Alfa Romeo Forum banner

14761 - 14780 of 14821 Posts

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
They aren’t the only company involved in this work.
From today's Sunday Times:

"Some of the biggest industrial companies will begin production of ventilators this week as the coronavirus pandemic deepens. A consortium including Ford, Smiths, Rolls-Royce, Airbus, GKN, Thales, BAE Systems, McLaren, Meggitt and Renishaw has received an order for 10,000 ventilators from the government, and says it could produce more."

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
This crisis (and the fact he wasn't in power at the time), and the poor response from the EU will play right into the hands of Salvini.

·
Registered
125 Posts
BBC won’t show it but EU flags are being taken down and replaced with Russian flags.

They feel the EU has abandoned them and Russia have offered more help. Doctors, ventilators etc.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
From today's Sunday Times:

"Some of the biggest industrial companies will begin production of ventilators this week as the coronavirus pandemic deepens. A consortium including Ford, Smiths, Rolls-Royce, Airbus, GKN, Thales, BAE Systems, McLaren, Meggitt and Renishaw has received an order for 10,000 ventilators from the government, and says it could produce more."
Let’s hope they’re in this for the love of humanity. Not to cash in on a crisis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Let’s hope they’re in this for the love of humanity. Not to cash in on a crisis

I don't think anyone has £££ signs in front of their faces at the minute. And I'm pretty sure this is a humanitarian exercise. Why are you so negative about their input?

·
Premium Member
77,377 Posts
I don't think anyone has £££ signs in front of their faces at the minute. And I'm pretty sure this is a humanitarian exercise. Why are you so negative about their input?
I'm sure there are some people out there who seek to profit from this - it is inevitable. Disaster capitalism exists.

We know US politicians ditched stock after private briefings on the risks behind covid. That will be the tip of an unsavoury, but almost everyday, iceberg.

I don't think these companies are profit chasing - they fit a profile of companies that try to be useful in testing circumstances, and also provide some investment & employment.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Greed,like scum will rise to the top.
I fear that after this crisis things will return to default.......selfishness.
Btw....good afternoon all :)
I’m just hoping things return period. I worry how life maybe post Covid19. Can I actually greet someone with a handshake?

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I said in an earlier post of my fears that having 'escaped' Brussels (whatever that means) we are going down the slippery slop to be controlled by Beijing.....

From the article:

"Whoever writes the code, writes the rules for the world, more than any regulation passed by bureaucrats. There's no point in taking back control from Brussels, only to hand it over to Beijing."

You dont need to have any concerns about Brussels!

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
I'm not sure why people are or were giving the EU heat for the Coronavirus pandemic, health has always been the province of national government in the EU. The EU can and is helping financially, if it wasn't for petty nationalism even at this time of crisis they could do a lot more. We need international solidarity not nationalism now more than ever!

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
This is the kind of petty nationalism I was referring to. Make no mistake the government did not 'miss the email' as they claimed, it was pure English exceptionalism and nationalism. After-all who knew building life saving ventilators wasn't that easy?!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This is the kind of petty nationalism I was referring to. Make no mistake the government did not 'miss the email' as they claimed, it was pure English exceptionalism and nationalism. After-all who knew building life saving ventilators wasn't that easy?!

It always was a lie. There's no way that those procurement projects relied on emails to opt-in or discuss details. As you say, it was straight-up exceptionalism, but the government doesn't have to balls to even admit to it, and at least own their position. Instead having to come up with a pathetic bogus ruse about a 'missed email'. It's not even a good excuse or story, its crap. They also never had a hope in hell in producing the ventilators they wanted from the likes of Dyson etc either. I work in manufacturing, and I know that the timescales involved were impossible. The only option that could have worked was the incredibly simple, probably less effective, but at least was deliverable offer put by Gtech, of the ventilator powered only by the oxygen supply itself, and made out of common off-the-shelf parts. But I suspect Dyson as a paid-up member of the nasty party soon made sure that design was rejected in favour of his much more expensive, complicated, and ultimately undeliverable in the timeframe design. This virus has been politicised from the start, and I cannot understand why more people aren't getting angry at the blatant and constant lies from the pointless daily briefings, whose sole purpose seems to be perpetuating fear-inducing death tolls, the next lie as to where the PPE is, and scare tactics as to where the economy 'might' be if lockdown continues for 3 months. Who the hell has come up with that previously unheard-of prediction? Then there's Boris's dad saying his son nearly "took one for the team". Did he throw himself in front of the virus to protect the country? No, he was complacent, to his own advice given to the country, and advice of medical experts. This man is no hero. I perfectly accept that anybody would likely be overwhelmed in a situation like this, but Boris and his crack team of incompetent idiots are so far out of their depth as to be terrifying.

Rant over.

For now.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
It always was a lie. There's no way that those procurement projects relied on emails to opt-in or discuss details. As you say, it was straight-up exceptionalism, but the government doesn't have to balls to even admit to it, and at least own their position. Instead having to come up with a pathetic bogus ruse about a 'missed email'. It's not even a good excuse or story, its crap. They also never had a hope in hell in producing the ventilators they wanted from the likes of Dyson etc either. I work in manufacturing, and I know that the timescales involved were impossible. The only option that could have worked was the incredibly simple, probably less effective, but at least was deliverable offer put by Gtech, of the ventilator powered only by the oxygen supply itself, and made out of common off-the-shelf parts. But I suspect Dyson as a paid-up member of the nasty party soon made sure that design was rejected in favour of his much more expensive, complicated, and ultimately undeliverable in the timeframe design. This virus has been politicised from the start, and I cannot understand why more people aren't getting angry at the blatant and constant lies from the pointless daily briefings, whose sole purpose seems to be perpetuating fear-inducing death tolls, the next lie as to where the PPE is, and scare tactics as to where the economy 'might' be if lockdown continues for 3 months. Who the hell has come up with that previously unheard-of prediction? Then there's Boris's dad saying his son nearly "took one for the team". Did he throw himself in front of the virus to protect the country? No, he was complacent, to his own advice given to the country, and advice of medical experts. This man is no hero. I perfectly accept that anybody would likely be overwhelmed in a situation like this, but Boris and his crack team of incompetent idiots are so far out of their depth as to be terrifying.

Rant over.

For now.
I am beyond furious, furious is a dot in my rear view mirror right now.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Aaaaaand there it is: SARS-COV-2 and Brexit now inextricably linked. Apparently we need a regulatory break from the EU to manage our economic recovery from the pandemic. In other words, fck everybody else, we aren't helping our EU cousins, Britain is about British.
Screenshot_20200416-153532_Guardian.jpg

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Also, I'm pretty sure we've got a pretty good indicator that we already do have control of our borders already. To the point that we're having to bus in Eastern European workers to pick the strawberries we wish to eat over summer, as only 500 of the required 70,000 pickers requested are currently from home soil.

14761 - 14780 of 14821 Posts