Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Why should BT automatically be able to fix a problem that was in no way caused by them? I agree if it's affecting a lot of their customers you may expect them to pick up on it but it's a bit rich slagging them off when the problem was clearly with your PC. They would've also wasted a lot of time at their end testing your line, checking the account etc.
Well, when I rang them up, I explained that I was having a problem with my broadband connection and I wanted to know if there was a problem with my connection. If they had spent 5 minutes answering that question and said "sorry but there's no fault with your line" then I would have been happy. The fact is that over a 2 hour period they wouldn't / couldn't tell me if there was a fault or not with the line, and ended up promising to investigate further and call back, which they didn't.

R

·
0 Posts
Well, when I rang them up, I explained that I was having a problem with my broadband connection and I wanted to know if there was a problem with my connection. If they had spent 5 minutes answering that question and said "sorry but there's no fault with your line" then I would have been happy. The fact is that over a 2 hour period they wouldn't / couldn't tell me if there was a fault or not with the line, and ended up promising to investigate further and call back, which they didn't.
Fair enough, that is a bit poor!

I've worked in a support role for an ISP in the past and it was very easy to check if a user was connected or not which instantly eliminates a lot of potential causes of the problem. If BT staff can't do this they really need to sort that out.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,310 Posts
Had a problem with the line speed a week or so ago, was down to 428kbs, not happy. :mad:

Having been through the help desk 'phone system decided that this was not the way to go and e mailed them. Had a reply very quickly saying that they were looking into it. Two hours later got a reply saying that they had done line checks etc and found no problem and then went on to teach me to suck eggs, " Is your PC switched on and speed varies throughout the day " and similar rubbish. Spitting teeth I went and did another speed check. Amazing, up to 1.9mbs and has stayed consistently between 1.6 - 1.9 since then, I can only hope it continues.

So was there a fault which they did not admit to but fixed or was it pure coincidence ? I know what I think, what about you ? :confused:

D

·
0 Posts
A quick and easy fix I found for slow speeds is to try replacing the master socket in the house. It costs about a fiver off the net and there's 2 wires inside a phone socket. My speed went from 500k to 2meg from lowering the resistance in the corroded connectors in the master socket. Technically, it's BTs property and you should keep the original in case they ask questions.

Best of all, ditch BT internet all together, I don't know why people still use them for their ISP - maybe the nice smiley man and his wife on the advert convinced you. Get shot of them and use a decent ISP like ADSL24, UKFSN, Be*, Zen, Aquiss. Steer well clear of the big McDonalds flavour internet: BT, AOL and Tiscali, they are a nightmare to deal with and charge far too much for what you get

·
16,310 Posts
A quick and easy fix I found for slow speeds is to try replacing the master socket in the house. It costs about a fiver off the net and there's 2 wires inside a phone socket. My speed went from 500k to 2meg from lowering the resistance in the corroded connectors in the master socket. Technically, it's BTs property and you should keep the original in case they ask questions.

Best of all, ditch BT internet all together, I don't know why people still use them for their ISP - maybe the nice smiley man and his wife on the advert convinced you. Get shot of them and use a decent ISP like ADSL24, UKFSN, Be*, Zen, Aquiss. Steer well clear of the big McDonalds flavour internet: BT, AOL and Tiscali, they are a nightmare to deal with and charge far too much for what you get
:thumbs: Hi Dibby, did this earlier following your advice and things went well for a while and then the odd drop in line speed occurred but usually only for short periods. When the last episode happened and dropped to 420ish for three days I'd had enough. The complaint seemed to have worked.....

BT was a good deal at the time, not so sure now. Was considering the Post Office option, have heard good reports on this.

One question. I have a BB 'Phone ( not a computer phone but a normal one with it's own number that works through BB ) that I use a lot. Do other ISP's support this ??

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm sticking with mobile internet. Just as fast (in my area)and never had a single issue!:thumbs:

D

·
0 Posts
One question. I have a BB 'Phone ( not a computer phone but a normal one with it's own number that works through BB ) that I use a lot. Do other ISP's support this ??
Never used a BB phone so I don't know much about them, it must be a computer phone in disguise that talks to the router so when people ring the number the router interrupts it and sends the call to the phone handset. Otherwise it'll be a plain old house phone needlessly plugged into the router. Try unplugging the router, plug a normal house phone directly into the line and ringing the same number if it rings you'll be able to keep the number. Best to ring BT (if you can get hold of them), they'll know for sure.

BT have a very smart marketing outfit so their packages always looks like a good deal on the outside but hidden in the smallprint you'll probably be tied in to a 12 month contract and have certain traffic throttled down to less than 512k even if you're lucky enough to sync at 8meg. Have you gone through your usage limits and BT are throttling all your traffic?

Have a look at this page and see if your exchange is overloaded: Exchange Status Checker
Or this page to see what products have been installed in your exchange if you want to swap: Samknows Broadband - Exchange Search

·
16,310 Posts
Never used a BB phone so I don't know much about them, it must be a computer phone in disguise that talks to the router so when people ring the number the router interrupts it and sends the call to the phone handset. Otherwise it'll be a plain old house phone needlessly plugged into the router. Try unplugging the router, plug a normal house phone directly into the line and ringing the same number if it rings you'll be able to keep the number. Best to ring BT (if you can get hold of them), they'll know for sure.

BT have a very smart marketing outfit so their packages always looks like a good deal on the outside but hidden in the smallprint you'll probably be tied in to a 12 month contract and have certain traffic throttled down to less than 512k even if you're lucky enough to sync at 8meg. Have you gone through your usage limits and BT are throttling all your traffic?

Have a look at this page and see if your exchange is overloaded: Exchange Status Checker
Or this page to see what products have been installed in your exchange if you want to swap: Samknows Broadband - Exchange Search
The 'phone is through the router and is a separate entity altogether, has it's own number, a BB one, although you can opt for a normal number. For example, my mate in East Yorkshire has an Aberdeen number. It's a very good system, works well and saves me loadsa money, most of my calls are to overseas numbers and it has cut these costs tremendously, I can thoroughly recommend this to anyone who makes a lot of international calls, especially to mobiles. Found it hard to track down the prices for calls, spent hours on yet another cruddy BT website and couldn't find out exactly what the costs were. However the first bill revealed all, for instance, saving over 30 pence a minute to a Cyprus mobile.

No, not exceeding my download, generally just a browser, not a downloader of any big files. Either this month or next they are also scrapping the download limit so it becomes a pretty fair deal. The only snag is that I have found the service a bit iffy, complete failure once since last November and a few issues with the speed. Just done a check, and I know that these speedcheckers are not really giving you the true speed, nonetheless they do serve as a day to day comparison so you have an idea of what's going on. One hour ago downloaded at 1.888 and up at 357, so as I'm only paying for a 2mb service I'm very happy with this. I think the problem last week was down to a fault which for some reason they don't want to admit to.

Thanks for the links, I'll have a look later, the "Sam " one does sounds familiar though.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
BT Helpdesk is up there with Tiscalli for uselessness.

A lot of these helpdesks pay people peanuts to read scripts...you can't expect them to know anything really.

N

·
0 Posts
T I can thoroughly recommend this to anyone who makes a lot of international calls, especially to mobiles. Found it hard to track down the prices for calls, spent hours on yet another cruddy BT website and couldn't find out exactly what the costs were. However the first bill revealed all, for instance, saving over 30 pence a minute to a Cyprus mobile.

VOIP phones that plug into the router are just another pain-in-the-arse
thing to go wrong.

I use jajah. Much easier and way more flexible.
(Works from mobiles too. ;)

·
16,310 Posts
VOIP phones that plug into the router are just another pain-in-the-arse
thing to go wrong.

I use jajah. Much easier and way more flexible.
(Works from mobiles too. ;)
Mine works well Nev, always has. The quality is good and the price is right, the money I've saved more than pays for the whole BB bill.

However, please do tell us more about jahjah. What is it ? Hope it's not one of these call redirect things like World Calls etc, these do not work out well for calling some international mobiles, Cyprus in my case.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Technically, it's BTs property and you should keep the original in case they ask questions.
It depends where the fault is. I was once charged £160 by BT for a fault in the master socket because they claimed the BACK half of the socket is theirs but the FRONT half is mine, and therefore my problem.

Fourtunately BT Openreach can only talk to the ISP, not me, and they billed the ISP for it. I refused to pay and the ISP gave in and said they would foot the bill for me. The ISP is Eclipse, they are pretty good all round.

D

·
0 Posts
Woah! £160!!! It's a £5 component off the net, those BT boys know how to make money.

Good job you didn't have to pay in the end

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I agree with CampFreddie, foreign call centres are useless, and I'm not racist either, because my wife is from Asia.
I wonder about the "big boys" - BT, AOL, Tiscali, because they seem to have a good reputation and standing.
AOL were sh?te with me when I changed to broadband, because they didn't change the free line correctly.
It may be an idea to post the most efficient providers on this forum.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I was with Eclipse, I moved house 3 weeks before my first 12 month contract was up (was happy to this point) and they tried to charge me £70 to cancel the contract and then I would have had to start a new 12 month contract....So I told them to go jump:mad:

D

·
0 Posts
I agree with CampFreddie, foreign call centres are useless, and I'm not racist either, because my wife is from Asia.
Being from Gloucestershire originally, I find foreign call centres can't understand my thick bumpkin accent and I always have trouble understanding them. Me and foreign call centres don't get on well.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
When i get through to a foreign call centre i always put on a thick devon accent.......What fun I have :lol: Always get transferred to a uk centre fairly quickly

·
Super Moderator
22,994 Posts
Been there -master sockets only exist in houses built in the last 10 years or so.

I know - I had a 2 hour discussion with the helpdesk where they insisted I grubbed about looking for a master socket in a 20 year old house where (I knew) all you got was the standard BT wiring.

Yes, I pretended to look.

Yes I did look the next day - and there was, of course, no master socket.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts