Alfa Romeo Forum banner

14321 - 14340 of 14353 Posts

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
My new hero:
https://www.indy100.com/article/farmer-boris-johnson-brexit-little-britain-bishop-auckland-election-9201031
A farmer surprised BBC News by tearing Boris Johnson and Brexit to shreds on live TV.

During a segment in Bishop Auckland, County Durham, a BBC reporter asked if farmers have been “tempted by the Leave side” for the upcoming general election.

The answer from one resident was an immediate and unmistakable no.

The man, who described farmers voting for Brexit as like “turkeys voting for Christmas”, said:

I’m yet to see anyone put a solid argument up for leaving Europe, we’re far better working together as a common community than we are split up.

On the night of the referendum, we went to bed as Great Britain and we woke up as Little Britain, and that’s a tragedy. All the things they’ve put forward – none of them are as good as staying in Europe…

And he didn’t stop there, adding:

You’ve got to trade with your local neighbours. Donald Trump is wishing to take over the health service. Boris Johnson will go to negotiate with Donald as a little boy…

Boris Johnson has stuffed the DUP. He went over there, gave empty promises and the day after he sold them.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
So the BBC air's a remainer, It's a little unusual but I can't help thinking it's a shame that they show someone who still refers to the fact that we are leaving Europe. We have had 3 years to think about this now and in the back of his mind, somewhere, he obviously still thinks this. So it may be a bit of a shock to some, but we are not leaving Europe, just the Union. His argument was very well put and he made some good points, but to me his whole argument was blunted by the fact that he hadn't got his head around one simple but very important fact.
It's a shame, because apart from this it was quite refreshing to see. The man did well.
Mick.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Was his name Jack? He seems to be "Alright"... :D

Maybe instead of trying to be a Federated United States of Europe, the EU can just try to concern itself with free trade and zero tariffs. Then more people would support it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts

Maybe instead of trying to be a Federated United States of Europe, the EU can just try to concern itself with free trade and zero tariffs. Then more people would support it.

Ralf S.
I assume you are talking about Universal Free Trade? Tariffs predate the E.U. by many centuries and it would be interesting to know how you would resolve the issue, which has dogged the World for time immemorial? The Manchester Ship Canal was dug as a solution to the City having to pay prohibitive fees to Liverpool. The Opium Wars - Tariffs, The root cause of our problems to date with Iran, stems from the fact that the British placed an embargo on the sale of many goods essential to the development of Iran as a "Modern Nation". They were even prohibited from developing a Railway Network, based on British Engineering which resulted in a Nation with a Transport system which remains in the Middle - Ages.

No one likes Tariffs. But, in modern terms, they protect Native Industries and Jobs. Of course the ERG Vultures would like them to be zero, not because of the threat they would pose to Native Industries, but because their investments are in foreign holdings which would seek to flood our markets, whilst they reap the profits, paid into their "Off - Shore Accounts".

One of those "Thick Northern Types" hitherto complained to me about all the paperwork his employer has to provide, before goods can be dispatched, far and wide. T - Bags, and Yorkshire one's at that. However, the penny finally dropped when I pointed out, that this was the only time when these products would be inspected, no matter where it was dispatched to within a market of ~ 600 million. Hitherto, it was a nightmare for companies exporting, having their exports scrutinized at every border point across Europe.

Of course, in the space of five minutes, he reverted to his entrenched view on all things Foreign and the need to "Take Back Control". This wasn't a thick Northern Type, just a bigoted Yorkshire man - no need to malign every Northerner, when this one was specifically from Harrogate.

People will support lower tariffs. But it was the British Government that imposed 20% VAT on sales - Not the E.U. The E.U. simply state V.A.T. must be applied, but it is up to National Governments to decide what level it is.

And, given we have a Historical Trade Deficit, particularly for goods we do not produce in Britain, were we to remove tariffs, how do you see that going?

Our Economy is so intrinsically linked, it will be impossible to damage one particular sector, without having a knock - on effect in many others. Unless you have a private income, or perhaps are a member of the ERG, the old adage applies, "Be careful for what you wish, for fear it may be granted."

Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts

Ralf S.
"Tollgate, Tollbooth", both terms steeped in our history. Virtually every major town and city has these to collect tariffs for goods moving into the conurbations. Nothing in Britain moved freely, as even at local level, the Aldermen of the towns and cities tried to protect their market.

It was not too many years ago that local "Drag - Knuckles" objected to people, from outside the area, coming in and taking local jobs.

We try to portray an air of sophistication, but in essence we are still very protective of those close to home! I have been on interview panels where the best qualified person for the job has been overlooked, because the relative of an employee is preferred, because of local loyalties. The fact that they have nothing between the ears and fundamentally - in many cases totally unqualified, is why, IMHO things standards continue to deteriorate.

Nothing, of course has anything to do with our historic low productivity?????? "Talk about Putting the Horse before the Cart". Again, seeing fault elsewhere, when it is as plain as the nose on your face.

So why does the British Government not reduce Tariffs? Principally because with our "Moribund Industrial Practices", we could not compete. That is why it makes sense to reduce corporation taxes - I can't believe I said that - but non the less it is true. If one has an under productive work force, the only incentive the Government can offer: to induce companies to stay, is by reducing liabilities to the state. Shame MacDonald doesn't understand that!

The British - with the exception of a very small proportion are a bunch of lazy bastards - free loaders. And that will not change any time soon. The dis - enfranchised of our society have just been caught on the wrong side of the fence. Were they in comfortable jobs, they would hold the same prejudicial view towards the un employed as the Tories - who elevate it to an art form.

So the only way, I can see the situation being redressed, is to create an equitable society. Flat Rate liabilities for all! Why should someone, in my area, have brought up three children, selling "Big Issues", claimed benefits, yet had their income from selling "Big Issue", is tax free.

Universally, everyone is entitled to benefits. But they should be subject to the same thresholds as everyone else who pays taxes. Be that "Bus Passes" or "Free TV Licences"

Now, these are "Local Issues" and have nothing whatsoever to do with the E.U., But successive British Governments have invariably been able to blame domestic failings upon the E.U.

It is a clever ruse. But our politicians are more proud of putting one over on us, than they are of putting one over the E.U. And I suspect, the longer we stay in the E.U., the more obvious it becomes!

Farage, is really just a distraction from the truth, which, were he absent, would be that much more obvious!

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
To be fair, some foreign companies (mostly state-owned ones) can undercut UK industry because they are subsidised and the equivalent UK industry is not, so to allow the foreign company to operate in your market puts the local firms at a competetive disadvantage.

The one thing I would give the EU credit for, is that in trade and commerce, it reduces or eliminates state-funded industries's ability to trample into their neighbours back yard, putting one set of workers out of a job with the money of the next door's taxpayers. EU is/was good at that but now, it's just bloated and a a bit decadent.

It really is long overdue for being reformed (which is where the turkey/Christmas analagy really belongs) or it needs to be replaced with something more fit for purpose. It's time, as it is, is over. It was a good system but ruined by the idiots who decided it needed to be a clique for the benefit of Germany and France (and sod the rest). A pity they f*cked it... but better that we'll soon be out of it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Well, that post was positive, up to a point. The point is, it is all about Trade and Commerce. And I agree it is needs reforming. But you reverted to type by not qualifying your later comments. It certainly is portrayed as being bloated and decadent. The right - wing media make an art form of that. But have you seen how much is spent on a British Ambassador's life style? And the Farage's of the E.U. are only too willing to dip their snouts in the same trough, whilst deriding the very thing that provides them with the opportunity.

However, my direct contributions to the E.U. last year were about £10 - 12. True, I paid V.A.T., but that I think is around 5% on purchases - not all, some are V.A.T. free. But the 15% extra went to the British Government, not the E.U.

An E.U. Army - Fake news as is the majority of the arguments used by advocates of Brexit. The fishing industry had been processing Atlantic fish, caught off Greenland and in Icelandic waters since before the advent of the E.U. and it was acknowledged that will not change regardless of being in or out. Besides, other than cod or haddock, the British aren't interested in exotic species - they would just rot in the fish shop.

What else is left of the Brexit argument? It may well be, the European Court can take precedence over ours, but they rarely do. And to my knowledge, their judgments have been in adherence to Laws that we introduced when it was established after the war.

The European court adjudged that it was discriminatory to ask men to work until they were sixty five, before their State Pension, whilst women got theirs at sixty. But it was a Pyrrhic Victory as the British Government increased the age for women to collect it to 65.

It was naive in the extreme to believe they could have done other. And in this regard, it did the British Government a big favour - State Pensions are the Brahman Cow to the British Working Classes.

Just as our Supreme Court dealt with the issue of Johnson's Prorogation of Parliament, the European court has dealt with cases which relate to us all and is without exception None Political. What more could one ask of a Judicial System.

If one considers that the E.U. serves ~600 million souls, the number of Politicians, Diplomats and Bureaucrats that are employed to do this is very small. I am struggling to find where I could possibly spend my ten to twelve pounds; in 12 months, more effectively. There are many who spend more of their benefits on Scratch Cards, per week. And, of course, they don't pay into the E.U., but sure as hell take out! So why should they complain?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, guys. Help please. I need to write a custom essay on Brexit . But I don't want to do it myself. I think to buy custom essay online . I have found several services where this can be done
Here is one of them - https://edusson.com/buy-custom-essay . Please tell me, is it safe or can I face scammers? If someone has experience of buying essays or other types of written works online-please share.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I see James Cleverley is at it again. He has a a hell of a track record. Firstly condemning the Supreme Courts Judgement, suggesting we (The prime Minister) should ignore it. Latterly, doctoring a Broadcast of Kier Starmer answering Piers Morgan's question on Labour's Brexit Policy. And without a shred of logic to his argument, defend the reason to do so, when questioned about it by Morgan

This, in addition to the re - branding of the Conservative Central Office's "Twitter Account".

And this man talks about Democracy!

Perhaps we could compare Johnson to P.W. Botha or Ian Smith. Even Jacob Zuma or Robert Mugabe? They were all Democrats. Which ever one we choose, Cleverley would be a shoe - in as Chairman of their Party, seamlessly bringing a truly International Dimension to our centuries old Democratic Institutions.

Why is it, at nearly seventy three, I feel under attack? I have decided, I am not British. I am English, living on an island in the Atlantic, that was hitherto the home of the Angles and Saxons, The British Isles. We are all mongrels, just as a Jack Russel's are.

But Jack Russel's have been established sufficiently long enough to be recognized as pedigree. Whatever mix there is in my family, it has existed long enough to be considered "Pedigree English". I define that, by saying "I have Terroir". "I am of this land" and am defined by centuries of Social, Geographical, Religious, Political, Cultural and many other traits that says "I am English".

I have brought two children up and provided for their education. As my Daughter approached Puberty, my wife and I never contemplated "Female Circumcision". We are happy with our Judicial System which is founded on "Common Law" - never felt the need to use a Sharia Court. Have never felt the need for a diet of bush - meat, believe it right and proper that women should have the same opportunities as men and see it as being abhorrent to marry a girl off to a total stranger, thousands of miles away.

Working in Bangladesh, it was pitiful to see a smallholding, divided up, whereby about an acre of arable land was worked by ten tenants, who paid the landowner Tythes for the privilege, whilst leading an impoverished existence. Yet the desire of the tenants was to simply own the land, so they could inflict the same misery on others.

Yet, I feel under threat! I am not a racist, but suffer racism as the values of immigrants; who do not share my Pedigree, are seen to be placed above my own. I had, until "Brexit" a liberal attitude to immigrants. But now find it difficult to come to terms with a first generation Black immigrant, who vehemently objects to European Citizens coming to Britain. I object to political commentators who do not share my "Terroir", my "Ethnicity" speaking on my behalf and even more a Home Secretary, who feels it politically expedient to drop her advocacy of Capital Punishment - no doubt until the time/climate is right for her to re - voice her advocacy of it.

I have never been asked my opinion on any matter that both the Politicians and the Media express as being "The Public are overwhelmingly in favour of ---- x,y or z.

No one ever asks me! Democracy; our Democracy, is what others choose to make it! I cannot, never have or ever will be in a position to influence it. I am lied too. Even where the words uttered by politicians are lies, there is always someone who is in position to change that lie into a truth, or even compound it. And I have no platform upon which I can challenge it. The simplistic response our Political masters suggest is that I can change things at the Ballot Box! ********!

Eric Cantona said yesterday in The Guardian":-
"The big democracies go to where there are thousands of years of traditions and cultures and they want them to live like "They" want. They have their own vision. For me that is a kind of terrorism. An economic terrorism.
And big democracies inside are, in a way, dictatorships because they want to impose their vision. It is just my own view but I think we are lucky to have different cultures, thousands of cultures."

Well said Eric. My culture is English and I want to keep it. But I do not want what Farage and Johnson say will be good for me. I will choose what is and is not good for me. Sajid Javid may well be British, but he does not represent me or my "Terroir". James Cleverley may be British but he does not represent my views. I am English, first class. Not Second Class, although I am made to feel that I am by those who purport to represent me.

If I cannot have Europeans, from whence my "Terroir" stems, then I want none. Pakistani's, Indians, Africans, Afghans, Iraqis American, et al, can go home. The gene pool may be small but it is getting smaller and further divorced from the values I held.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
well i can understand the sentiment, im pretty fed up with a number of politicians

If brexit does happen i think there will be increased migration from out side the EU, cheap labour will still need to be found, the good old English wont work in the fields or the chicken factories

I find Pritti Patel is a despicable person, wish we could boot her out

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
"If Brexit does happen i think there will be increased migration from out side the EU, cheap labour will still need to be found, the good old English wont work in the fields or the chicken factories".

Well then, the good old English can do without. It won't do them any harm. They eat too much in any case. Also, if supply dries up, prices will rise. A higher price for chickens would not be a bad thing given some poor creatures are sold for less than a pint of beer. Perhaps then Companies can offer better wages, which will attract investment into the infrastructure of these area's .

However, why should labour be cheap? I know lots of wealthy individuals and families who don't need to be wealthy. Incredibly cheapskate, they spend as little as possible, so they can Jet - off to "Sandals", to holiday at luxurious complexes; surrounded by barbed wire to keep the impoverished natives out. And squander incredible amounts to persuade themselves, they are living the high life. But they still shop at Asda, Lidl, Aldi and Budgen's It is not true that "Money goes hand in hand with Class".

They can afford to pay more for day to day services so that low paid, hard working individuals can at least feed, cloth and house their families. And perhaps earn sufficient to pay taxes, before the "Uber - rich" ask for more tax breaks.

Demand for labour fell due to mechanization and as populations fell, services dried up and schools closed. It is only now with climate change, areas of Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Cambridge are now more productive and landowners want to produce crops more akin to those grown on the continent. So it is "they" who needed the workforce, So it is not entirely correct that the English won't work - well at least in these areas. There is no where for them to live, no medical facilities and no schools for their children. Unless one wants them to live in "Gulags"?

But if Companies insist on imported labour, then they should bear the burden of their healthcare, not the general public. It is a gross insult to expect the British Public to pay for these services, where the demand exists only because Companies can see the potential for good profits, whilst at the same time they ask the Government to cut Corporation Tax and Business Rates.

If Brexit means denying Europeans access to our labour, I can see no reason why there should be a distinction between them and anyone else from outside the E.U! No matter where they hail from or what the colour of their skin is.

And I don't care if their granddad did fight against the Japanese.. Fighting against Napoleon, The Normans, The Vikings and The Romans is the only qualifier. Unless someone in their family did, they don't.

If any of them come to "Work", it is for that purpose alone. They should have in their possession a Return Ticket so they can leave when the work dries up. Their employer should pay a "Bond", to be forfeited in the event they don't and they should also provide "Private Health Care" in the event they are taken ill. For every week that they don't leave, an employer should be fined to the tune of their weekly wages. That way, employers would be encouraged to take more responsibility.

But my real point is, If Europeans can't come, no one should!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
I've thought for some time that the BBC was bent, maybe I'm right?

It can't have escaped the attention of the masses surely, the way the issue of "Antisemitism" has been continually churned up, or the fact that the intervention of the Chief Rabbi is overtly political.

Absolute silence when it comes to what Israel is up to, building yet more settlements and denying the Indigenous Arabs any rights - the majority of Israelis seeing them as terrorists and that perception being more and more em-planted in the minds of those who show little interest in understanding the complexities of the region.

The Chief Rabbi could have dealt with the issue in a manner less akin to the Brinkmanship that is common in Israeli Political thinking and more conducive with accepted diplomatic language. But that is also true of the idiot in the pointy hat from Canterbury. But, if the Rabbi is to represent the British Jewish Community, it would be more in keeping with British fair play, if he acted British and not take lessons from a clearly Bigoted, Biased and dare I say Racist President of the United States.

Not least because, if the boot was on the other foot, it would be the Jewish Community that would be suffering from the Bizarre Nature of International Political Climate which Trump has created. The Rabbi may think he is being clever, but it is a dangerous game to play. Does he really expect a mass public outcry? I suspect it will only lead to more prejudice in the minds of some and be entirely counter productive to what he is trying to achieve.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
The Rabbi may think he is being clever, but it is a dangerous game to play. Does he really expect a mass public outcry? I suspect it will only lead to more prejudice in the minds of some and be entirely counter productive to what he is trying to achieve.
I thought exactly the same thing. It could backfire in a spectacular and horrific way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems to me that the center-right position of political figures and parties, which are now becoming very popular in Europe, will not allow changing the situation with Brexit. Although I would like to. Recently I wrote an essay on this topic, so I specially read the latest monographs and articles. I want to tell you that today there are a lot of services where you can order an essay or other type of work. But I would advise you not to believe the first company that came across, but to read a review, for example, here https://www.aresearchguide.com/edubirdie-review.html. Very cool painted strengths and weaknesses of a service. very convenient and practical.

14321 - 14340 of 14353 Posts