Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

This evening I stalled my 2.2 Brera SV ... It restarted no problem... I parked at Sainsburys some 15 minutes later.. Did some shopping, but when I came back to the car it would not start! Steps:

- put key fob in slot
- dashboard lights up as normal .. Radio... Everything normal
- I press the start button .. Nothing.. (possibly a faint deep click heard)

Try endlessly.. Nothing happens...

I call AA ... They believe it could be immobiliser at first, however:

When AA role it down dip near my house the car jump starts!

When I turn car off.. It will not start again!

Any ideas? Any help?

All the best,

Craig

·
Registered
223 Posts
is there a relay between ignition switch and starter? Starter solenoid?

Sounds like your AA man was a bit lazy...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I have had this happen a few times on mine.

Put the key in, everything as normal, press start & nothing (reverts back to no key in mode).

Pull it out, push it back in and away you go:confused:

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
I had that a couple of times with my Brera and the thing that normally fixed it for me was to get out of the car, lock the doors, wait, unlock them, repeat, then get back in - it appears that the immobiliser was kicking in, so it just needed to be reset.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.. it was exactly the same problem as Granty18 had... a broken earth... it was probably hanging off and when I stalled it, it was probably enough to shake it loose... all fixed and starting like a dream..!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have come across similar issue, car will not start but radio and all controls are fine. 3rd or 4th attempt made disturbing "clack-clack-clack" noise, then a key blocked in the ignition. Had to press start again to unlock it.

I have last used my Brera a weekend ago, before that I had a month break due to holiday. Can not believe its battery as I have only changed it to a brand new only few months ago and its been rather warm in July. If that is loose battery earth, how can it happen to a stationary car?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have come across similar issue, car will not start but radio and all controls are fine. 3rd or 4th attempt made disturbing "clack-clack-clack" noise, then a key blocked in the ignition. Had to press start again to unlock it.

I have last used my Brera a weekend ago, before that I had a month break due to holiday. Can not believe its battery as I have only changed it to a brand new only few months ago and its been rather warm in July. If that is loose battery earth, how can it happen to a stationary car?
I am currently facing similar situation. how did you resolve it? the problem is that steering wheel is also locked, can't push it out of the house garage to tow it to the workshop

·
Registered
69 Posts

I am currently facing similar situation. how did you resolve it? the problem is that steering wheel is also locked, can't push it out of the house garage to tow it to the workshop
This happened to my brera on Monday - drove to work fine, then wouldn't start even though dash lights and radio etc are working fine.
Looked under battery tray and the earth lead is broken. Good news is that its £30, bad news is that it has to be ordered from Italy and probably won't be here till the new year now!
I'm thinking a temporary fix must be possible

·
Registered
38 Posts
This happened to my brera on Monday - drove to work fine, then wouldn't start even though dash lights and radio etc are working fine.
Looked under battery tray and the earth lead is broken. Good news is that its £30, bad news is that it has to be ordered from Italy and probably won't be here till the new year now!
I'm thinking a temporary fix must be possible
Bodge a jump lead on it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Chappers, any motor factor/spares shop, even flaming 'Halfrauds' have made up, or even made to measure battery leads on the peg, about 7quid Sir ! Just get a rough measurement of yours and you will find one close enough to the right length... 30quid from Italy=ha ha ha !

·
Registered
69 Posts
Chappers, any motor factor/spares shop, even flaming 'Halfrauds' have made up, or even made to measure battery leads on the peg, about 7quid Sir ! Just get a rough measurement of yours and you will find one close enough to the right length... 30quid from Italy=ha ha ha !
Thanks - I will give that a try.
Ordered one from the main dealer today - that's where the £30 from italy came from

·
Registered
408 Posts
I changed my battery a week or so a go and whilst in there, decided to clean the chassis earth under the tray. Needless to say it was in a shocking state, so bad the bolt just sheered off. Anyway, it was cleaned and remounted nearby.

In respect of a new earth lead, any breaker or automotive store. The longer the better really as it gives you more mounting options.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Thanks - I will give that a try.
Ordered one from the main dealer today - that's where the £30 from italy came from
All fixed using an earth lead from halfords - Thank you for the tip!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.