes. However I might as well believe that I will win the lottery, probably have a better chance of this even though I don't buy any tickets. :mad:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Everyone has a BT story. Mine revolves around using up £18 credit on a mobile trying and failing to get through to someone why might be able to help on their 0800 number. You see, I didn't have a working land line....

·
Registered
764 Posts
Everyone has a BT story. Mine revolves around using up £18 credit on a mobile trying and failing to get through to someone why might be able to help on their 0800 number. You see, I didn't have a working land line....
Does my head in that, it doesn't take a genius to work out that if your line is down you are almost certainly going to be ringing from a mobile so why not give you a normal number to ring? :tut:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My last BT cancellation wasn't as painful as my British Gas cancellation.

Gave them my final readings, paid my final bill over the phone, moved from Scotland back to N.Ireland.

For a YEAR after I moved back, I was getting "final demand" bills from them, threatening court action! Ended up they owed me and sent me a cheque for £40!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I’ve been with BT for some years now as they always price match to keep my business and have always made me aware that by renewing im tied into another 12 months contract with them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Engineer visiting house tomorrow.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Those of you with a dodgy internet connection where you think the BT copper is at fault, and they think that your household system is at fault...

Have you tried the one about taking the faceplate off the BT socket and pugging your router straight into the one underneath? It somehow cuts your household wiring out of the equation. You could generate your router stats this way and the normal way. The support site of your ISP should have something (if you can reach it). At least it can provide a little ammunition for talking to BT (and if they come round it's probably the first thing they'll do)..

·
Super Moderator
44,737 Posts
Good point - it's exactly what my ISP helpdesk asked me to do to confirm that the problem was with the BT wiring and not that in my house.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
Those of you with a dodgy internet connection where you think the BT copper is at fault, and they think that your household system is at fault...

Have you tried the one about taking the faceplate off the BT socket and pugging your router straight into the one underneath? It somehow cuts your household wiring out of the equation. You could generate your router stats this way and the normal way. The support site of your ISP should have something (if you can reach it). At least it can provide a little ammunition for talking to BT (and if they come round it's probably the first thing they'll do)..
Yep, done this.

At the time I was running about 1200 and the direct connection revealed a speed of about 1400 which the gentleman from Bombay said was OK and this was about right.

Didn't explain why for months I'd been running at 1900 with no problems. Currently running at 1650 but it looks like rain again so expect to drop by about 50% soon after the rain comes. :mad:

The house wiring is 100% and the master socket ( and only socket ) is less than a foot from my router and computer. Although not a telephone expert I am an electronics techie and do know something about these things so I'm sure that my side of things has no problems. A friend just 300 yards down the road who is also with BT and has a 25 yard cheapo plug in extension lead is running at 2.4Mbps.

I'm convinced that there is a dodgy connection somewhere along the route, could even be in the junction on the pole where my drop wire goes but trying to get BT to do anything......

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
In my opinion, BT is one of the worst companies in the UK. Their accounts dept is run by thieving, money grabbers and it is impossible to make a complaint. How can anyone seriously issue an invoice with a payment date that is just 4 days away (2 working days) and threaten a late payment fee if the bill is not paid by then? Total cowboys.

A while ago I reported a fault with my BT line. I went through the usual process of unplugging all my gear from the line and testing with a corded phone and the fault was still there. BT came round, agreed it was their line at fault and replaced the wire linking the house to the telegraph pole. In the process, the engineer drilled a really rough hole through the window frame, splitting the wood in several places and generally made a right mess. A few days later, the line failed again and I called BT back. Looking at the state of the new cable fitted by the engineer and the general shoddy standard of work, I wasn't at all surprised that it had failed again. However, this time BT said it was an 'internal wiring fault' and not their line. I was charged a large sum for calling them out 'wrongly' and they offered to fix the fault for me at a very high hourly rate. I declined and sent the engineer packing. I still had to pay the large callout charge. Imagine my anger when I discovered that the first engineer had damaged our internal wiring when he fixed the first fault. BT weren't interested and I was stuck with the callout charge.

Useless accounts dept, useless engineers, misleading bills that don't define exactly what you are paying for etc etc.

·
Registered
764 Posts
In my opinion, BT is one of the worst companies in the UK. Their accounts dept is run by thieving, money grabbers and it is impossible to make a complaint. How can anyone seriously issue an invoice with a payment date that is just 4 days away (2 working days) and threaten a late payment fee if the bill is not paid by then? Total cowboys.
Agreed, I don't like the late payment fees anyway which are tantamount to actually fining you which is technically illegal. Trouble is with any of the supply companies, but particularly BT, they have you over a barrel - pay up including the "fine" or get cut off.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Agreed, I don't like the late payment fees anyway which are tantamount to actually fining you which is technically illegal. Trouble is with any of the supply companies, but particularly BT, they have you over a barrel - pay up including the "fine" or get cut off.
My solution to the problem, given that it's impossible to avoid the "fine", is to pay them as late as possible, challenge any discrepancies on the bill and insist on a new paper bill if any problems are found. That really does seem to cause them a lot of trouble. Awful company.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Already challenging my latest bill, I have three calls on it. It might not sound much but I don't have a phone plugged into the line, I only use it for broadband.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts