Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

When inspecting a blow in my exhaust I noticed there is an alloy support bracket under the engine that cracked. Four bolts come from the alloy engine/gearbox casting and one appears to be broket off and the braket is cracked in to. I have attached a picture. Does anyone know if this bracket is critical????

:cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
That bracket (and its equivalent on 156's) is responsible for many cracked sumps.

Remove the bracket and its mounting studs and check the sump VERY carefully for cracks.

Don't bother to replace the bracket or its studs.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm a bit perplexed by that bracket also, my 146 failed its mot due to that bracket being cracked, apparently they classed it as a exhaust mount. I did point out that it doesnt touch the exhaust but they wouldnt have it

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Many thanks! will do.

What is its purpose?
No idea!

Seams to be to protect the exhaust from grounding, but takes the impact itself and transfers it to the sump and end of gearbox, usually smashing the alloy sump... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I'm a bit perplexed by that bracket also, my 146 failed its mot due to that bracket being cracked, apparently they classed it as a exhaust mount. I did point out that it doesnt touch the exhaust but they wouldnt have it
You should have just removed it and had it retested.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
thank god for that - noticed that this bracket was missing on my car, was going to ask where i can find one, but this answer is even better!

Now I just need to sort out my flexi pipe...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I better remove it before my NCT (the irish MOT) so, i'd doubt theyll no it missing unless Im very unlucky!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts