Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first ever Alfa last Friday - a brand new Brera 3.2 SV :)

It's just a stunning car. I've lost count of the number of people that have stopped and stared at it, and even spotted the passenger in a car that pulled up alongside me taking a photo (and no, I don't think she was a copper).

Giles

·
Super Moderator
60,032 Posts
Hi and welcome to this great site. Sounds like you have been bitten by the alfa bug,:) it is terminal you know. Cheers.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Hi there... good choice of car !! :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO and Alfa ownership :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry - no decent pics of the Brera yet. Will have to take some as soon as the weather clears up :)

I went for black with Bose, Blue&Me, visibility pack, and electric seats. Got a few glitches with the Blue&Me - might start a new thread on that...

Also the cigarette lighter is useless - at least as far as powering my Garmin satnav goes. Problem is I need external power for the traffic receiver to work :(

Giles

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
gizzer said:
Sorry - no decent pics of the Brera yet. Will have to take some as soon as the weather clears up :)

I went for black with Bose, Blue&Me, visibility pack, and electric seats. Got a few glitches with the Blue&Me - might start a new thread on that...

Also the cigarette lighter is useless - at least as far as powering my Garmin satnav goes. Problem is I need external power for the traffic receiver to work :(

Giles
Err, mine works perfectly fine..... Garmin nuvi 310 with traffic thingy...

You have to have the ignition on - but apart from that no problemo..

running the cable stalthishy was a doddle too - as it goes over the steering wheel, and along the bottom of the silver trim to the door and tucks inbetween the dash and the A pillar. The ish bit comes from the wheel, you tuck it under the trim between the carpet and then surface it close to the lighter point & plug it in.....

grand total of 3 minutes to fit, took longer to get the suction cup to stick properly....

Ang on - I remember reading on the totalGPS forums I think that the lighter adapter on the garmin is less than brilliant & garmin were supposed to be replacing those that didn't provide enough power to drive the TMC, some people had been using 3rd party ones and couldn't get their garmin one to work in some cars...

Oh and welcome - it does look good in black - and the Bose is the best one yet....

SImes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simes said:
Err, mine works perfectly fine..... Garmin nuvi 310 with traffic thingy...

You have to have the ignition on - but apart from that no problemo..

running the cable stalthishy was a doddle too - as it goes over the steering wheel, and along the bottom of the silver trim to the door and tucks inbetween the dash and the A pillar. The ish bit comes from the wheel, you tuck it under the trim between the carpet and then surface it close to the lighter point & plug it in.....

grand total of 3 minutes to fit, took longer to get the suction cup to stick properly....

Ang on - I remember reading on the totalGPS forums I think that the lighter adapter on the garmin is less than brilliant & garmin were supposed to be replacing those that didn't provide enough power to drive the TMC, some people had been using 3rd party ones and couldn't get their garmin one to work in some cars...

Oh and welcome - it does look good in black - and the Bose is the best one yet....

SImes.

Interesting....

My old 406 Coupe was fine with the Garmin, but in the Brera the adapter seems to wiggle about way too much. Might see if I can get Garmin to send me a new one, or Alfa to fit a better cigarette lighter. It seemed to work at first, but hasn't for the last 4 or 5 days. Might try my laptop car adapter again - don't think that worked either.

Have you got the GTM-10 or the GTM-11? I was thinking I might replace my 11 with a 10 so the aerial can be inline with the car radio one rather than having a separate external aerial. Either way will see if I can make the fit as neat as yours seems to be :)

Giles

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I got the halfords kit so it has the GTM-11 I think... doesn't need the external ariel - and the satellite aqquisition is great even wiht the athermic screen.

The TMC ariel tucks between the windscreen and the dash -
bugger is I have to keep disconnecting the mini usb from the side of the
unit as the power comes in via the USB connecctor on the suction
mount .... It won't work the other way....

Does the little LED light up on your adapter ????

Simes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no, the light doesn't come on - and the Garmin complains that the traffic receiver requires external power.

And of course the Garmin goes flat eventually (charging it from my PC right now...)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Have you anythign else you can plug in the socket to check - as either the garmin thingy ain't working (no led) or the socket is duff ... does it warm up the lighter?

Simes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Simes said:
Have you anythign else you can plug in the socket to check - as either the garmin thingy ain't working (no led) or the socket is duff ... does it warm up the lighter?

Simes.
Yeah - tried using the cigarette lighter. After it had been depressed for a few minutes and not popped up I pulled it out with my fingernails and it was still cold... So I guess I'd better tell the dealer to replace that as well as to get me new mics for the Blue&Me :(

oh - pictures attached. Car slightly muddy after fording a stream on Finchley Road the other day ;-)

Giles

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
hi and welcome :mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cigarette Lighter and Blue&Me both fixed this morning, so I can both charge my satnav and make hands-free calls.

Now if only I could sync my BlackBerry's address book with the Blue&Me and find a hard drive with low enough power consumption to plug into the USB port in the glove box I'd be a happy man indeed ;-)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Very nice Gizzer...

MORE PHOTOS!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

Oh and welcome to AO :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts