Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I recently posted as an "emergency" as my window got stuck open & rain was due, I managed to get it back up but haven't had the time to deal with it properly.

Since then there was a big clonk and the window slid down, the toothed piece of metal has completely come off! The window is currently being held up by an ice scraper!

Can this be fixed or will it need a whole new regulator? There's some on eBay new for a bit over £100 but they're not oem parts. Has anyone tried any of these?Other option is one with a broken motor, my motor is working but I have no idea if it's an easy swap. Mine's an autodrop and I don't want to pay £400 for the oem part.

Also, is there a way of changing the regulator without removing the window? Not looking forward to getting the window back in the right position afterwards!

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
if the motor is still working then you may want to remove it just to investigate why its not working however if the motor is not heard moving then its time for a new one

the mechanism is easy to get out asuming you have the hands of a 3 yr old

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if the motor is still working then you may want to remove it just to investigate why its not working however if the motor is not heard moving then its time for a new one

the mechanism is easy to get out asuming you have the hands of a 3 yr old
The motor's still working, it's the metal toothed bit that has detached that's the problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna have a look at this over the weekend to see if the existing mechanism can be repaired. That means I'll have to take it out. Any tips on doing that and, more importantly, getting it back in so the window fits properly?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
You will have to take out the mechanism out, which means removing the door card. Several threads on this with photos, one is on the "How too's" at the top of the forum page. It's quite easy, follow the instructions. The toothed section is spot welded in 3 places to the Spring loaded arm which is driven by the motor. I've just have to replace the complete unit as my motor had died. The worst bit is getting the glass adjusted when you put it back in, fiddly to say the least.Take a few photos of how the glass sits when the window is closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. The door card is already off, it's not going back on until this is sorted. It's the spot welds on the toothed bit that have failed but I have no welding stuff to put that right. I'm thinking about drilling holes and bolting it on but worried this might cause clearance problems once it's back in the door.

I'd be very interested if anyone's tried any of the aftermarket ones, so much cheaper than the proper item which is about £300!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Try a local welder or mobile mechanic or garage, it won't cost that much to have it re-welded. The marks are there to line up where it should sit, so I'd go down that route first. The guy I bought my used one from charged £45. If you can't get it welded come back to me for his number.
If you try drilling and bolting, I would say there shouldn't be any clearance problems but use locking nuts as there is a considerable movement with the window going up and down, so you wouldn't want the nuts to vibrate off. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts