Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about a little accident i'd havd in the icy/snow about how it had damged the bumper wheel arch etc. Anyways long story short i short it hadn't done any damge underneith but turns out it has, the air intake pipe (i believe it is this anyway) has been broken just behind the wheel arch and the impact has also broken some of the plastic mounting points that screw into the body work, i think the main air filter is still intact i've not had any warning lights and the car appears to be driving fine so i think it's juts the pipework, is it gonna cause any major issues if i leave this a while before getting it sorted as it's just cost me £300 getting the bodywork damage repaired, also any ideas on rough cost to get it repaird would be greatly appreciated too.

·
0 Posts
Have a look yourself & see what may be broken - mebee worth considering the GTA mod? :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe don't really want to do any mods at the moment though due to insurance, with only being 23 even though i've got 5 years no claims now it's still cost me just over £600 to insure my 156 this year so with any mods to it it'll most likely go throught the roof plus a lot of companies won't insure me with mods cause i'm under 25

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no just the curved pipe is snapped off and the little box is cracked slightly, the pipwork from the little box to the big one and the main box is still intact, but the flimsy plastic mounts where the boxes screw into the body have been broken.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also i don't suppose anyone would have sort of guide on changing the unit boxes pipes etc, as i'd ideally like to swap it over myself and avoid criminal labour charges, is it easy to do or is it gonna mean removing the bumper etc to creat more space

·
0 Posts
Easy enough job, can't advise specifically as I have only dealt with the V6 one, do you have access to axle stand or ramp? (or perhaps nearside up on a kerb could give you enough access on a V quiet road of course :eek: :lol: ) - no need for bumper removal in my case :)

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good good, i like the sound of that, i don't have any ramps but not sure if my dad might have, if not sure i can wangle something my brother got a few spare wheels lying about could always prop it up on a couple of them i suppose if need be

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
just been thinking might take the oppurunity to upgrade to an induction kit/sports air filter kit, any reccomendations on a decent one for a not too high a price? also will it be worth the increase in insurance prices, and the extra cost or will i be just as well getting a second hand original unit for around £30-£40 what sort of power gain would i be looking at from an induction kit?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was looking at something similar but general concencous is that an oiled filter would damage the MAF, also K&N's induction kit actually takes air from behind the radiator and close to the exhaust manifold rather than a cool clean air source.
Power gains, negligible without other modifications, (exhaust, cylinder head mod)
Insurance?? Would bother declaring it TBH, its not a performance enhancing mod to a standard engine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Its important to make sure the intake system is sealed correctly. Any dust and debris getting will affect both your MAF and the engine eventually so final costs will override what you might pay right now. If the damage occurs after the air filter fix it ASAP. If the feed is damamged you will be drawing air from the engine bay which is not ideal but tollerable until funds permit a change. I run a panel filter from PiperX - had the same one for 4 years and as long as you are careful with cleaning and re-oiling they are safe to use. There is no performance improvement except it might help with throttle response and removing flat spots.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no it's only damage before the air filter, the only damge to anything after that is to the plastic bits where it screws onto the car, the actually unit and all the pipes are still in one piece, and still seems pretty secure, i'm looking at sourcing a replacement unit as soona s i can looking for a 2nd hand one though as the price of a new one is through the roof, have seen part of the setup new on ebay going for £198, which i am not prepared to pay, have seen 2nd hand entire thing pipes box etc going for £30 just waiting for some people who're breaking some 156's to get back to me with prices

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at something similar but general concencous is that an oiled filter would damage the MAF, also K&N's induction kit actually takes air from behind the radiator and close to the exhaust manifold rather than a cool clean air source.
Power gains, negligible without other modifications, (exhaust, cylinder head mod)
Insurance?? Would bother declaring it TBH, its not a performance enhancing mod to a standard engine.
i know but the problem is if there is ever a need for an insurance claim and they inspect the car and discover it hasn't been declared, could end up with having a big excess increase or worst case scernario could cancel the policy and void any claims, my brother had a similar problem with his astra, had the windoes tinted and didn't declare it then had an accident insurance company bumped his excess up to £1000, they were gonna cancel the policy but he claimed they were like that when bought it and just didn't realize was a mod

·
Registered
224 Posts
Im suprised they even noticed.
I had an old 1998 Mini Cooper Sportspack with the 13" wheels, arches and MPI engine and when that got vandalised and I they wrote it off they thought it was a 1992 Mini Cooper because of the personalised number plate, so they couldn't even tell what age or type the car was let alone any modifications!!!

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lol, sounds about right, i think they were so thorough with his cause they're both fighting it our over who's fault the accident was been going on for 6 months now and still no end in sight

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
leave the resonance box out, just a V6 or JTD itake pipe is sufficient, cost ? 12 quid

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh i didn't know that i've sourced and paid for a 2nd hand replacement unit now, £25 for the lot, because all the little plastic mounting brackets are broken too so the whole thing is wobbling around at the moment

1 - 19 of 19 Posts