Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys!

my alfa is literally killing my bank account.

i had a distinctive squeal coming from engine area. I suspected it to be servo pump as many guys had problems with that.

but nooo!

i had leaking gasket, one in between engine valve cap and exhaust manifold. it was leaking because one of the screws is broken. ultimate left one.

car is in garage as they are checking my gearbox at the moment, so they advised it should be fixed. i have two choices by their opinion. one is to get the engine valve cap off and to the certain company which will extract broken screw tip from aluminum head. very very pricy option. second is for them to try to extract it and if not successful just put a lot of special glue and gasket and all the other screws back.

they think it should hold at least a year, and then it can be repeated, or, disassembled and done properly.

i've chosen second option. what do you guys think? will it last?

do you maybe know of third option?

·
Registered
84 Posts
get it done properly stud extraction is an easy job these days maximum £50 to remove and replace if its accessable to the mechanic.

Mark flintshire.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but the guy told me that he might fail in extraction and offered those two options if he does. i really hope he can do it, otherwise i think it is my fault - bad mechanic choice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
What kind of squeal did you hear?
Only when cold, or always?

I ask, since I have some squeal sound, only in cold weather and cold engine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
squeal appeared when i would start to drive. you know, sit in the car, push the button. lower handbrake, put in gear, press gas pedal to start rolling and there it is. the squealing. like a whistle, changing pitch with revs.

then, first gear, second, third and is gone.

you can know for sure that you have problem with a gasket seal if you pop the hood and have someone stand staring at the engine and then you start it. or other way around. preferably in the morning when engine is cold. you should see a small amount of smoke coming from engine area. revving the engine will produce squeal very much similar to when the belts squeal.

hope i helped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have to check.
In my case, it sounds like turbo whistle, the most pronounced when the gas pedal is released (revs decrease - changing gears).
Only in cold weather, cold engine, for a first few minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts