Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'tis probably the final straw... really fed up with problems now.

I left on my way to the other half's house last night, which is around 15 miles away on the motorway. I started the car up last night to be greeted with a "low battery charge" message. I thought, "well, fair enough, it's raining and the charge will be dragged down... it'll charge on the motorway"

SO, i've been on the motorway for around 10 minutes, when I get the - as expected - "VDC Failure" and "ABS Failure" which i've experienced is common with a low battery charge.

Around a a minute later, the whole dash WENT DEAD, all the lights went out, and i'm driving along the motorway with no power at all. Luckily, I made it to the hard shoulder just as the engine cut out.

Phoned the AA (Thank god for the 1 year free recovery) to which they came out after around an hour of waiting. Straight away he diagnosed it as a faulty alternator, as the battery appeared to have no charge going to it with the engine running. So off it went to be dropped off at the alfa dealer. I'm looking forward to speaking to them on monday.

Really seems to be neverending problems with the car. I love everything about it, apart from the problems. I can only go for so long with the unreliability...

Anyone else having problems like this?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Bad Luck eventually, should become good ! I'll make a little wish for you to get some now. Sorry to hear your misfortunes though Rab.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but I'm suprised you drove the car with the battery light on. It is a shame though that modern cars didn't have a volt and amp metre at that would have indicated the battery wasn't charging. Having said that, the battery warning light did also indicate that...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your problems, but I'm suprised you drove the car with the battery light on. It is a shame though that modern cars didn't have a volt and amp metre at that would have indicated the battery wasn't charging. Having said that, the battery warning light did also indicate that...

Well i genuinelly thought, "low battery charge because of the rain, so it'll charge when i drive". Would be better if there was some sort of indication that the alternator was at fault.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I called the dealer this morning and they told me that it will be at least Thursday before they can even LOOK at the car, nevermind fix it! Apparently it's been a bad weekend for alfa romeo!.. with a lot of cars being dropped off at the dealer over the weekend with faults. And the fact that there's only one alfa dealer in glasgow now is a bit of a nightmare!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi if it makes you feel any better I've had about a million problems and they still keep happening. Shocking. You ending up having to live with some of them as Alfa is either to far away (the dealership) or they don't fix it properly.

Ended up swapping AMC in Chelmsford Essex for a Fiat dealership who actually seem to be able to fix most problems.

Had a leaking windscreen 2 times, ABS/VDC failure, Motor Control System Failure, 4 heated seat switches, brakes locking on causing cause to literally stop. Shall I go on?

Replacement headlining, 2 air flow meters, several dash rattles, alarm being set of by faulty boot fitting, boot rattle, turbo hose, drivers door check strap replaced, indicator stalk fault, plastic seat belt hinge cover fell off.

Thats about half of what I can remember!!

Have to admit it seems to drive nice and smoothly now, but when you buy a new car you don't expect this poor workmanship.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the exactly exactly same problem. I'm living where there are no Alfa Romeo dealers. Can anyone please tell me how you solve it and wht the problem was?

Thank you!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Nice thread ressurection :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts