Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Spider 3.2 V6 Q4

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
You'd think the Brera would be more rigid. Are they in the latest Gran Turismo?

Say, here's a novel idea ... why not take them for a test drive instead of asking a bunch of people on the internet who haven't driven either car?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
driven both - own a spider ... brera handles better as its stiffer because it has a loadpath called a roof, simple torsional and bending stiffness stuff

but then the spider isn't about going fast ... it's about being a tart :thumbs:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well its a known fact that coupe is better than convertible when it comes to handling, but when it comes to looks.
The simple reason being that the chassis is stiffer.... but there is a car that tells us the complete opposite..... Pagani Zonda.

The convertible (cabriolet) is faster and handles better than the hardtop, which really brings the question down to one thing... you'll never know which is better unless you drive it.

So only those who have driven the two will be able to answer the above question..... but for my opinion... I say Brera (even though I haven't driven it yet)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Well its a known fact that coupe is better than convertible when it comes to handling, but when it comes to looks.
The simple reason being that the chassis is stiffer.... but there is a car that tells us the complete opposite..... Pagani Zonda.

The convertible (cabriolet) is faster and handles better than the hardtop, which really brings the question down to one thing... you'll never know which is better unless you drive it.
or unless you know how its been designed

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I have driven both and prefer the Spider simply because you can take
the roof down and that's what I want to do :)

Handling to me is about the whole feel of the car on the road not just
the physics. It's a very personal thing rather than just facts and figures.

D

·
0 Posts
If it's all about handling and performance, buy a Lotus or a Caterham, if it's about being a tart, get the Alfa, whether to go for the Brera or a Spider is a different call.

N

·
0 Posts
Brera's going to be more rigid and lighter.

Whether that matters is really upto what you want out of it.

An Alfa with a Targa would be the best compromise. :cool:

J

·
0 Posts
Brera's going to be more rigid and lighter.

Whether that matters is really upto what you want out of it.

An Alfa with a Targa would be the best compromise. :cool:
nah, that's the same as having half a job done.....

roof down and flat bodied, that's the only way to look :cool: :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Sorry didn't read the question before I voted :eek: ... but I'd have the Spider over the Brera anyday (although the Brera almost certainly handles better)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To be honest, I like the look of the Spider over the Brera. I love the Brera from the front, but towards the side and rear, it looks more hot-hatch rather than a sporty coupe.
The Spider looks like a convetible should and with the 3.2 Q4, it should perform very well.

But the brera is better on handling, for the simple fact that as on all cars, when you take the top off, the bottom chassis has to be strengthened. All that weight compromises the handling.
The only thing is... in some cars the difference it felt more than in others.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts