Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried taking my horsehoe alloys off to replace them with my new TI alloys. It was -2 but i thought i'd give it a go. On the first locking wheel nut i ended up breaking the locking wheel attachment and taking off most of the skin of my knuckle.

Question:

1) What am i going to do now!, need to go to a garge to get them to remove the locking wheel nuts?, If so how much will that set me back?
2) How much are a new set of locking wheel nuts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Think I paid about £20 for my locking wheel nuts (which are sat in the glove compartment :lol:) I had a similar issue (no locking nut tool) so had to have them done. A mobile tyre bloke done mine FOC when he replaced a tyre and also gave me the normal nuts to replace em ;)

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
:thumbs:Yer if you have the code just order another key off Alfa, an I would leave the 18s on for the winter so you dont damage your new 19s

N

·
0 Posts
Sounds like he's busted the nut not the key. :(

(If not then you get 2 keys with the set normally.)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the link!

I only have one locking nut for some reason! I found the code, does it only have 3 digits? how much would a raplcement be?

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts
Yes a 3 digit code, I also only got one key but I bought the AR lock bolt kit after from my dealer as an accessory.

Try a search for prices for a replacement key, I know I've seen a price for a replacement on here before or ring your dealer :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Yes a 3 digit code, I also only got one key but I bought the AR lock bolt kit after from my dealer as an accessory.
Errr mine was a dealer bought accessory for the Brera and came with 2
key of different hex drive sizes.

Took 'em off the Brera and they're now on the 159. ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was surorised it was only a 3 digit code, these things normally have ridiculous amount of digits.

As the old nut sheared in the bolt i'll have to try and prise the remanents out tommorow. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

·
Registered
404 Posts
An even bigger aarrgggg happens when you realise there’s no paper in the box and you end up having to have all the nuts cut off with considerable damage to the allows. Why on earth they don't just use a sticky label rather than a loose slip of paper is beyond comprehension.

·
Registered
822 Posts
i was surorised it was only a 3 digit code, these things normally have ridiculous amount of digits.

As the old nut sheared in the bolt i'll have to try and prise the remanents out tommorow. Has anyone done this? Is it possible?

Try super glue on the end of a screwdriver or similler to help pull out the bits that are stuck in the bolts, alternatively you could turn the car on its side :lol:
Ok maybe dont try the second idea:lol:

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts
An even bigger aarrgggg happens when you realise there’s no paper in the box and you end up having to have all the nuts cut off with considerable damage to the allows. Why on earth they don't just use a sticky label rather than a loose slip of paper is beyond comprehension.
Probably so you can take it out of the box & file it away safe ( such as with your service receipts/insurance/etc ) or so you can photocopy it ;)
Not much point it being safely attached to the box if that & the key get misplaced together :lol:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will try the super glue idea!

I think it sheared becuase it was -5 yesrterday and the locking nut had been sat in my boot!

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts
Errr mine was a dealer bought accessory for the Brera and came with 2
key of different hex drive sizes.

Took 'em off the Brera and they're now on the 159. ;)

Deva Vu ;)

Perhaps the Brera/Spider/159 at some point came with 2 different size hex heads :confused: I know that was the case with the 156 at some stage.

Anyway these are mine ( 17mm hex on key ) Note the warning regarding the key number :thumbs:

DSC_3196.jpg DSC_3197.jpg

DSC_3198.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
alfa999, google "dynomec ltd" Give the chap a ring, he will remove your locknuts i can essure you!! He removed mine which were McGard ultra in less time than it took me to get the replacement nuts out of the car boot (and no damage to alloys)..... I drove to west yorkshire as he was my last resort, PM me if you want to know how much he charged me etc etc

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks will giove him a ring

Rang the steralership and they quoted me £25 + Vat for a replacement plus 7-10 day waiting time!

Do people thing this is reasonable?

·
Registered
822 Posts

Rang the steralership and they quoted me £25 + Vat for a replacement plus 7-10 day waiting time!

The price is but the delivery time is a bit poo.
If there is another dealer near by try them. I got a set from Dews the other weel which were in stock
:thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Deva Vu ;)

Perhaps the Brera/Spider/159 at some point came with 2 different size hex heads :confused:
Mines in a red plastic box with 2 Hex drives, the 4 bolts
and their chrome caps and a black plastic cap 'n' stalk to
pull the chrome caps off.

;)

·
Administrator
88,183 Posts

I presume you are talking about the replacement key, if so I suppose you don't have much of a choice.

The price is but the delivery time is a bit poo.
If there is another dealer near by try them. I got a set from Dews the other weel which were in stock
:thumbs:
See my above reply. I doubt the dealer ship would have spare keys in stock ( unless they happen to have a set of lock bolts with the same code )

Mines in a red plastic box with 2 Hex drives, the 4 bolts
and their chrome caps and a black plastic cap 'n' stalk to
pull the chrome caps off.

;)
Perhaps someone should start a lock stud comparison thread :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts