Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
23,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have now moved - it's great.

We had arranged for our telephone and broadband connection to be moved simultaneously - new number broadband would both work on the removal day.

In the event we got the new number but not the broadband. After hours on the phone the answer I finally got was that they tried to connect the broadband before the phone line so it didn't work. Please don't even try to imagine my response.

Bottom line?

I now have to wait until 30 October before they can try again - why? - believe me I cannot get any sense out of them.

I am still reduced to using the iPhone to post at a rate of about 1/4 dialup.

Not happy

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
But everyone knows you don't use BT for broadband (or anything else when possible)....don't they???

·
Administrator
23,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But everyone knows you don't use BT for broadband (or anything else when possible)....don't they???
Hi Corbo,

Can you hear the softness in my voice?

Now then feel this stick connect with your skull.

Never mess it a BT reject.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
They are utterly hopeless aren't they

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Oh the abuse, now feel my abuse back at you via 8meg broadband....does it hurt?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
the same happened to us when we moved round the corner 4 years ago. they put the phone line in wrongly to begin with and completely forgot to do the broadband and my business line which was a bundle of laughs as i was working from home at the time. trying to get sense out of them on the phone was like pulling my fingernails out with pliers, constant buck-passing from one clueless department to the next. as soon as my contract was up i switched to another provider for all my services and i swore i will never do any business in any way, shape or form with BT as long as i live

·
Administrator
23,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh the abuse, now feel my abuse back at you via 8meg broadband....does it hurt?
It certainly smarts a bit.
Seriously these three posts have taken almost an hour in total to send.

So I guess I'll not be around for while longer.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
the same happened to us when we moved round the corner 4 years ago. they put the phone line in wrongly to begin with and completely forgot to do the broadband and my business line which was a bundle of laughs as i was working from home at the time. trying to get sense out of them on the phone was like pulling my fingernails out with pliers, constant buck-passing from one clueless department to the next. as soon as my contract was up i switched to another provider for all my services and i swore i will never do any business in any way, shape or form with BT as long as i live
Easier said than done, they are a monopoly plain and simple.

I switched my business line to another provider. When I didn't answer I wanted the call diverted to my call answering service seemlessly. With BT this was fine. With my new supplier I had a voice on the line saying "please wait, your call is being diverted". I thought this was unprofessional, so I asked for it to be removed.

Ultimately my supplier had to ask BT to remove it. BT said it wasn't possible. The only way I could get it removed was to go back to BT.

The sooner mobile broadband speeds surpass copper the better.

·
Administrator
23,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it all back.

I had a call form a BT engineer - he said he had seen my case on his laptop and, although it was nothing to do with him, decided to take it up - "because the whole thing was so obviously ridiculous".

Low and behold a day later it works. Officially nothing can be done until 30 October. I don't know who he is but if he phones again then the drinks are on me.

There really are some decent people around.

·
Administrator
45,770 Posts
What a lovely end to a (until then) depressingly familiar story of buraucracy and 'computer says no' call centre woes.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I take it all back.

I had a call form a BT engineer - he said he had seen my case on his laptop and, although it was nothing to do with him, decided to take it up - "because the whole thing was so obviously ridiculous".

Low and behold a day later it works. Officially nothing can be done until 30 October. I don't know who he is but if he phones again then the drinks are on me.

There really are some decent people around.
:wow:

That's unusual! Nice guy!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brother-in-law worked for BT Openreach (the broadband peeps), his job was to connect people to broadband... he had a lap-top from home and he hit the 'authorise' button a few times to get someone broadband, occasionally he'd need to goto the exchange and run a wire through... it's so easy a baby could do it!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:wow:

That's unusual! Nice guy!!!
He's not a "nice guy" he's on overtime ... on of my mates works for BT and he often goes "on call" over the weekend, usually this means him sitting around doing sweet FA and getting paid for it ... however if he actually does a job he gets even more money ... so imagine the situation, BT guy sitting at home earning money, see's on his BT laptop an easy job ...

Brother-in-law worked for BT Openreach (the broadband peeps), his job was to connect people to broadband... he had a lap-top from home and he hit the 'authorise' button a few times to get someone broadband, occasionally he'd need to goto the exchange and run a wire through... it's so easy a baby could do it!
... hits the 'authorise' button and cha-ching a nice little earner in his back pocket ... job done ...

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Hate to say this but I've had the top 4 IP's over the years (Virgin, BT, Orange/Freeserve/Wanadoo and AOL) and the only one that's given me no trouble at all is BT, my phone, tinternet and BT Vision (free upgraded council telly), AOL is just so full of crap when it installs, Wanadoo kept droping off 3/4 times a day (on the top package) and Virgin, well I wont even get started on that one.

But the 30 day wait is because the MAC number that your account is held on is valid for 30 days, but if it's entered on an invalid line then you cant do a thing with the account or the main server is confused (as explained to me by the Virgin customer support), unfortunately I know that a load of boll-ox, the reasosn as explained by my cousin who works in said call centre is that it takes that long for the paper trail to find its way back to the connection department (I guess they use thier own trains to move the files around???).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts