Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
you can't really do it in the Brera/Spider/159 without major expense or hassle. aren't the main globes in your car 'dual filament'? that is, it serves the purpose of both the lowbeam and highbeam (the centre-most lights in each cluster are the highbeam 'flasher', but not the main highbeam).

factory xenons are a 'bi-xenon' design. it has a single filament HID globe, but the housing has a moving 'shutter'. when you switch to high beam, the shutter moves up and out of the way, 'revealing' full beam.

you cannot simulate this with an HID conversion kit in your car, unless you convert to bi-xenon (remove existing lens and custom-graft in a bi-xenon projector lens; or replace entire light assembly with OE xenon versions...$$$).

the most practical upgrade is better quality globes, and if you particularly want the colour of xenons, then something like Philips Crystal Vision or Diamond Vision, or PIAA 5000K.

having said this, a mate of mine has actually fitted an HID conversion kit to his 2.2 Brera. i must say, i haven't asked him about the highbeam situation.

:)

·
Registered
698 Posts
you can't really do it in the Brera/Spider/159 without major expense or hassle. aren't the main globes in your car 'dual filament'? that is, it serves the purpose of both the lowbeam and highbeam (the centre-most lights in each cluster are the highbeam 'flasher', but not the main highbeam).

factory xenons are a 'bi-xenon' design. it has a single filament HID globe, but the housing has a moving 'shutter'. when you switch to high beam, the shutter moves up and out of the way, 'revealing' full beam.

you cannot simulate this with an HID conversion kit in your car, unless you convert to bi-xenon (remove existing lens and custom-graft in a bi-xenon projector lens; or replace entire light assembly with OE xenon versions...$$$).

the most practical upgrade is better quality globes, and if you particularly want the colour of xenons, then something like Philips Crystal Vision or Diamond Vision, or PIAA 5000K.

having said this, a mate of mine has actually fitted an HID conversion kit to his 2.2 Brera. i must say, i haven't asked him about the highbeam situation.

On the Brera, and presumably the 159, only the dipped beam is Xenon. The main beam, the inner lamps, is normal halogen.

No moving shutters here, perhaps you're thinking of BM's.

Think the term 'bi-xenon' is a bit of a sales con and just means 2(bi) lamps.

Unless, of course, they have been updated.:confused:

·
7,713 Posts
could be different. i have a 159 with xenons, and definitely bi-xenon.

the inner lamps are indeed halogens for flashing the 'high beam' lights...if the headlights aren't on. that's cos xenons are too slow to react in time (ie: they take several seconds to warm up to full brightness so are useless for flashing).

with the headlights (low beam) already on, when you flash or switch to high beam, it remains xenon; shutter moves to reveal full beam.

i'll check the manual for more info.

·
7,713 Posts
referring to the 159 manual, it seems that non-xenon versions have just a single filament H7 low beam halogen globe. and the high beam is also a single filament H7 globe in the inner lamps. (note that the manual is not 100% accurate cos i notice it says the foglight is also H7 when it's actually H1).

anyway, it suggests to the OP that he could fit an H7 HID conversion kit for the low beam, and not lose the high beam. so it's not dual filament like i suspected. in non-HID cars, the high beam must be the inner lamp, and only that (for both flashing and constant high beam).

the OP can search on ebay for 'philips h7 hid'. i prefer this brand, and suggest the 4300K 35W versions. 6000K is bluer but not as bright.

·
Registered
972 Posts
referring to the 159 manual, it seems that non-xenon versions have just a single filament H7 low beam halogen globe. and the high beam is also a single filament H7 globe in the inner lamps. (note that the manual is not 100% accurate cos i notice it says the foglight is also H7 when it's actually H1).

anyway, it suggests to the OP that he could fit an H7 HID conversion kit for the low beam, and not lose the high beam. so it's not dual filament like i suspected. in non-HID cars, the high beam must be the inner lamp, and only that (for both flashing and constant high beam).

the OP can search on ebay for 'philips h7 hid'. i prefer this brand, and suggest the 4300K 35W versions. 6000K is bluer but not as bright.

Glad we got that sorted! I was beginning to think I was losing the plot; having always believed that my inner lights (I don't have xenon) were the high beam! The S-Type I had a couple of years back had 'bi-xenons' - I always believed that the inner lights on that were xenon high beam; but it seems I must have been wrong on that one.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well! I thought I knew everything about my cars but, thanks to this thread, I've learnt something new.
There is indeed a shutter mechanism on xenon lights (sorry Shiny Car) which alters the beam mechaniism. I've just had my wife outside to check this with me.

On my Brera however. the inner lamps also stay on when main beam selected which later posts suggest is not the case:confused:

·
7,713 Posts
On my Brera however. the inner lamps also stay on when main beam selected which later posts suggest is not the case:confused:
that, i must say, i have not checked (like literally have a look at the lights)!

EDIT: ok, just checked. yes indeed, the inner lamps stay on with high/main beam. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
go for 55w as they are brighter and are the same wattage as your existing bulbs and wont trip a dipped beam bulb failure on your dash.
It is very simple to install and wont take more than an hour for someone with no experience in fitting them.
Dont pay more than £50 for a set as they are all pretty much the same apart from some have the new digital slim ballasts (not essential but better).
If you look at my avatar you will see my Volvo with a 55w 6000K kit installed. I have never been flashed with it and there is no scatter from the extra light.
I cant recommend it enough. I had Osram nightbreaker halogen bulbs before which are one of the better brands and the difference is night and day literally.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just fitted a Hid kit to my 159 it was a H2 kit 4200K temp. Very pleased with them certainly a major improvement over the standard lights

·
Registered
1 Posts
New alphaist

Hi guys,
I'm french so very poor in english but would like to participate to your topic.
I just confirm the purchase of the Brera 210ch (for you in HP) full options exepted the xenon.
I'd rather to know how to install them or to install an equivalent device?
Seems you can put some 5000°K bulb to replace the classic lights but is is not the same.
instead of installing some tuned devices, is it not possible to replace the current istallation by the official ***** option, means to pay 700€ to replace them?
I don't understand why do you want to do it as a DIY?
Moreover, I would be very pleasy to discuss with s.o of you in private MP as an english friend with the same hobby. here is my MP: [email protected]
feel fre to contact me. It willl be a pleasure (I hope that the webmaster will not forbide this message, a little bit of of the classic policy of the forum).
thanks

N

·
0 Posts
It will not be street legal and your assurance could be a problem with such a modification.

I would suggest just getting some Philips or Osram replacements.

Philips X-treme you can get from Norauto.

Also the beam is set too low from the factory. Adjusting it up very slightly will
give better vision.

·
Registered
23 Posts
159 factory bi-xenon temperature

Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone here will know here, what is the colour temperature of the factory bi-xenons in the 159? Just bought one and I'm curious:) (had 10k in my previous car, so these are definitely warmer, but I'd like to know how much..)
thanks, cheers

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
4300K is the norm and results in the most usable light.
Anything above that and the usable light is reduced.
Anything above 6000K just gets silly.... as for 10000K.... :rolleyes:

"da kids" in their Novas do like 12000K though... :cheese:

·
Registered
23 Posts
4300K is the norm and results in the most usable light.
Anything above that and the usable light is reduced.
Anything above 6000K just gets silly.... as for 10000K.... :rolleyes:

"da kids" in their Novas do like 12000K though... :cheese:
hey, my 10000K were absolutely usable, especially after switching from standard halogens :cool:
it only gets silly above 10K.. c'mon, after all it's purple! :p

so you're saying it's 4300K in the Alfas then?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
You may think your 10000K were usable and in comparison to Halogen they probably were, but 4300K would have been a lot brighter.

All oem HIDs will be between 4300K and 6000K. Usually closer to 4300K.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have a different problem.:rolleyes:
My 2.4 had Zenons and seeing that they are expensive and the cars nose was injured badly :rant:I have to get new lights.
With Zenons being twice the cost I am considering normal headlights BUT!!!!:(
The wiring harness is completely different.
Have anyone done the stupid thing of moving back to normal headlights?:eek:

Before someone ask no we do not have Brera’s or 159 at scrap yards in SA since we probably only have 500 of them in the country.:tut:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts