Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some complete and utter tw*t has wiped out my wing mirror, how the fcuk they did when it was folded in is beyond me.

Anyway, how difficult is it to replace? I'm not going to a stealers and can get the parts ready painted for about £160. Is this a D.I.Y job or will I have to seek professional assistance?

Cheers.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
No idea bit your lucky... If hey were that close they could hae wiped out your car, either that or it was a drunken tosspot on his way home :(

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah true suppose it could have been worse.

Does anyone know if the mirror will be the same as a 159?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know how to remove the wing mirror, I have had a quick look and i think the door card needs to be removed. Can anyone shed any light on this? Cheers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On the wing mirror base there is a cover with 3 Allen key bolts under it this would possibly remove the mirror it's self. Unsure about the electrical connection maybe it would pull through the hole to the interior or it may need the door card removing

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mirrors on a brera are much larger and the actual glass is the same as a grande punto
Really, is this so?

I'm going to attempt to remove the complete wing mirror unit, has anyone done this before? Can anyone please give me an idea how its done? tips etc?

I know it not rocket science but I really am useless at this type of thing! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mirror glass

Yes it's the same I bought a replacement non original and sent a template as the 159 mirrors they stocked were a lot smaller they sent me a grande mirror saying it was the same and it is:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same thing happend to me, managed to get one of ebay. Fortunatley the outer housing was not damaged so just had to strip the old and new one down and switch over the internals. Still had to remove from the door. This was quite simple if time consuming. The mirror is held on with three bolts, BUT you will need to release the door card to get to the wiring. I loosend the door card but did not fully remove, simply prised open at the front end enough to get a hand in and unclip the connector (be carefull not to damage the clips they break easily). The really fiddly bit is threading the connector through the door and back again (its quite big and the holes are quite small), you need some one to hold the mirror while you do it as there is no slack on the wiring.

Just one point I suspect there has been a wiring change over the years, the new one does not fold in electrically even though the mechanism is there and connected and when I look at the internal wiring there are some big differences.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same thing happend to me, managed to get one of ebay. Fortunatley the outer housing was not damaged so just had to strip the old and new one down and switch over the internals. Still had to remove from the door. This was quite simple if time consuming. The mirror is held on with three bolts, BUT you will need to release the door card to get to the wiring. I loosend the door card but did not fully remove, simply prised open at the front end enough to get a hand in and unclip the connector (be carefull not to damage the clips they break easily). The really fiddly bit is threading the connector through the door and back again (its quite big and the holes are quite small), you need some one to hold the mirror while you do it as there is no slack on the wiring.

Just one point I suspect there has been a wiring change over the years, the new one does not fold in electrically even though the mechanism is there and connected and when I look at the internal wiring there are some big differences.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that mate, big help. Just one more thing; where are the 3 bolts that hold the mirror on?

Cheers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The tree bolts are under a cover on the base of the mirror (the bit on the door that doesnt move). The cover prises out with a small screwdriver or knife. Note on my car one of the bolts was the anti tamper variety the other two needed a hex key type socket. I removed the anti tamper very carefully with a pair of pliers it was not secured very tightly.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right, I've replaced the complete wing mirror, it was easier than I thought.

BUT, it won't powerfold in or out now. The actual glass can be moved, but it just wont fold automatically. It can be pushed manually, so there is nothing hindering the movement.

Do I have to do anything with the brain to sort this, or have I just been sold a duff unit?

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts