Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've really done it this time :(
I was changing my crappy NGK plugs back over to the better Golden Lodge Jobbies (now that the car is running properly and I know it wasn't the plugs).....well.......

.........one of the NGK plugs decided to come apart while still screwed into the head :eek: .

Basically the middle bit came out leaving the threaded bit in the head. I managed to "save" the day by covering the centre bit with super glue and pushing it back into the part in the head. The car starts and ticks over fine, but I don't think the glue will hold the plug together for long once it gets really hot and under pressure.

How can I remove the stuck bit of the plug ??? Will I need to take the head off and risk breaking valves (I have previous for that :eek: :( ) when I put it together again ????

Will the glue hold ????

Any tips at all for getting the bit out the head ??????

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH !!!!!!!

I can't believe it. I'm gonna trade the thing in for a Ford :mad:

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
they're like taps, but the "thread" is the wrong way round! so the more you "unscrew" it, the deeper it goes into the spark plug (in this case) and it'll come out, hopefully..

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi m8 if it is just the tread left in they i had the same problem in a 16v all i did was to wedge in a flat screw driver and unscrew it.

Ted ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had the same problem Marlon a few weeks ago. new ngk small spark rung and it wasnt even tight nor wrong threaded in the block. got a set of these reverse thread jobs in the motor factors for 10 euro. a cheap brand called SPUR. see their stuff in diy tool shops and DIY stores. Irony was the old spark was still perfect afer 72K miles anyway so back in it went to be there forever. you will need a small socket set to use the extractor as the plugs are down narrow holes.

Jim

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys I'm gonna check out these "easy out" and other doo dahs :)
My car is officially dead just now. Got half a mile of gentle driving before it blew the plug apart. Fixed it and managed to get nearly home before it blew apart again. My car is now at the bottom of the drive.

Thankfully I have 3 days Tax left on Shugs old 33 !!!!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Yup will have to be an easy out :rolleyes:

One thing to do before you try to take it out is run the engine up to temperature then try and remove it....................the heat helps swell everything that little bit and can make the removel of the thread a bit easier ;) ;)

Other than that will be a head off job ................unless you wanna try drilling it and re tapping it :eek: which is possible but very dodgy as the swarf can get into the bore`s even using a hoover aimed at the drill bit to suck all the swarf up

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
marlon said:
I can't believe it. I'm gonna trade the thing in for a Ford :mad:

It' s the spark-plug that broke, not the car...! You probably didn't have the socket on vertical to the plug. I done that before (that was a NGK too funnily enough).

If the base (the bit with the "nut" part on it) is still in there, can't you use a regular socket on it?

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
How do the easy-outs prevent swarf (ceramic chips) from falling onto the piston?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
think about it. if you where drilling it the swarf comes upwards. the reverse thread on the easy out will be pushing what little swarf there is upwards, it's got threads not drilling edge's, so little swarf will be produced.
As you turn it anticlockwise it'll screw down until it tightens then the force will be on the plug to unscrew.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Understood, but ceramic is brittle, and I can't see this taking a screw thread without chipping/cracking...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ralf, the ceramic bit didn't break, it detached itself from the threaded bit. The "nut" is attached to the ceramic bit which has now left me with a nice hole for Twinspark on number 4 !!! :(

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my new ngk broke below the nut and a lodge plug in my old alfa sprint years ago the collar broke and the ceramic insert flew out, 5000 rpm going nowhere fast

Jim

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SHE LIVES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

£3.74 for a set of 6 "Easy Outs" and a knackered socket which I hammered onto the end of the assigned bit (It'll have to stay on there now ;) )

Was screwing away and then heard a snap as the plug thread started to turn. It must have welded itself to the head or something :confused:

Anyway, all seems fine so far :) but I won't get to blow the pants of the 33 again tommorrow :( .

Thanks for the "easy out" info Banflu (and others). Virtual pints are on me :)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well done that man :D a cheap and sucessful operation and no need to go in deep :eek: ;)

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Easy Wrinx... ;)
Nice one Marlon. First time i'd heard about Easy Outs so thanks to all for teachin me summit too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts