Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last week or so my broadband connection has been very strange. :confused:

Last Friday week the download sync speed suddenly shot up to almost 3000kbps and the upload to alomst 2000kbps. Over the course of the week, it has steadily declined right back to almost where it started 1031kbps download although upload has remained much higher than before at 507kbps.

Now according to samknows.com, my exchange has recently been WBC enabled, so I wondered if that was causing it?

Also, my connection seems very slow for the line stats that I get reported from the router.

My stats are: Line Attenuation 48.5db (DS) and 28.8db (US), Noise Margin 26.4db (DS) and 18.4db (US). Not great, but according to the speed estimator here: The ADSL and ADSL2+ Line Capability Estimator I should be able to sync at around 6000kbps.

Any experts out there care to comment?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
No real help for you but last month my exchange was updated to WBC and no effect at all as far as I can tell.

Speed varies, on a 10Mb contract, from about 1700 to 1950 down and usually about 350 up.

No way around the old copper string problem I'm afraid.

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
(hi Nige long time no see mate)

Is your broadband connection a new one or have you been with your ISP a while :confused:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
I only ask because the speed usually fluctuates a hell of a lot in the first week or two until they find the optimum speed for your line.

·
16,322 Posts
Hiya Vince,

Yeah, been away to somewhere very exotic :cool: and not been around here for some time. Had a quick few looks but today was the first time I've posted in about a month. Oddly when I first came back on the site stats said I'd been on whilst I was away, very odd as I never touched a computer whilst sunning myself and driving a Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Anyhow, hope things are alright with you, I'd better desist with hijack !:D

Cheers.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hey Nig, welcome back.

daKlone, spoke to my networks geek here and he says it basically all down to how good your line to the house is and the speed change is more than likely down to how many people (and what they are using it for) in the area

·
16,322 Posts

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
:thumbs: Cheers Rafe.

Are congratulations required for you yet with a new arrival ?
Nah not yet, she was due yesterday but no signs yet, typical woman, late for everything :lol:

·
16,322 Posts
Nah not yet, she was due yesterday but no signs yet, typical woman, late for everything :lol:
:lol: Yep, pretty typical ! Still good things come to those who wait.

Me, I'm still waiting ! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts