Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I just washed my Brera earlier and noticed a stone hole at the bottom of the windscreen. Unfortunately, cracks have spread along the bottom so it's going to need replacing. AutoWindscreens will do it through the insurance. Has anyone had experience of them and is there anything I need to be wary of? I'm assuming they will replace it with their own manufactured windscreen, but I noticed the Alfa one has a number etched into it. Presumably this will be lost?? By the way, it's just a standard windscreen without wiper sensors or heated.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
As far as I know, Autoglass don't make their own - when they replaced mine on the 156 they used Splintex, who make the Alfa originals.

The number etched is the security code which you'll lose, but it'll be on your other windows.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My insurance company use Auto Windscreens. Apparently they will only pay up to £100 if I use another company other than them. I'm guessing a Brera windscreen will be more than £100 plus the £65 excess. Yep, the original one does have Pilkington on it. My car doesn't have the rain sensor so I shouldn't need that. It says on the auto windscreen website that they have their own factory that makes the screens. I hope they're as good as the originals. I think I worry too much, but I do like it to be perfect.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
One thing to watch. There are two plastic trim pieces on the outside bottom corners of the windscreen. These seem to be a bit fragile and easily damaged when being removed. Warn Autoglass of this and check that they haven't broken them and stuck them back down with adhesive when you collect the car. I've had both Western Alfa and RAC Auto Windscreens do this on seperate occasions; all that happens is the adhesive gives up the ghost and the trim pieces end up flapping about in the wind.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One thing to watch. There are two plastic trim pieces on the outside bottom corners of the windscreen. These seem to be a bit fragile and easily damaged when being removed. Warn Autoglass of this and check that they haven't broken them and stuck them back down with adhesive when you collect the car. I've had both Western Alfa and RAC Auto Windscreens do this on seperate occasions; all that happens is the adhesive gives up the ghost and the trim pieces end up flapping about in the wind.
Thanks Fraser. I've had one replaced already after it kept popping up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts