Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bt / Open Reach / whatever you are currently calling yourselves - once again you have proved to me how useless you are. An engineer of theirs working on the neighbour's phone appears to have broken my line but denied all responsibilty. After agreeing to come into my house to check the line, he successfully took out my broadband connection as well and promptly blamed the phone line in the road for being "weak". After I dismissed this idea, he admitted breaking the cable in the house, so put this right, restoring my broadband.

I reported the broken phone to BT online as the engineer said he could do no more. I've just checked their web site and they "closed the case" this morning, yet my line is still dead. They have my mobile number, so why the hell haven't they called me to check that I'm happy? I've just reported the fault again, which gives them another three working days. Unbelievably useless company. This is the second time in less than a month that their engineers have broken my phone line due to incompetence.

As for their billing department - words fail me.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BT have finally had the courtesy to come back to me. It's now Weds, which is a full 5 days since I first reported the fault and are now telling me it may not be fixed till Monday! In addition they made the usual threat about fining me £130 if they decide it's my fault. I told them I'm seriously considering fining them the same amount for messing me about. Useless, useless company.

·
Registered
963 Posts
BT e-mail me religiously every month with a bill for -£1.35. It refers to a line in our old house that we discontinued a couple of years before moving, so it is around 3 years old now.

They cannot close the account without a zero balance, and yet are unable to process a refund for an amount this small. I'm half tempted to go back to paper billing just to get my revenge, however in this day and age it probably isn't the responsible thing to do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i had issues with bt for 11 months, being charged the wrong ammount (£10 pm) for my line and broadband,on the 12th month it was sorted and a refund was given i had great joy in telling them to cancel my package as i was going to O2.

cant fault O2 at all great service, speed was 2.5 times faster than bt and they have just given me 6 months free broadband for signing up again

E

·
0 Posts
i had issues with bt for 11 months, being charged the wrong ammount (£10 pm) for my line and broadband,on the 12th month it was sorted and a refund was given i had great joy in telling them to cancel my package as i was going to O2.

cant fault O2 at all great service, speed was 2.5 times faster than bt and they have just given me 6 months free broadband for signing up again
I got a month free broadband from o2 after mine was down for a few days. This was down to construction work cutting through a major link somewhere and nothing to do with o2 themselves, can't really fault that :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my sarcasm to BT on my mobile last night paid off, because an engineer arrived this morning. He hasn't actually managed to fix the fault yet, because apparently it's underground, but at least he was polite and competent. Makes a refreshing change.

·
Registered
422 Posts
BT annoyed me a couple of years ago when we moved house - all was well until I got a random call off some debt collection agency suggesting I owed them £115, and if I didn't pay card over the phone there and then they would send the bailiffs. I called BT and it turned out they had not transferred £6.20 from my old account to my new address, which then turned into £115 through a debt collector and had kept sending bills to my old address.... I paid the £6.20 and promptly left when the contract was up.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BT have now fixed my phone after a 6 day wait and have admitted that the engineer who worked on the neighbour's connection broke mine.

Whilst I accept that accidents will happen I don't accept the fact that

a) BT closed down my original fault report without consulting me, when the line wasn't fixed
b) BT phoned me and threatened me with a £130 bill (in the event that the problem was in my house).

BT need to learn manners and respect their customers more. Given that they were prepared to charge me £130, I think I should get £130 compensation for loss of service for 6 days due to their incompetence.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think I should get £130 compensation for loss of service for 6 days due to their incompetence.
Compensation for what? 6 days of no phone line (assuming £14 per month line rental) is worth £2.80.
BT are annoying and useless most of the time, but to expect wages of compensation when they haven't actually cost you any money is daft. Write to the Daily Mail.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Exactly the problem when companies get as big and monopolising as BT are. I refuse to have any dealings with them at all now, and have had Sky or Virgin in my last two houses. Generally nice and friendly and touch wood fantastic service all round. In fact this time Sky hooked up my phone line for me themselves (property had no line in) and charge me much less for line rental as well, so all in all win-win.

They are useless *******s at BT :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Compensation for what? 6 days of no phone line (assuming £14 per month line rental) is worth £2.80.
BT are annoying and useless most of the time, but to expect wages of compensation when they haven't actually cost you any money is daft. Write to the Daily Mail.
It's the principle. If they come to my house, spend 5 minutes in there and decide the fault is within the house, I get a £130 bill. It's a long story that I won't bore you with, but this actually happened to me a long time ago and it turned out that one of their engineers had damaged my internal house wiring on a previous visit, but I still got charged.

BT have cost me 6 days of mobile phone charges, (£20), have adopted a threatening attitude with me and caused the problem in the first place by breaking my line. I think I should get the same compensation that they insist on if it's 'my' fault. Seems fair to me. It's a bit like the dentist trying to fine people £20 for appointments cancelled without 24 hours notice (yes mine was doing this), yet being hypocritical enough to cancel two of mine with less than 1 hours notice, with no compensation.

The public need to stand up to cowboy companies and BT is one of the worst offenders. Try opting for paper billing with BT and no direct debit. See whether it's actually possible to pay the bill without incurring a late payment charge. I can tell you now that it isn't. Then try complaining about the time given to pay the bill. Not possible at all. Nuff said. Useless company.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Sounds like things haven't improved since my last dealings with BT, back in the days when I was using dialup. Three visits from "engineers"; the first one said it was my equipment that was faulty, the second said we needed a new BT box, the third, sent to instal the new BT box, correctly identified the problem as lying somewhere between the junction box at the end of the street & the exchange & rectified it ten minutes . . . then they tried to charge me for it!

It took several phone calls & a threat to involve Oftel (as it then was) to get them to accept that it was their problem & not mine.

The problem with BT, I think, is that it used to be a state monopoly & too many BT employees think it still is.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I used to work for them many moons ago. I think their problem is they are stuck halfway between a state monopoly and a private company. They seem to act like the worst of both. they were not a nice compaany to work for, monopolistic, but with no public service ethic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts