Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Oh dear, I'm really having a bad car week! Today I've managed to sheer the kerbside halfshaft. I was dreading for a while that I had blown the diff or gearbox, so I guess in that respect I should count myself lucky. Pulled the wheel off and found that it had given up about where it goes into the hub. Didn't think I drove the car that hard...maybe just the culmination of 7 years metal fatigue. It has been making a faint rumbling sound on that corner of the car for a while...never been able to put my finger on it but assumed it was a wheel bearing, until now.

So, what do I need to replace? Looks like I need to attack it with a 36mm socket at one end and undo 4 hex bolts at the other? Is this the same stuff that is in the 2.5 V6, or is it specific to the GTA(s)? Is a second hand replacement going to be ok, or are these a common breakage that should be replaced with new parts?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: Had a hunt around and it seems broken driveshafts aren't new on the GTAs. Trailbraker gives good instructions on replacement in one thread. Quick question though...Do the outside CV joints come complete with the spline that goes into the hub? If so, that is what I need. Hopefully I can get a replacement without too much hassle here in NZ. I assume that CV is going to be different to those found in the 2.5?

M

·
0 Posts
Can't help on this one i'm affraid, but interesting to see that you live in the same place as my big sis!! She lives in New Plymouth, anywhere near you??

M

·
0 Posts
I doubt it.....I think they run a Subaru! I've never been over, but my sis lives in Parrs road.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not too far away...Mangorei Road. I finished off my CV trying to keep a Subaru WRX at bay, funny enough. When you do come over, I'll have to show you some fantastic local roads :cool:

C

·
0 Posts
Ouch!

From what I can remember the drive shaft is the same asa a 2.5 APART from the outer ball joint and the splined shaft that goes into the hub. The GTA uses a bigger diameter version.

Could be wrong though, its been 2 years since I last had reason to check PN's.

Hope its failed in the right place....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch!

From what I can remember the drive shaft is the same asa a 2.5 APART from the outer ball joint and the splined shaft that goes into the hub. The GTA uses a bigger diameter version.

Could be wrong though, its been 2 years since I last had reason to check PN's.

Hope its failed in the right place....
Something like that by the sounds of it. The bloke that is finding me a new CV is of the impression that the splined shaft is the same but the CV/ball joint is bigger. Maybe they should have beefed up that shaft too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally put it all back together today, but I need to know what the torque setting should be for the big 36mm nut...any helpers? Thanks :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts