Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tyres mounted on my black Speelines seem to be the correct size 205/45R16, however when I park the car I keep badly bruising the rims whenever the wheel touches the side of the pavement. The way the tyres look on the rims is also a bit suspicious - the side of the rim is a few milimeters more to the outside than the tyre. Is it supposed to be that way or is it the make of the tyre to blame (mine are Diamant, which I think is a German brand)?

G

·
Hi Ged

My tyres (dunlop) have a lip on the outside that protects the rim when parking. It makes the tyre wider than the rim. I would suggest you get them checked or replaced.

wrinx

G

·
ditto...

alot of tyres nowadays come with 'rim protectors'. it just has an extra lip on the tyres that sit wider than the rims. Take a look at some Toyo T-1S tyres.. these have them.. and are quite good tyres.

J

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Do you have genuine Speedlines? During my search for a set a couple of years ago a came across some lookalikes (I forget the brand name) which were 7.5x16 i.e. 1/2 an inch wider which could account for it.

Phil

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you identify the genuine Speedlines? I got mine with the car, which came from Germany.
The rims have a sticker on one of the spokes saying "Speedline", then there are also three markings close to the center hole: 7 1/2 J16H2, 8200 and ET36. The offset being 36 mm and the width of the rim of 7.5 raises suspicion that they really might only be lookalikes. But then, as far as I know, my Alfa belongs to a limited edition of several hundred cars tuned in Germany in early-mid 90's (mine is 1994). It's made to look mean - has Alfa stickers all over (a bit embarrassing at times with a 1.7 engine), lowered suspension (Eibach springs, if not lookalikes), black rims, etc. I think there was this wave of making a la DTM looking 155's in Germany during Alfa's success years in the German TCC. I came across several similar looking cars (same stickers)on mobile.de. But maybe if they were tuned only for the kids to show off... Any ideas?

G

·
Aha!!! Its one of the "DTM" cars I was asking about a while ago :D

Any chance of a photo Ged??

My Speedlines, genuine Alfa accessory (bought them new myself!) say.........

Alfa Romeo
7Jx16H2-48 (or 40?)
Speedline
and a funny symbol like......."JIL"

wrinx

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, mine also have the "JIL" symbol. Any chance that the Speedlines on the British isles are somewhat different from the continental Europe ones? What is the offset on yours, because I read in a post some time ago that the offset for the Speedlines is 50 mm or 55 mm (don't remember exactly)
Regarding photo. No problem, but it'll take a day or two (don't have a digital camera myself).

G

·
Those wheel bolts could do with a tidy up.

And if you order the colour wheel centre badges off the latest 156/GTV/Spider model they'll fit straight in.

Otherwise, not bad...

Ralf S.

G

·
Ged, don't worry about the 1.7 engine in your DTM lookalike. I have the Silverstone BTCC lookalike and it has a weedy 1.8 !!!!

Why did Alfa put the smaller engines in their special edition cars ?????

Marlon

G

·
Either way it sounds like your tyres could do with being wider. I have the bog standard 15"x6" Speedlines and I run the 205 width tyres. So, just using the difference you could be running a 235/40/16 tyre at least on those 7.5" rims. This would only give a 0.6% difference in size too.

Incidentally I've found that to go from my size (205/50/15) up to a 16" albeit wider, an almost perfect match is a 225/40/16 tyre.

And that funny symbol apparently represents the shape of the mounting surface of where the tyre sits.

G

·
My rims are 15 x 6.5 Kahn RSR's and I run 205/50/15 tyres. My tyres stick out further than the wheel rim, so does the 1/2 inch make that much difference ???

Here's a rubbish pic

Marlon

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess 235 width might be too much and wouldn't there be a problem with the wheel touching the inside of arches in turning? 225 sounds more logical. BTW, does increased wheel width have any criminal effect on power steering?

G

·
Using phils doofer, here is the tyre sizes I reckon you should use to keep your speedo accurate, taking 205/50/15 as the standard:

Tire size results
Specification /Sidewall /Radius /Diameter Circumference /Revolutions /Difference
205/50-15 / 4.0 in / 11.5 in / 23.1 in / 72.5 in 874 / mile N/A
225/40-16 / 3.5 in / 11.5 in / 23.1 in / 72.5 in 874 / mile 0.1%
255/30-17 / 3.0 in / 11.5 in / 23.0 in / 72.3 in 876 / mile -0.2%
255/25-18 / 2.5 in / 11.5 in / 23.0 in / 72.3 in 876 / mile -0.2%

Marlon

G

·
I'd have thought 215 was about as wide as you could go before experiencing rubbing problems eek!

Ralf- my wheel bolts are painted with enamel black paint (except for the locking nut)and look great.

wrinx

G

·
Sorry to interupt but can i just check something mentioned by Ralf S. above - the coloured centres on the latest 156 etc - will they fit in the centre of my original 15" 12 hole speedlines?? i fancy a bit of that if they do!!

a very excited Raj :rolleyes:

G

·
Wrinx you're probably right, I was just comparing tyres really. Incidently, if you run 215/40/16's, the total circumference is slightly smaller than the 205/50/15 and your speedo will read faster than you are actually going. Phils link is interesting (to me anyway) as it shows what a difference the wrong size of tyre can make to speedo accuracy.
BTW, if you have a smaller circumference, will you use more petrol covering the same distance as your engine has to turn more to make up for the smaller distance covered by one wheel revolution ???

Just a thought....

Marlon

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think the enamelled centres fit all Alfa wheels. You should be able to get them for aroun £4 apiece.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts