Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I sure I'll get some great advise from all of you, as I sure as hell need it.

My GT JTD which ive serviced and looked after and only ever used geniune parts has become slightly sick.

Quick history of the car,

2005 GT JTD

235 000km (engine overrhauled at 195 000)

full service history at dealers and specilists.

Okay now my dilemer.

I had my cambelt service done mid January this year, this included tensioner, pulley, cambelt, full service went along with that. I was then traveling for 3 weeks so not much use from her. the days I was here I've been on the bike as the weather is still great in Cape Town, so she done plus minus 250km since the service.

This weekend I was driving around 120km per hour and all of a sudden she cuts out wont start. IO have her towed and await the news.

I get a call informing me that my rockers have broke and also damaged the spring on the tensioner meaning I need a new one also. Cost going to be around R12 000. So i straight away start thinking something sounds dodge.

Car had been running perfectly before this service, and not missed an interval. The overhaul included 16 new rockers, a full cambelt set up and water pump all done around January 2013.

My question is how possible is it for rocker to break on their own and also cause damage to the tensioner? does it not make more sense that ill fitted cambelt or bad timing broke the rockers?

Please help me how do I get to the bottom of this?

Regards,

Oupa

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
It's possible the tensioner failed first taking out the rockers, or the water pump.

Did you see the old parts from the 2013 rebuild? Is it possible they cut a few corners and re-used the old parts?

·
Registered
218 Posts
When was the turbo last replaced?
I had a Jeep with an Italian diesel engine and when the turbo went, it took out half of the rockers - inlet side If I remember.

Have all of the rockers gone or just one side?

They are by design one of the weak points to prevent further damage to the engine unlike the petrol versions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I actually had the Turbo replaced about 14 months ago. all but 3 or 4 rockers broke.

Like I said the overhaul was done through the dealer, I can confirm I saw the parts. as well as the engine out and apart.

There has been no issues with her what so ever since the last service, then Jan 2016 full timing belt change and bang broken rockers.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
only to things this can be.

garage workmanship in question..

or faulty new parts, either water pump or tensioner is most likely or the belt itself...did it snap? or is the belt still intact having jumped due to a tensioner or pump failure?

either way this shouldn't happen so soon after the work ,the garage did the work and also supplied the parts I assume? so in my mind the fault is at their doorstep either way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the mechanic is claiming that I need a new tensioner as when the rockers broke it damaged the spring on the tensioner. I said to him that that sounds highly unlikely and I think its the other way around.

He is now sending of the part to get assessed, but how sure am I that he even sends the correct part and not a new one from stock. I too feel its either poor workmanship or failed part mechanic claiming otherwise.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Like others I suspect the tensioner failed and the belt had jumped one or more teeth leading to subsequent damage to the rockers. Categorically proving which part failed will be difficult and, no doubt, if different people did the work they are likely to blame each other.

Summary: you are in a difficult place with this one. I think the only thing you can do is try to get the dealer to make a significant reduction in the bill as a gesture of good will.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
you don't have to prove it..the failure of the cambelt so soon after it was changed does that.

the only thing in question is whether its parts or poor installation.

manufacturer will blame garage, garage will blame parts, neither has an interest in admitting liability, but one of those parties is at fault for sure...I have recently had a similar situation,all parties have so far behaved honorably and it looks like a fair resolution will be found but remember despite what they may want to say to you..

the only person not at fault is you.

sadly all to often though it's the injured party who will bear the financial brunt of these things, at least initially ,if you are lucky ou may get some compensatory gesture from one or both parties involved.

the very low miles you actually covered between cam belt change and failure is a key point in any disagreement further down the line...mileage is far more important than time in this particular set of circumstances.

if it were me, I would say to the garage.

YOU did the job

YOU supplied the parts

don't pass the buck, man up and take responsibility for it...or go online and honestly report what has happened on every automotive forum you can find and see if you can pressure a resolution...however if you do this

be fair

and be honest.

if I heard of a cambelt failure 250 miles after fitting I would stay the hell away from that place, so you are in fact in a stronger position than you think and just by telling the complete and honest truth.

we are all entitled to make mistakes ,what defines anyone as either ''good people to deal with'' or ''steer clear of at all costs'' is how they deal with things when they go wrong.

I hope your garage are good guys, see sense and sort it out. you should not be having to pay out for a top end rebuild 250km after a cambelt service.

I know for a fact that if I found myself in a similar position the guys I go too would put their hands up and make it right.

good luck!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It's illogical confusion of cause and effect that the rockers would break and take out the tensioner. What fault could have caused them to spontaneously break, if not hitting pistons due to a cambelt failure?

It has to be the other way around: tensioner failed (either defective or poor installation), belt jumped, rockers broken. Garage's liability, either way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I seem to remember a couple of years back there was a bit of a spate of tensioner failures with the tab on the back failing, so thats a possibility. I'm sure Ned at Auto Lusso mentioned it in one of his posts. I sympathise with you as I'm just finishing off a repair after a seized waterpump caused a load of grief, 21/2years & 25000 miles after it was allegedly replaced along with the cambelt.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Having just done the cambelt/waterpump/idler on my 1.9 16v, it's actually a delightfully straightforward procedure. Given the timing tools and a bit of brain it is impossible to screw it up. My guess, either the tech didn't locate the tensioner slot on the pin correctly, or forgot to torque up the adjustment nut after setting the tension, or forgot to set the tension or set it incorrectly. There's only an outside chance that the tensioner failed. A careful inspection of the tensioner might show what happened.

I suppose it is just about conceiveable that a rocker broke because it had been cracked in the previous incident but not replaced. But I can't see how that would damage the tensioner or belt - the valve would just close and stay closed. That'd be the garage's liability too, anyway, for failing to replace all the damaged rockers first time around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts