Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had these lights fitted, my main lights not the day ones, one has gone and I spoke with Halfords and he suggested: Halfords own brand 477 - H7 says up to 120% brighter. There are other headlight threads, I know but they were very technical and looked like most could fit their own. No chance of that for me, so wonder if these will do or should I look elsewhere. They will charge £7 to fit each one for me too.

Should I buy from elsewhere and then ask them to fit? And yes my headlights seem the dimmest I've ever seen which I believe has been a common complaint about the Mito.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Halfords sometimes do good deals of bulbs. so might be some better brands about.
If not look online and you can find some very good deals too.

As for fitting.
before you say nope, have a look under the bonnet. lots of room and almost impossible to make a mistake.
if you do it yourself you'll end up thinking "why was i ever worried".

Also they seem dim because more than likely the headlights are pointing to far down and just need a adjustment.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The "X% brighter" bulbs can sacrifice lifetime for the sake of the brightness. Depends on the brand and how much the X% is though - some are better than others. I tend to go for the Philips Vision Plus bulbs - only "70%" brighter, but have reviewed well and I find they do the job. I've no idea about the halfords ones - but there could be a risk of them not lasting as long (see if you can find some reviews online for the particular model).

As bbadger says it may be the beam alignment that's making it seem particularly bad. In fact brighter bulbs can make it feel harder to see if the beam cut off has ended up near the car because it illuminates the near patch even brighter :). My previous car had HIDs and a stupidly near cut-off which was horrible. On my todo list with my Mito is to raise the beam aim up a little as the beam cut off on that is far too near the car on the road I reckon (I think they were either set conservatively from the factory, or have needed readjustment and the adjustment has been on the conservative side - I'm going to use tape on a wall and measuring to try make sure I don't adjust too high though).

I actually found the bulb change ok on my Mito, but still requires doing it a bit by feel from what I recall. Access isn't that bad (especially compared to some cars) but you need to remember what angle the plug should be at to slot it back in in the right position ready to turn it (if you have it turned through 180 degrees I think it feels like it'll go, but won't quite). Need to be careful not to scratch the bulb on the way back in against the edges of the hole as a scratch on a bulb could easily weaken it. And always with headlamp bulbs don't touch them with your fingers as you don't want to grease on them.

If you've got a bulb that's blown it could be worth just trying taking the blown one out and putting it back in again a few times yourself to see how it goes - if the bulb's knackered already then accidentally touching it or scratching it won't be an issue as you'll be binning it anyway - then if you get confident doing that with the blown one you can fit a new one yourself.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a shop around re other lights and reviews. While I have watched the Mito bulb change on a YT video, my acrylic nails just simply won't allow it, that and the fact I'm bound to break something else:ponder:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ive used the Halfords range previously...not that great, infact, it was the same as normal H7 bulbs, wasnt any brighter or whiter...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts