Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm after a bit of advice

I'm thinking of driving down to Brighton on sunday 17th May as it's the London-Brighton Mini Run as I used to have a Mini and also it's the Mini's 50th

So I'm after a bit of advice about easiest way to get down there from Essex bearing in mind there are shed loads of Minis on the A23 (I remember pushing my Mini through the centre of Brighton one year as she overheated!) and also after some parking advice as to where I can sensibly leave my spider for a few hours safely and without being ripped off with parking costs ... I don't mind walking a bit so does that make the marina viable ?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
When you get towards Brighton on the A23, get into the right hand lane of the two slip lanes for the A27 and join the A27 Eastbound (signposted Lewes).
Go up the hill, cross over the A27 to join the Eastbound traffic on the A27.
Travel for just under a mile and then take the first exit (signposted Hollingbury / Stanmer) slip road).
At the top of the slip road there's a roundabout. Take the first left (going right will take you across the A27 again and into middle earth...).
Go up the hill and get into the filter lane to turn right, which is right on the crest of the hill. Take care as you turn right on to Ditchling Road (it's not the safest).
Continue all the way along Ditchling Road (it gets nice and twisty). As you descend into Brighton (the sea should be visible now :) ), you will get in to the built up area (a nice black 156 is always parked on the left hand side near a traffic island).
You'll get to a set of traffic lights, go straight on, then there's a 2nd set of T-lights - straight on again, past the BP garage on the left, go down the hill and you'll reach another set of traffic lights - this is where Ditchling Road joins the A23 again and all the incoming traffic will be emerging from the right.

Doing this route will save you about 3 miles of tailbacks from the A23 roundabout. As for parking, once you've got to that last set of traffic lights, start hunting for a place to park, you're less than a mile away from Madeira Drive. Note that the job of parking a car in Brighton should only be attempted by lottery winners. I'm not one, so I walk everywhere and only use my beautiful Gtv when leaving town.

I still have a soft spot for minis (My first car was a 1275GT) so I might see you down there!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not sure if I'm going now ... supposed to be rubbish weather this weekend ... and having been there loads of times before for the run Brighton seafront on a cold wet and windy day isn't pleasant

Starkers ... well I did think about parking in the Marina if I went ... I found on some Fishing site that it has Free Parking as long as you don't park in the Asda bit ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Me + my Dad have minis. We are doing the run. My mini is not roadworthy at the moment so we are going in my Dads 1964 Mk1 Mini. We will be in the special mini 50 years display represnting 1964. So if you see us give us a wave or come and say hello.
We are leaving home at 4.30am to get to the start at Crystal Palace, London. :lol:

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
not sure if I'm going now ... supposed to be rubbish weather this weekend ... and having been there loads of times before for the run Brighton seafront on a cold wet and windy day isn't pleasant

Starkers ... well I did think about parking in the Marina if I went ... I found on some Fishing site that it has Free Parking as long as you don't park in the Asda bit ?
Yes, you can park in the multi storey opposite Asda, it's the car park for the cinema and it's dead ahead of you as you drive towards the marina (before the road bends round to the left).

I know what you're saying about a rainy Madeira Drive, however if the weather is the same tomorrow as it was today, then it'll be great.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Have a good day whoever's going...my Nephew is taking part in his Mini 30 and my sis and bro-in-law in her Bini :)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well didn't go in the end ... woke up late and it was way too wet and blowy for my liking to ventrue down there

if anyone went please post piccies

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Dad's mini made it from London to Brighton.
We were lucky we were the 6th mini to leave Crystal Palace.
Got down to Brighton much earlier than we normally do.
It was a great day out and I got a few body panels to help get my mini back on the road.

I have never posted photos before, but I will have a go when I get a chance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
the sun came out in the afternoon...was a huge turnout around 2500 minis...It would be great if there could be an Alfa day out on Madeira Drive...time trials...old models...spares...the smell of the people the roar of the oil etc.....:cool:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well is anyone has any piccies I'm after finding out if my old baby was down there ... pm me if you have any pics and I'll tell you what reg Mini I'm after

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Sorry didn't take any pictures but highlights for me were seeing a Mini with a KAD 16v engine, seeing one with a Lotus engine (Cortina, I think) squeezed in the front, even the Mini with a Vauxhall engine was quite impressive (sorry to swear, I know it's a family forum) and also one with a motorbike engine in it. Also saw two Suzuki Swifts with Mini bodyshells welded on to them (!) an ERA Mini or two and 33 EJB was down there as well.

All in all, masses of cars, some great paint jobs, lots of customisation and lots of noisy exhausts!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a bit of a purist (of some type) with a Mini and it should contain an A or A+ series lump so all the conversions with other engines aren;t my cup of tea ... you can get a Mini quick enough with a heavily modded A+ ... mine did sub 6s 0-60 and I had it up over 100mph on a race circuit !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts