Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I took the gta in for an MOT the other day. The good news is it sailed through, the bad news is that when they tried to put it in gear (or so they tell me) and drive it out of the garage the gearstick was just floppy so wouldn't go into gear. The garage then refused to work on it saying it looked like too much of a job and i should take it to the dealers :(

Unfortunately there isn't a dealer within 40 miles so i had no choice to have a look myself. And what a pain! I could still get gears by moving the selector directly on the gearbox so was fairly sure the gearbox was ok. So then it meant exhaust off and all the protective heat shield underneath to get at the suspected broken cable. After a few hrs of messing around and the usual scenario with the alfa of needing the hands of a 6 year old girl the cable was finally out. There are 2 cables, 1 for forward/backward motion of the stick and 1 for side to side. Only one was broken but after speaking with the dealers i find out they have to be bought as a pair, £120. And none in the country so they have to be shipped from italy!! Royal pain in the a**! So still waiting on them now.

I've taken a few snaps as i've gone along and i'll stick them on here if anyone is interested.:)

The only thing that bothers me is that this cable is pretty hefty. I would say fatter than the handbrake cable. But the selector on the gearbox you can move with your little finger. It snapped at the week point where the wire was crimped but to me these cables look like they should never have to be changed, i'm guessing it may have been crimped to hard at the manufacturers. Has anyone else known these to go? :confused:

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
yeah mines just gone, will report back

·
Banned
3,532 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Yep, snapped just after the metal rod, where it's clamped - part will be with me next week. Zorst off jobbie :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
Had the same problem a few months ago so changed mine for some second hand ones also made my own short shift kit for it just extended the length of the shifter below the ball joint worked gear change is really solid and feels great.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Nice what did you add to the bottom?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well when I get round to it I will write a how to all you need is a piece of steel bar and a spare gear knob mech to cut down to make a spacer. If I make it to the next wm meet you can't test it out Tom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts