Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You've seen the adverts with that daft 3D type animation and that annoying music (you should try listening to it for forty minutes while trying to get through to them, it really grates then). You think that is a good idea in case the boiler breaks down. Plumbers are so expensive etc. You pays them money for around five years, never call them out. Then in the coldest winter on record, well in my records anyway, when your boiler konks out and you need them what do they say? Sorry but we cannot get to you for five days. Five days!. 'It's the bad weather' they say extra demand etc. Well what about forward planning eh? What about the 5,000 odd engineers on the road 24/7 the adverts go on about? A load of tosh that's what it is. They takes your money but are not capable of delivering the service.
So I fixed it my self. A few minutes search on the net isolated the cause to be a frozen condensation drain. I defrosted it with a bit of hot water and a blower heater and bingo porblem sorted. I have a good mind to send British Gas a bill for my labour just before I cancel my policy. :rant:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
I have to say they've been pretty good with us, the pilot assembly started playing up on our boiler about a month ago but they wrongly diagnosed it as somehting else and have been round the house about 6 times in the past month replacing bits and pieces.

There was always someone there within 2 days to resolve the issues when I rung up.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I have to say they've been pretty good with us, the pilot assembly started playing up on our boiler about a month ago but they wrongly diagnosed it as somehting else and have been round the house about 6 times in the past month replacing bits and pieces.

There was always someone there within 2 days to resolve the issues when I rung up.

+1 we had the whole circuit board on our boiler replaced by them ... also take into account that the price you pay also includes a yearly service :thumbs:

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
+1 we had the whole circuit board on our boiler replaced by them ... also take into account that the price you pay also includes a yearly service :thumbs:
yeah they replaced that as well on ours chasing the fault around.

They replaced

2 thermostatic controllers
Gas Valve
Controller Board
Some other stuff
Then finally fixed it with the pilot assembly (I reckon if they had done that first we wouldn;t have had a flakey boiler for nearly a year)

Pilot lights been going out occasionally since we moved in and had Homecare out about 13 times this year alone, finally got it sorted though in time for the big freeze :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
I'm on the phone waiting right now to get through to a 'real person' .... just clocking up 49 minutes... and counting :cry:

M

·
0 Posts
been with them for a while now...touch wood we have had only good experiences...

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
are we going to take any bets here.... ie. do i get through before the phone battery dies :lol:

58 minutes now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
been pretty goo for me too, cant get good experiences 100% of the time i suppose. ds take the mick mind:(

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
just done a search for the error code on internet.... and it could be as wihfulthinker had.... frozen condenstion drain pipe.

so if i can thaw this out .... any ideas if that will simply cure the problem?

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
just found the error code on internet ... F4 ..... 'Flame goes out whilst lit during demand'

now what? .... 1 hr 22 minutes :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
just found the error code on internet ... F4 ..... 'Flame goes out whilst lit during demand'

best log on to "boilerowner.com" then :lol:

·
Premium Member
42,812 Posts
Just got through inunder 2 hrs .... engineer coming out on wednesday :D

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Iv found them very good, I called them 1530 yesterday and they came out 1300 today, excellent service in my opinion.

R

·
0 Posts
If ever I had seen a rant backfire into an advert for Homecare this is it, im signing up tomorrow on the back of all these glowing reports :lol:

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts

According to the 'bumph' left with our boiler, like an F1 code F4 can also be down to a blocked condensate drain. Worth a go with a few kettles of boiling water - you never know your luck!
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/rant-room/202172-what-a-great-time-for-a-boiler-to-pack-up.html#post3137194
Hope you get back to warmth soon - I feel for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
im a bg engineer. Our work load has gone through the roof, T&C's state subject to availability.

All work is prioritised into vulnerable customers, OAP, medically at risk, young children & uncontrollable water leak.

Problems are mainly down to condensates freezing. Best thing to do is hacksaw them off couple off inches from the wall then thaw them out. Refix in warmer weather.

Marc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts