Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its that time of the year again,time for the boiler service.Now my boiler is nearly 50 years old and as good as gold,three thermocouples and a burner in all that time,BG cannot find spares for it,but others can.
So after checking,probing and measuring,I am told I should replace it with a Combi that will save me £7 grand over 15 years,my neighbours each side have had three new boilers one side and two the other,in under 10 years so that is unlikely to work.
I was rash enough to ask BG for a quote to replace my old boiler,english,with a modern German electronic all bells and whistles model,£8500 as I could not have it where the present one stands,not up to code.So even in the unlikely event of the new item lasting 15 years,I shall still be out of pocket.
Stuff 'em ,bertha stays:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Same here. Mine is nearly as old as I am and no one can get spares, but it never needs anything. It has to have been cheaper to have kept it all this time? Same with my GTV really - 22mpg but half an exhaust and one cambelt in the last five years, coupled with minimal depreciation means that I must quids in compared to Mrs R's ultra efficient new cars. I've more or less made my mind up just to keep it for as long as it keeps going.

K

·
0 Posts
Ring around your local gas fitters and they will undercut British Gas massively. Most people I know who have had BG do work have had no end of trouble with them too.

V

·
0 Posts
Agreed, I had a good local guy install a medium-sized Vaillant Combi for me, as well as replacing 6 radiators and the total cost was £3700.

The house heats up super-quick now and hot water is instant, any amount, any time.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Its that time of the year again,time for the boiler service.Now my boiler is nearly 50 years old and as good as gold,three thermocouples and a burner in all that time,BG cannot find spares for it,but others can.
So after checking,probing and measuring,I am told I should replace it with a Combi that will save me £7 grand over 15 years,my neighbours each side have had three new boilers one side and two the other,in under 10 years so that is unlikely to work.
I was rash enough to ask BG for a quote to replace my old boiler,english,with a modern German electronic all bells and whistles model,£8500 as I could not have it where the present one stands,not up to code.So even in the unlikely event of the new item lasting 15 years,I shall still be out of pocket.
Stuff 'em ,bertha stays:thumbs:
Lame rant.

Boiler is old.

Boiler works.

User asks provider of gas, services and hardware for opinion.

Provider suggests new boiler.

Users throws toys out of pram.

What did you expect them to do? Write a letter of appreciation on how well you'd looked after your 50 year old antique boiler?

M

·
0 Posts
My system is 1960's but the boiler looks to be about 1980's. Nothing wrong with it and nothing much to go wrong - not a single prob in 20 years I've been here. When it fails big time, it'll have to be boiler, rads, pipework, thermostats, zone valves, pump, cylinder, the lot.

Probably going to regret saying that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
It's BG - what did you expect?. Worcester Bosch 35CDi fitted five years ago with two new rads, and thermo valves on six other rads. £2500 through local Gas safe installer (Corgi then) Shop around if you need to change and you will get a better price. If you can wait till Summer, you might get a better price as installers are in less demand

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm a bg engineer, we get parts direct from Manufactures. If we can't get a part that you might need in the future, we can't fix it! So we advise you to replace it whilst it's working to avoid this!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lame rant.

Boiler is old.

Boiler works.

User asks provider of gas, services and hardware for opinion.

Provider suggests new boiler.

Users throws toys out of pram.

What did you expect them to do? Write a letter of appreciation on how well you'd looked after your 50 year old antique boiler?
User did not ask for an opinion,only a service. I dont give a tinkers t*** if the emissions are more than modern boilers,what climbs up my nose is the fact that they are trying to sell me a new boiler on the pretext that it will pay for itself over 15 years,yet I have still to meet anyone who's modern boiler has lasted any where near that time,a quick survey among friends and neighbours suggest seven years is good going.
I can draw adequate hot water as fast as I like without fiddling with the flow from the tap,my boiler is almost silent,a customer of mine has just replaced their combi boiler ,now when you draw water it produces a very good impression of a Doodlebug in flight.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Excellent rant, m0bzy. I asked my plumber if we should replace rather than repair my old boiler (we had to travel to find the last gas valve of its type in existence) and he said don't, the latest ones are rubbish.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Excellent rant, m0bzy. I asked my plumber if we should replace rather than repair my old boiler (we had to travel to find the last gas valve of its type in existence) and he said don't, the latest ones are rubbish.
That is more or less the advice I have been given,even from one Bg fitter.:thumbs:

·
Registered
37,754 Posts
My mum has one of those old Baxi bermuda boilers, with an open gas fireplace.

Everytime you go around there the house is nice an warm.

In our house we have a combi boiler. It takes ages to get the house warm and if the electric goes off you have absolutely no heating. In my mums place you can still use the open gas fire during a power cut.

There isn't a huge difference in gas bills even though my mums house is bigger.

I know what I would sooner have, so if you have something that works and you are happy don't be rushed or pressured into changing it.

Newer isn't always better, even if you are told it will be.

V

·
0 Posts
All the points about years recouping losses after fitting a modern boiler and the lack of longevity of modern boilers compared with older standalone cast-iron types are true.

I had a new Combi boiler fitted last year because I'm going to fit an upstairs onto my bungalow and needed to get rid of all the tanks and pipework in the loft. The old 25 yr-old boiler was working just fine when I got rid of it. All I would say is though, if you get a Combi boiler, get the right one for the job (with enough capacity), get it fitted by a good plumber and get a good make like Vaillant or Worcester-Bosch.

I have to say, my new Vaillant heats the place up superbly quickly and provides lashings of limitless hot water instantly, and at a good pressure (better than gravity fed). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I get 10 good years out of it! :lol:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All the points about years recouping losses after fitting a modern boiler and the lack of longevity of modern boilers compared with older standalone cast-iron types are true.

I had a new Combi boiler fitted last year because I'm going to fit an upstairs onto my bungalow and needed to get rid of all the tanks and pipework in the loft. The old 25 yr-old boiler was working just fine when I got rid of it. All I would say is though, if you get a Combi boiler, get the right one for the job (with enough capacity), get it fitted by a good plumber and get a good make like Vaillant or Worcester-Bosch.

I have to say, my new Vaillant heats the place up superbly quickly and provides lashings of limitless hot water instantly, and at a good pressure (better than gravity fed). I'm just keeping my fingers crossed I get 10 good years out of it! :lol:
I wish you luck,but the numbers are against you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Agreed. And Alfa owners should know better than generalise about reliability - you know how it feels! :tut::cheese:
LOL,yes you could have a point,but this problem of lack of longevity affects not just one make,or lack of servicing,the only common denominator is "combi".:mad:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts