Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new member and first post so be gentle!

I'm buying myself a 2.2 Brera except I'll immediately want to change it to have the 5 horseshoe grey Brera S alloys with the red Brera S calipers. Does anyone know:

A good (cheap!) place to get the alloys, and...
Are the Brera S calipers compatible with the 2.2 Brera? If not, can you buy red calipers with the Alfa logo on them for the 2.2 Brera elsewhere?

All advice appreciated; can't wait to get my new motor! :)

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome :)

You can change the wheels, but they aren't cheap. You're looking at over £2000 including tyres.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey adam, cheers for the quick reply. Yeah I know the wheels are gonna sting me; it's cheaper than buying a Brera S though! (Plus I prefer the interior in the normal Brera)

Any recommendations on tyres/cheapest place to get the alloys? :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Hey adam, cheers for the quick reply. Yeah I know the wheels are gonna sting me; it's cheaper than buying a Brera S though! (Plus I prefer the interior in the normal Brera)

Any recommendations on tyres/cheapest place to get the alloys? :)
Eb spares? Wheels for Alfa GT

Loads of nice stuff on eb spares.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I'm not going to start the whole 19" cheap tyre debate again (think that has been done a death to be fair...) but, I have 19s on my 159. The car came with 4 Nangkang AS1s on the Ti wheels.

Now I was appalled when I saw this and thought I would be changing them instantly. But, they are actually pretty decent so far! Ice, frost, rain and dry and all seems well. And at £90 a corner I'm happy.

Ask MarcG on this forum, he has put the Brera S wheels on his Brera, and it looks fantastic.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Mainly the limited choice in the correct size.

Pirellis have been seen anywhere between £200 and £300 but you can get Accelera PHIs in the correct size/rating for around £90 each and I believe Nankang also do a correct size now for a similar price.

You'll find lots of threads on here where some people are very happy with Accelera tyres and others saying you'll die a horrible death using them. So I won't start more debate here. Here is a recent one:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/314536-accelera-phi-tyres.html

You are right though, absolutely the best wheel on the market today. You'll want to lower your car next and get the brake callipers painted red....

There is an 18" wheel very similar to the S wheel, but it's silver and just doesn't look quite as good. But you could get it redone in grey and have more tyre options and save a lot of money. But then you rarely buy an Alfa to save money....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Ask MarcG on this forum, he has put the Brera S wheels on his Brera, and it looks fantastic.
Oh, just jump in whilst I'm typing my reply will you!

:)

Has to be done.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just reread the first post.

The Brera S brakes are Brembos. They will be compatible with the 2.2 but i don't think the 2.2 has them. The 2.4 diesel, 3.2 and S does although some of those are grey not red.

You could change the brakes, or you could get callipers painted red (either by yourself or a body shop) and then put on some Alfa decals that you can get off eBay.

I've got a diesel Brera and have upon occasion thought about an S as would like a petrol car. The lack of skyview in the S would annoy me though and I've thought about doing what you are doing and getting a 2.2 and doing the S tweaks. But then I think I'll need to change the wheels, sort the breaks and lower it which is everything I've already done to my tractor S so I give up until the next urge for a petrol car hits me...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All, thank you so much for all the replies it's really helpful. Special thanks to MarcG and apologies for sparking off what looks like an on-going debate on cheap tyres!

The wheels were always a definite for me as I think they make the car, happy that I can get cheaper tyres though! I won't bother changing the brakes so I'll get the calipers painted/decal-ed at the same time.

Cheers, Matt
:D

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
No problem.

You'll want to lower with something like Eibach springs to finish it off. Looks cooler and handles better too. Depending on what they charge to fit should cost around £400 to £500.

Good luck with your new toy!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Interesting...are the Eibach's the springs prodrive used on the S? Dont suppose you have a photo of a brera fitted with the Eibach's do you? While they've got the wheels and calipers off...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts