Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 widebody V6 just doesn't get warm!
Every day i drive about 12 miles to and from work and the car doesn't get warm, even stuck in traffic.
The fan has run continuously since i had it (4 years)
Never been that bothered till now!
How do you replace the thermostat? where is it? How much is the part?
Can anyone post a piccie!

Thanks for any help in advance

W

·
0 Posts
Thermostat is to the right of the engine, kinda like a little round angle of tube. Dead easy to replace. Undo the pipes at the bottom of the radiator and let the coolant out into a bucket/wash bowl. Undo the pipes on the thermostat and (from memory) the three bolts. Replace thermostat and gasket/use instant gasket. Fill expansion tank with fresh coolant, set heater controls to max hot and start the engine. Then let the car come to temperature as you squeeze the top hoses to help expel air.

However, I think your problem is not just the thermostat, the fan shouldn't be on at all if it's not getting up to temperature, sounds like the relay or more likely the temp sensor switch is nakkered.

Bet you're using a tanker load of fuel as well :rolleyes:

wrinx

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wrinx said:
Thermostat is to the right of the engine, kinda like a little round angle of tube. Dead easy to replace. Undo the pipes at the bottom of the radiator and let the coolant out into a bucket/wash bowl. Undo the pipes on the thermostat and (from memory) the three bolts. Replace thermostat and gasket/use instant gasket. Fill expansion tank with fresh coolant, set heater controls to max hot and start the engine. Then let the car come to temperature as you squeeze the top hoses to help expel air.

However, I think your problem is not just the thermostat, the fan shouldn't be on at all if it's not getting up to temperature, sounds like the relay or more likely the temp sensor switch is nakkered.

Bet you're using a tanker load of fuel as well :rolleyes:

wrinx
Thanks Wrinx, I wondered if the thermostat had been bypassed (is that possible :eek: :eek: ) i don't know. would you say it was worth replacing the thermostat anyway, judging by the state of it it's old!
I'm running on average at about 23-25mpg which isn't too bad i guess.
Stopped being lead footed so much now for fear of reprisals, she's done 153,000 ...
is the temp sensor easy to replace? cheap?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
The thermostat lives on the side of the engine (at the battery end) down by the base of the front cylinder bank. It's bolted to the crankcases with three bolts, as Wrinkly says. It has a rubber hose coming out of the other end .. leading off to the rear bank.

If you take off the rubber hose and unbolt the 'stat, you make a mess on the floor but it's simpler than draining the system via the bottom hose. :D

A new 'stat costs £17 and it'll boost yer mpg up to about 28-30, based on your current figures.

Put a new one back the same as the old one but carefully remove all traces of the old gasket, clean and dry it and then use a new gasket on re-assembly (with a bit of instant gasket/Blue Hylomar for good measure). It's pretty straightforward.

Dunno why the fan is running. It could be as simple as the switch in the radiator is stuck "on". That'll be nasty as it's inaccessible and it may be so stuck that the radiator breaks when you try and unbolt it... :eek:

The fan should only come on at around 90C.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ralf!
This may well be a stoooopid question....but.... how does the thermostat affect the mpg? excuse my ignorance, i'm no mechanic... but i'm trying! :D

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pipadip said:
Thanks Ralf!
This may well be a stoooopid question....but.... how does the thermostat affect the mpg? excuse my ignorance, i'm no mechanic... but i'm trying! :D
Doh! OK it was a stupid question (have read thro forum)
What about temperature sensor? where is it located, how much?
Just thought my external temperature reading is now permanently reading -29°C, now I know it's been cold recently but....?
what sensor picks up external temp?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Cold water in the system makes the engine run rich (whatever the injector version of "choke" is) so you use more gas.

The switch is bolted half way up the radiator on the right hand side as you look at it (n/s or battery side of car) assuming you're peering over the front of the car.

You'll find it, as it has an electrical wire leading to it.

It's about £18.

The sensor for exterior temperature is in the driver's door mirror - it's that knobbly bit under the mirror body. -29 is the lowest temp it can display, I think. Might be worth cleaning all up the connections (particularly in the mirror end)... I think the display shows -29C if it has power but no reading.

Ralf S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts