Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The door handle broke off in my hand in my 2014 guiletta, I've only had it six months. I'm appalled that it's made of plastic and not metal. But after reading some of these comments it has been going on for years with no recall or update from Alfa Romeo.

Can anyone give me information on fixing it? I read several comments but couldn't find one where the plastic handle had actually snapped off. Where do I buy a replacement handle or do I need the full interior door panel? I'm in Australia.

·
Administrator
87,464 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you seen the 2 threads linked in the 1st post here where Alfa have covered the repair cost for some owners Giulietta - Owners Tech info - Fault Guides and more!
Thanks David. I'm in Qld. Australia the local Gold Coast Alfa dealer closed down. I got a quote this afternoon from a dealership selling Alfa Parts I was quoted $1659 for a door trim plus Freight and fitting costs!! What a joke.
I've seen the handle alone is available on eBay I don't know if it will work, the dealers say it won't but also there's a delay in shipping, I need it now.

·
Registered
35,406 Posts
Are there any Giuliettas being scrapped in Queensland?
Do you have a picture of the lever showing where it broke?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I wouldn’t be paying stupid money like that for a door panel when there are places that sell a handle. I would be ordering the handle and knocking something up temporarily to operate the cable or just opening outside handle through window while I waited part to arrive.

·
Registered
35,406 Posts
I wouldn’t be paying stupid money like that for a door panel when there are places that sell a handle. I would be ordering the handle and knocking something up temporarily to operate the cable or just opening outside handle through window while I waited part to arrive.
That’s what I was thinking for a scrap part but all you need is a means to pull the cable really until the part arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I bought one from China through AliExpress for under £30 just to see what it was like. It includes reinforcement at the point where that can fail. If they send to the UK I’m sure they will to Australia. There are descriptions on YouTube on how to replace the release lever. As cue2 will tell you they can sometimes fail because it is used to close the door instead of using the grab handle in the door trim.
C6E2F0AD-EF3C-4AA4-B8B0-0DE6F55ACB12.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought one from Alfa workshop in the UK there are good instructions on there website on how to change also a few helpful videos on youtube

·
Registered
35,406 Posts
I bought one from China through AliExpress for under £30 just to see what it was like. It includes reinforcement at the point where that can fail. If they send to the UK I’m sure they will to Australia. There are descriptions on YouTube on how to replace the release lever. As cue2 will tell you they can sometimes fail because it is used to close the door instead of using the grab handle in the door trim. View attachment 940013
They are describing the finisher that goes on the door pull. That’s a door handle cover inner trim!

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
In the OP’s initial post he mentions the interior door panel and plastic ‘handle’ and not being able to get just the plastic handle. Are we at cross purposes? The link I attached is for the handle, not the trim behind it even though they describe it as ‘interior door handle trim’, probably got lost in translation. The arrow is pointing at the lever. The levers are shown, left and right -hand, at the top.

Like this:-

065D76E4-D433-4072-B2CB-A35C7A99B4A8.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I got on to a wreckers 2.5 hours drive north, they will only sell the door panel (without electric window controls) for $325. I'm confused, can I just buy the chrome handle with black piece attached as shown or do I have to get the entire door panel?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve never needed it but I’ve read this is a good guide to the job
Hi, thanks for your help and sending the link. It looks too involved. I think it'll be easier to get the full panel. Don't know about UK but the Alfa mechanic hourly rate is $135, and that's considered cheap compared to some others.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've ordered the door card and will get it put on tomorrow. 🙂

·
Registered
21 Posts
The door handle broke off in my hand in my 2014 guiletta, I've only had it six months. I'm appalled that it's made of plastic and not metal. But after reading some of these comments it has been going on for years with no recall or update from Alfa Romeo.

Can anyone give me information on fixing it? I read several comments but couldn't find one where the plastic handle had actually snapped off. Where do I buy a replacement handle or do I need the full interior door panel?

Can anyone give me information on fixing it? I read several comments but couldn't find one where the plastic handle had actually snapped off. Where do I buy a replacement handle or do I need the full interior door panel? I'm in Australia.
Hi. Yeah common problem with these handles breaking. Bit weak in construction.
As an original part from Alfa you can only buy the complete interior panel at big $$$$.
Get on Ali express and you will find replacement handles on there at a good price.
To replace it you remove the inner trim and you need to drill out the original plastic type spot welds holding the handle to the panel. You also need to carefully break a few away that hold the leather trim to the top section so you can flex the panel enough to remove the broken handle and fit the new one.

Once it's on position you need to melt the protruding pins down to match the original ones to hold the handle in place. Refit the panel and your all done

Hope that helps 👍

1 - 20 of 22 Posts