Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all.
just looking for some advice here, ive currently got a 33 and bought that with a broken timing belt and fixed it myself so im no great stranger to the problem however on the 33, being a boxer motor, it runs 2 belts and only one had broke so only one side of the motor had damage to it. i am currently looking at buying a 92 model 164 with what the guy says is a broken timing belt. i went and looked at it today and it is fu*&ing immaculate like near showroom condition inside and out so on that note it is excellent. looking under the bonnet it is very clean however what i couldnt quite work out is looking and feeling the timing belt it still seems to be in one piece as it's holding tension across the top between the two banks of cylinders quite well however there is a big chunk of teeth missing off the belt. i have never seen this before and it is quite puzzling to me regarding how this might happen and weather this would cause more or less damage to the engine internally compared to if the belt just completely broke. also what causes the sort of cam belt failure and is it common to happen on the 164.

the next thing i was wondering is how badly damaged do these motors get when the belt break/slips, i know with the 33 i had a fairly bad case with all 8 valves on one side of the motor were bent however there is quite a chance on them that they can break at the point were all 8 valves on one side are back in the head and no or minimal damage occurs and the instances of major piston damage are fairly uncommon. is there similar traits with this motor e.g. when they go they always go drastically all 12 valves get bent, they wreck the valve quides and smash holes in pistons or are they relatively tame.

obviously there will be damage, im not denying myself that but im just trying to work out how drastic it could be. the old guy selling it is looking for 850 which is possibly a little bit much but ill see what i can do about that. but at the end of the day im asking you guys is it worth my time and money or should i just leave it be. and finally the old guy said that when it went it lost power and slowed down but didnt completely stop he turned it off himself which kinda makes me think it may not be super drastic and its only jumped teeth and maybe only just touched or maybe not touched at all and the jumping has just happened to the point were the cylinders arent sealed to a running point.
anyway its all a bit of guess work and im just wondering what you think
cheers
harry

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
It's a few years since I've bought a 164, but I'm inclined to agree with you - unless the car is an immaculate "Cloverleaf", I doubt it would be worth that sort of money with a trashed timing belt.

My last-but-one 164 12 valve came with a snapped belt. I had another good engine, so I just swapped the whole lump. Taking the heads off for curiosity, I found that the valves in one head were Ok, (at least "looked" OK!) but I think 4 out of the 6 were bent in the other one. Same failure as you describe though - the belt didn't actually break, it just stripped the teeth off where it passes round the crank.

I never tried fixing the other engine, so I can't be much help beyond that. Good quality head gaskets are essential (and expensive), so a top-end rebuild won't be that cheap. I'm also told that you have to be careful with the wet liners (they can leak from the bottom after the heads have been disturbed). Finally, some 12V parts (like the hydraulic timing belt tensioner) are now extremely difficult to source.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts