Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone knows where I could get my hands on "brush aluminium" centre console including the bit around the gearshift?

Thanks and Cheers.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I looked a few months ago for the same, I have the Tourismo so have bleedin plastic console.
The main dealers were quoting around £250 for the pair.
I saw a set on ebay but they were from a Brera, apparantly the gear surround is slightly different?
Let me know if you find any stock!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
Have you tried a breakers yard?
ps wynne 71 wot is a 159 Glag Glag???

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Have you tried a breakers yard?
ps wynne 71 wot is a 159 Glag Glag???
Cood call but pretty rare to see a Brera being broken.

Also, I assume Wayne means chug chug as in diesel:lol:

I put a really small ding in the alloy gear surround panel. It costs about £120 to replace:eek:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
My boys call all diesel cars "Glag Glags" hence the name!
Will try a few breakers as well. Scary prices mind you, even second hand.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Assuming this is similar to the Brera aluminium console, I think the problem with finding these at breakers is they are so easily ruined.

The previous owners keys made a bit of a mess of mine.

The the other aluminium parts, like the bars on the doors show marks very easily.

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
yes the days of cheap "take it off yourself and gis us a fiver" have gone, that's for sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i think the alloy trim is very poor quality (as in very thin)
we have marks and dings all over the gear leaver section, and the drivers door has quite a few scratches all over it. it marks VERY easly.
im not a fan.

looks cool though.:cool:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i think the alloy trim is very poor quality (as in very thin)
we have marks and dings all over the gear leaver section, and the drivers door has quite a few scratches all over it. it marks VERY easly.
im not a fan.

looks cool though.:cool:
It wouldn't make any difference if it was twice as thick, aluminium is very soft and will always ding easily. I have no marks whatsoever on mine. Just gotta be careful and don't have loads of keys hanging from the key fob.

Also I take a bit of exception to the poor quality comment. How many cars use actual aluminium for dash trim. Not many, most use plastic immitation stuff, which IS poor quality.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Twissler....I've covered 22000 miles in mine, and, like yours is mark free.
I don't ware rings nor do I have a bunch of keys on my keyring. This....I reckon, is the downfall of others.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I don't ware rings nor do I have a bunch of keys on my keyring. This....I reckon, is the downfall of others.
Totally agree. :thumbs: To me it's obvious that being aluminium it needs extra special care. Plus, not sure why anyone would put things on the gear lever surround! :confused:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
If a third party makes it & sells it cheap, wouldn't it be great? How I wish....
To make something like that out of real aluminium is never going to be cheap. IMO it's one of the highlights of the 159/brera. So paying that much for it is acceptable. The thing is some German manufacturers probrably charge similar amounts for crappy plastic aluminium look parts.

G

·
Totally agree. :thumbs: To me it's obvious that being aluminium it needs extra special care. Plus, not sure why anyone would put things on the gear lever surround! :confused:
Yeah, but you lot wouldn't know that unless us original owners
had found it out the hard way. :p

After the 1st couple of dints it's a case of, "meh, **** it."
It's not like it knocked any money off the resale value of mine.

And it wasn't keys, it was a Maglite Solitaire.

Phone sits on the gear lever surround. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
ah, you see, this is where prior information is invalueable.

our brera was a company car, we bought her with almost 80,000 on the clock
and as such it was abused somewhat.
thick alluminium does not easly mark, take engine castings
motorbike fork legs etc, its quite durable.
common sence tells us that if it was "twice" as thick, it would be more resistable to marks etc, it is of very poor quality, it should be up to the task of having keys etc banged against it? my cayenne has artic silver alloy trim throughout the cabin, and you could not mark that with keys at all, the alfa is too thin/soft, period.
wait for older higher milage cars to surface...they will not wear well.
small price though as we love the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i agree sir, but my mute point was, any trim that is in the cabin, in constant use/touch by the driver needs to be able to stand up to "normal" wear and tear, and not require "kid gloves" other manufacture's manage it, lexus/bmw/porsche et al, so why cant alfa with a 28k car?
to say its alluminium (therefore delicate) is mitigation, but no defence.

people do "use"! there cars, people do have them as company cars, people do have kids etc, in 2010 it should be able to stand up to a bit of abuse (others manage it fine)
to defend is admrable, but to compensate is not.

ill get my coat.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
it should be up to the task of having keys etc banged against it?
Hmm.. Probably. Maybe my expectations are lower than yours, but I would expect keys to mark most surfaces if they're dangling as freely as they do on the Alfas! :) Having said that, I generally do treat everything with kid gloves. I've been known to leave that little plastic film on phones and the like for months... :lol:
my cayenne has artic silver alloy trim throughout the cabin, and you could not mark that with keys at all
Fair enough, but I doubt £28k buys you much of a Cayenne!
so why cant alfa with a 28k car?
I think what we're looking at is a decent compromise between style and cost, at the expense of durability. I know that £28k of Scirocco rewards you with plastic as far as the eye can be bothered to look!

I know which I'd rather :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
your right obviously with all of your retorts, but i do think that if anybody is going to make anything (let alone a 28k car) it needs to be "fit for purpose", and soft eaisly marked trim i dont think is.
you will find out the hard way when (god forbid)when you catch it with something metal, as will happen at sometime, if not you then a friend/mechanic et al.
the previous owner obviously did not care for our car, as it was a rep mobile (80k miles)
and must have thrown pens/phones and such like around, strange as to how the door trim is so heavely marked?
prehaps it was "del boy" with his big gold chain on? :lol:
i think i will get some carbon fibre parts made to replace it (i know a guy who does all this )
might look cool ?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The 3 series alloy dash etc. on the few week old M Sport loaner I had when why 156 got totalled was in worse condition than my 2.3 year old Ti. You could coat it but then it would be plastic:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts