Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rather unwisely (it would appear) I have chosen a Alfa Romero Spider to enter a charity run to Milan.
I am a buildings engineer by trade, but dabble with cars on the weekend.

The event is "The Banger Rally - London to Milan" on the 26 to 27 October in a £500 or less car.
The teams will travel from CS London, One Cabot Square, to Milan, over the 26th – 28th October, using a banger worth no more than £500.
Details of the event can be found here Roland Castagner is fundraising for Centrepoint
The car is a 1997 2.0 TS, with 106000 miles on the clock but has had all belts and pulleys replace recently, and was sold to me as a good runner with a winning bid of £430 on Ebay.
The purchased car had to be under £500 so had a few pounds left over for a few improvements.
However these improvements have now included the following.

1. rear subframe replacement due to a broken rear suspension mounting. a local scrap yard supplied a complete rear suspension unit for £80 !
2. various electrical gremlins sorted !
3. welding a replacement rear exhaust tip on and welding a 1" hole drilled in exhaust pipe ?
4. welding front bumper mount back on as rusted off. (was lose)
5. replacing missing front exhaust bracket and alloy support.
6. drilling out 3 broken bolts holding engine to gearbox ! noticed while doing above. new bolts now fitted !
7. replacing various missing nuts bolts and washers which must of been needed, but various garages throughout its life had deemed weren't required ! some doing important jobs !!!
8. finding no drilling or tapped hole for the temp sensor in the block so a modification done to provide one ! hence a request for head info in other thread.

Now the only job left is to replace the cam angle sensor !!!!
Due to a fault code P0008, i am guessing the sensor may of been damaged during the belt change or may have a incorrect exhaust pulley fitted ?
Time will tell......
regards
brett

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
Welcome :thumbs:
Good luck with it, it actually sounds like goof fun :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original idea was to raise money before and during the event, with the car being sold in Milan. And any money going to the charity. And so far we have raised over £1500 :D
But due to the time restriction of only being in Milan for 1 afternoon before flying home, and with each car costing less than £500 and with all the signage on the cars, the cars would probably end up being sold for scrap !

But we now Hope if all ok, on the drive down to drive it Back :thumbs:
But it will be a tiring 4 Days ! With the car being sold to my co-driver, and more money to charity :thumbs:

Not sure if charity page updated but our team is the "GREASE MONKEYS" and surprise surprise we are going dressed as racing monkeys with race suites and monkey masks and hands etc
Also with an appropriately dressed car, covered in race stickers etc

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made it !

Hi all !
Alfa made it all the way to Milan with no problems :wow:
We only got the roof down in London at the start :thumbs: as unfortunately the weather got worst, with rain through most France while on the auto routes. and being just to cold !

Due to us being the only one of 40 cars to be a convertible, ( and lots of people saying its a alfa is that wise ) and us wearing our costumes, we had to start the rally twice for the number of very professional photographers wanting "the right photo" :cool:

The driving down went without a hitch but travelling at speed got to be a bit hard on the auto routes due to having almost no viability in the wet :eek:
The auto routes aren't lit, and there are no cats eyes. Also with the spiders lights adjusted for continental driving, it doesn't change the light pattern, just rob you of the 20% normally shining to the left, it did not appear too move it to the right !
When travelling at a constant 80+mph you need to see where you are going !

Strangely the weather was dry every time we left the auto routes, at all our task destinations.
So we had good brief visits to Lille, Rheimes,Sancerra and Yerre-la-ville also there was luckily no rain on late Friday evening, when we enjoyed the night life in Dijon.
The next day saw a early start with a quick visit to the Owl on the side of Notre Dame,a visit to Lyon, and a drive to La Grave driving up/through the alps to approx 2600 feet !
The car behaving faultlessly up the steep hairpins, and the brakes working all the way down ! This was a great fun part of the rally as we had meet up with two other competitors at this point, and had a mini race up,down and through the tunnels ! before losing them at the auto route tolls ! They blamed clutch trouble !
That evening we finished of the rally in Milan, the last task being to take our photo at the main gate at Monza !

With the rally officially over, we spent 2 nights and a day, sight seeing, and sampling the local cuisine in Milan.

But not before a official end of rally meal etc and ending the night at a night club called "Just Cavalli" where our names were down at the door, and beers were 15 euros each !
Turns out this club is the place to be, The World's Finest Clubs - Member Clubs - Just Cavalli Hollywood

Our trip ended Monday with a drive from Milan, into Switzerland, through the Alps, a quick drive along a auto-ban in Germany then back in to France and finaly caught the 21:30 ferry back to England ! from there back home in 40mins.

The best parts ?.......... The Swiss Alps were breathtaking and the car was fun to drive up the mountain passes :D and the Amazing roads all across Europe, but mostly the drive !
There was only two of us, and we we constantly asking the one driving if they had had enough driving as the other wanted to drive !

The worst part ?...........having to drive pass young lady Hitch-hikers at the side of the road as car only a two seater !

40 cars started out with 12 tasks needing to be done on route meaning a 1000 mile journey there but i think a 600 mile drive back.
only one car died, having made it all the way there, but refusing to start at the final hotel. A broken cam belt being the problem. Luckily they had never intended to drive it back so it was towed to a local scrap yard ! it also made it there minus its power steering which packed up near Paris !

Thanks for help given by all, for questions asked on other posts.
And the car has a great new owner, my co-driver Rolland, He liked the car so much he's bought it :thumbs:
i will now see if I can up load some photos, and work out fuel economy !
regards
Brett

Attachments

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
:thumbs::thumbs: Thanks for sharing :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts