Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Which do i choose...

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know which broadband to get. My year is up in a few weeks and am going to change.I would have sky broadband as i am thinking about getting SkyHD so will get my phone and broadband with them.A lot of people i know also have sky broadband and dont have a bad word to say about it. But AOL have a couple of good offers on at the moment, Free laptop or free PS3 if you sign up to them for 2 years. Dont know much at all about AOL so dont know if they are any good or not.

Who should i choose?

·
Registered
42,278 Posts
Bin with AOl since bout' 95, if it keeps working now they are CPW then I'll stay a while longer. If not, well we will see??:):

·
Premium Member
45,006 Posts
I've been with AOL at home for years, broadband through the phone lines. Its not anywhere near as quick or good value for money as NTL (VirginMedia) cable broadband which I've always had in my student houses.

Whenever theres been a problem AOL have been good.

H

·
0 Posts
We had our dial-up with AOL and never had any problems, then we tried to upgrade to AOL silver broadband, and had nothing but aggro. It wouldn't work for no apparent reason, their call centre system was a shambles, and often we were on the phone to india for half an hour or more while they tried to get hold of the next in line technician to look into our problem (who did nothing that the previous technician hadn't done).
To cut a long story short, we had no broadband for 3 months, and they also cut off our dial-up at one point, but still insisted that we pay our £14.99 a month despite having NO internet access whatsoever.

WE then had arguments on the phone with them because we wanted to cancel our contract for said non existant internet connection

'you're tied in for a year' they said.

'You're not supplying the service you promised, or any service at all, come to mention it' was our response, and a threat to contact trading standards was enough to get the 'contract' terminated.

We went with sky broadband (since we were having sky TV installed at around that time, along with the broadband) and everything has been perfect since.
So a big :thumbs: for Sky!

·
Registered
37,509 Posts
My Sky guy said "HD is overrated and a significant number of people would not get any benefit" (colour perception off, eyesight not up to it etc). I use carphone *****house and they are fine for free calls and cheap broadband.

R

·
0 Posts
Just swapped from BT to Sky .... great move i now have a good speed reliable connection with Sky TV and Free calls evening and weekend for the same price BT charged me for an unreliable slow broadband connection, and the best bit i dont need to call an Indian call centre to be given the run around like BT customers do :)

E

·
0 Posts
With Ghosty on that if you want reliable service, you can't be Zen and their customer services are excellent. Moving my ADSL when I moved and regrading to 8mbit was totally painless.

My parents took up sky though and are happy, my dad had some email issues but they were dealt with OK. Router comes all preconfigured so you just plug it in and when the ADSL is active, hey presto it all works.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I'm with BT :)

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
Been with AOL since I was on dial up... only problem we've had was when our BT line went noisy. Threatening to terminate the contract with them got them to fix it (laid new line to the master socket). Call centres are worse than useless "please may I call you by your first name" in an almost unintelligible accent :mad: but...... if you patiently.... very patiently jump the early hoops that they ask you to jump..... you do get connected to someone who does know what they are doing.

But all in all I'm happy with them

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
Just swapped from BT to Sky .... great move i now have a good speed reliable connection with Sky TV and Free calls evening and weekend for the same price BT charged me for an unreliable slow broadband connection, and the best bit i dont need to call an Indian call centre to be given the run around like BT customers do :)
Can anyone explain this to me? I don't understand how moving to Sky, or anyone other than maybe a cable operator can improve the speed. I thought that all those other service providers did so by using the BT lines and basic telephony infrastructure. Thus, we have a terribly slow download speed because of the alleged distance to the exchange. Swapping ISP won't improve it, surely?:confused:

V

·
0 Posts
Depends whether you want a load of expensive sport channels, but Virgin do a good: TV package, Broadband, Landline, Mobile SIM (300mins + 300txts), V+ HD recorder (like Sky+) for £10 each item, or £50 all in per month, which is what I have. Eurosport is included for me cycling :thumbs: .

No call charges, by using mobile anytime and landline at the weekend. Loads of TV channels, true 1080 HD output from the V+ box with BBC and ITV free-to-view full time HD channels on the way (already a free BBC 'sampler' HD channel). Oh, and the V+ box upscales SD TV and makes a very good job of it, putting it about halfway between SD and HD, I'd say.

£50 all in, for all my communication and televisual entertainment needs. I'd say that's pretty good.

·
Registered
33,640 Posts
I recently moved to Sky, mainly because there 'medium' broadband package is only an extra £5 on my monthly bill. I've had no problems with them so far.

The free laptop offer from The Carphone Warehouse requires you to sign up to a 24 month contract with AOL at £19.99/month.

R

·
0 Posts
Can anyone explain this to me? I don't understand how moving to Sky, or anyone other than maybe a cable operator can improve the speed. I thought that all those other service providers did so by using the BT lines and basic telephony infrastructure. Thus, we have a terribly slow download speed because of the alleged distance to the exchange. Swapping ISP won't improve it, surely?:confused:
Your right that in theory using the same line as BT should mean the same speed connection, in practice their was a noticable difference in speed and reliability of connection, i have never had my Sky connection go down but constantly lost the BT conection, maybe someone who is technically minded could explain this ?

Ray

V

·
0 Posts
In a local telephone exchange there are areas/rooms set aside for line providers other than BT. They contain 'bundles' of circuits separate from BT's. In some cases maintenance is carried out by that provider's engineer but in many cases it is carried out by a BT guy under their contract. Depending on penalty clauses/service level agreement within the contract between BT and that provider, the service provided to consumers will vary.

I think that's pretty well correct, I have a mate who works for BT and he was telling me about it a few weeks ago!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts