Alfa Romeo Forum banner

14801 - 14820 of 14821 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Ever the opportunist, Gove now sees Coronavirus as 'leverage' in Brexit talks. Copied from Guardian article:

Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, has been giving evidence to the Commons Brexit committee. Here are some of the main points so far.

Gove claimed that the coronavirus crisis could increase the chances of the UK and the EU striking a trade deal this year because it should “concentrate the minds of EU negotiators”. Responding to a question from Hilary Benn, the committee chairman, about whether the coronavirus crisis altered the chances of the UK and the EU negotiating a trade deal by the end of this year, Gove said:

"I think the Covid-19 crisis, in some respects, should concentrate the minds of EU negotiators, reinforcing the vital importance of coming to a conclusion."

He also said that reaching a deal by the end of the year was “entirely possible”. He described the statement put out by Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, at the end of last week’s round of negotiations as “relatively downbeat” (an understatement - you can read it here) and he said he thought the odds on a deal being struck were 2 to 1.

He refused to say whether the UK still planned to walk away from the talks if it had not made good progress towards a deal in June. Asked about this, he said he did not want to pre-empt the government’s response.

He signalled that David Frost, the PM’s chief Europe adviser, would be willing to give evidence to the committee.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Ever the opportunist, Gove now sees Coronavirus as 'leverage' in Brexit talks. Copied from Guardian article:
but but but...we hold all the cards. It'll be the easiest trade deal in history. We'll have the exact same benefits as membership. Etc etc etc. The EU really have more important things to do than speak to Gove and his pals at the moment, this government needs to deal with the pandemic instead of commiting themselves to a random date after which they think they have to leave the transition.

Extending the transition is the sane thing to do so I doubt very much Johnson and his idiot cabal will consider it. Despite the measure having huge support in the population, even among Tory voters and Brexit supporters!

If anyone is interested there is a petition to extend the transition, please sign it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Just signed, and a nice gesture, but unlikely to cause the gov to do anything, after all they dont want to upset the DM and DX readership, do they?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
So, we now have the highest number of CV19 deaths in Europe. Just goes to show old Jonny foreigner how successful we can be without the help of the interfering EU!

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
This has confused me I have to say, I know Starmer is pro-EU so why is he not pushing for an extension to the transition? I have a theory that he is making sure the public remember Coronavirus and Brexit as two seperate disasters and thus not letting government hide one behind the other.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
But surely without an extension, the Gov will be able to hide any failure behind CV19.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
OK! yes indeed.

·
Registered
14,808 Posts
We won’t be getting any of this stimulus money. In fact it’s probably partly our alimony
I am a free, I am not man, a number.

They make take away our stimulus money, but they will never take away our FREEDOM (or really dark blue passports).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if that is based on the number of CV19 deaths, we would have been top of the list.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
Interesting how the news was initially covered but if there are taxes on imported cars it may make sense to build them here.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
70% of their build is exported to the EU, would they miss the UK market?

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
As sadly the Covid victims appear to be in older age groups perhaps the Brexit continent is lower on gammons?
Another vote, anybody?

14801 - 14820 of 14821 Posts