Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's with a heavy heart that I bring the news that there is likely one less V6 Spider on the road.
A speeding Mercedes killed my 2001 Black Lusso yesterday and I'm pretty sure they will write it off.
My question is what happens now?
My thoughts are await the engineers report and if suitable enquire about buying it back.
Unfortunately I didn't have an agreed value policy. Any idea of value? She had 55,000 on the clock, serviced fully, immaculate wheels, brand new tyres all round 2 weeks ago no rust or dings anywhere.
I'm hugely grateful to her for keeping myself and my girlfriend alive but I am utterly bereft at the loss of my baby.. . had her since 2008 and only done 23,000 in that time. Probably spent more time polishing her than driving her
Thanks
Gordon

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
That's gutting :(. Hope no one was hurt! Is it repairable?
No real idea on value, but the v6's seem to hold up better - £5k and more for a decent example? Seen them advertised higher than that too for very good examples.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Probably better to PM me your email as I may be able to help as I've just gone through a similar exercise on a car that I have.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
I would estimate £7 - £7.5k due to condition. When you took out your insurance you would have been asked what you value it at?

If you fight for premium values use Clive and such like to endorse your valuations. Finally, at the end of the day you and your passenger were thankfully uninjured and your car although rare, can be replaced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
You may have to fight for a decent value, but as people have said above there's so few of them around now you should be able to prove they're a decent value to the insurers. Even if you can find examples of previous sales it'll help - also, Clive has 2 for sale on Alfa Gtvs Spiders - CG Trading, Brighton, West Sussex - perhaps worth giving him a call to obtain the prices he's selling at? Both his look in good condition but have more mileage than yours, which always adds on a couple of quid.

Best of luck with it all.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Post some pics, I am after a crashed V6 for my retirement project to bring back to life the V6 Spider I bought new in 2001 and put in garage as a spares car in 2008 with a cracked head, so may be interested in buying it off you if its loads of damage :thumbup:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your comments. I am massively thankful that my gf and I were relatively unhurt, it could have been much worse.
I'm dreading this process so I'll keep you posted with what goes forward.
Cheers
Gordon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really gutted for you, it looks like a really nice car pre accident. The main thing is that you weren't hurt.
If it's being written off or sold I'd be interested in buying it. I'm not far from you so easy for collecting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As previously feared my car is a total loss. I have asked for a copy of the engineers report but nothing has been forthcoming as of yet.
The assessor I spoke to did say the chassis was twisted so that's that then.
Following advice I received via this forum I sent a package email with various pieces of information and after a few phone calls and supplemental emails the value of my car went from an initial £2600 to £7250 so it is definitely worth arguing your case.
After a suitable period of mourning I'll have a look through the garage and see what spares I have.
Thanks Folks,
Spider G

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sorry to hear the sad news. As they say best to get back on the horse as quick as you can.

So hopefully you can use the payout to buy another and heal the pain

·
Registered
897 Posts
Glad your ok .

That's a tidy old increase , nearly 3 times the initial offer ! Should get you a very nice spider.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Clive at CG Trading (link above) have 3 V6 spiders in stock. His cars normally come with all the popular modifications and have little else to do to them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To be honest I don't think I could have another Spider as I'd forever be comparing it to my car. I've had a drop top toy car for over 20 years but I'm mostly in Aberdeen now so maybe a folding hard top is a better idea.
Either way I think I'll clear out the garage and relax before making any decisions.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Whether or not you'll be able to buy it back is normally dependant on blame. If you claim on your insurance it becomes their property and you're rarely allowed to buy it back. But if the other driver is at fault and don't claim on your insurance, then you should be able to. Definitely worth doing as that does look to be repairable, albeit it will most likely be Cat C recorded.

Edit...

Ah right just seen your post saying the chassis is twisted. Probably won't be able to buy it back then... Worth a try though as it's worth breaking for spares.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Just read this thread. Gutted for you Gordon - she looked a beauty. Do you think you'll stay with Alfas or go for a different marque?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts