Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have to say that for long distance cruising the Brera is miles ahead of the 159.
Got back ache on the run up to/back from the UK.

Seats are too short in the base and the seat base has no inclination adjustment.
Seat back knob is annoying too. the Brera's 'leccy ones are missed.
The "sports" seats are similar to the 147. I forgot that they weren't that
good longhaul. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure it's much more practical either. Okay it has four doors
but it's still pretty cramped in the back unless the front seats
scoot forward.

Stowage is bad too. Sunglasses used to fit nicely in the rear centre
cubby and water bottles in the rear passenger cupholders on the Brera.

There is nowhere to put these items in the 159. WTF!? :confused:

The 1750 TBi is the business though. Power across the range although
toll booth starts appear/sound less aggressive.
It is a peach in slow moving traffic. You can crawl forward on idle with your foot
off both clutch and accelerator. :thumbs: (Impossible in the 2.2.)

It's not a headturner either, even in Alfa Red. They only comments I'm getting are,
"The Brera is a much prettier/sexier/cooler car." Even when they are so similar.
A "Look-at-me!" spoiler may be in the offing....

Still the 159 is the best looking 4-door saloon.
And it has a proper sunroof. :D
(Although you can't have it open at speed. :()

I think my problem may be I'm not really a 4-door saloon kinda guy.
(I forgot how annoying not having a rear wiper is. :lol:)

;)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Hmm

my 159 SW Ti is much better looking than the Brera. The Brera looks like its should be longer! its not well balanced, where as the SW is perfect.

Its comfy long distance... best seats ever .. and 3 memory settings

It has a rear wiper... :)

yeah easily the most beautiful car on the road... except maybe a Maserati Gran Turismo

·
Registered
972 Posts
No argument about the looks; Brera every time..... Think you're a bit harsh about the rear seats in the 159 though - it's a perfectly acceptable 4 (or occasional 5) seater; the same as any other car in it's class. I looked in a Brera and decided my kids probably wouldn't go for having dual leg amputation.....(was surprised how much room there is in the back of the GT though).

As you say Nev, I don't think you're mentally ready for a 4 door yet :lol:

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hmm

my 159 SW Ti is much better looking than the Brera. The Brera looks like its should be longer! its not well balanced, where as the SW is perfect.

Its comfy long distance... best seats ever .. and 3 memory settings

It has a rear wiper... :)

yeah easily the most beautiful car on the road... except maybe a Maserati Gran Turismo
Bugg3r......I'd forgotten about the SW ti (only having a lowly Lusso myself :cry:) - now I'm going to agree with you Stuart.....which just makes it look as if I'm sitting on the fence :lol:

You'll be telling me next that your SW ti is red too.....no on second thoughts, don't tell me - I'm jealous enough already! :cool:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The Brera is a real head turner, more so than the 159. I'm not exactly sure what you mean about seats but mine (lusso) has adjustable base. Two handles, one for front of base and one for the rear so you can adjust height and the angle of the seat as well. Plus they are by a mile the comfiest seats I have ever sat in. I do a lot of long journeys and never get numb bum or back ache.

I'm thnking that the seats in yours are different then, seen as you list our 159 as a sport?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Red Ti ??

Bugg3r......I'd forgotten about the SW ti (only having a lowly Lusso myself :cry:) - now I'm going to agree with you Stuart.....which just makes it look as if I'm sitting on the fence :lol:

You'll be telling me next that your SW ti is red too.....no on second thoughts, don't tell me - I'm jealous enough already! :cool:
Sadly not red ! I'd have paid extra for a red one with tan interior! its the metallic grey ... which is OK ... but at least I got the tan seats. the one advantage of that colour is that its seems to look the same when its dirty ! which at the moment it is VERY dirty...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seats are too short in the base and the seat base has no inclination adjustment.
Seat back knob is annoying too. the Brera's 'leccy ones are missed.
The "sports" seats are similar to the 147. I forgot that they weren't that
good longhaul. :rolleyes:
There are two levers at the side that control front and rear height. You can use these to set the inclination.

Stowage is bad too. Sunglasses used to fit nicely in the rear centre
cubby and water bottles in the rear passenger cupholders on the Brera.

There is nowhere to put these items in the 159.
Mine fit in the "cool" cubbyhole between the two front seats (as well as the obvious lid for the small compartment, the flat tray lifts up to give access to a deeper pocket).

It's not a headturner either, even in Alfa Red. They only comments I'm getting are,
"The Brera is a much prettier/sexier/cooler car." Even when they are so similar.
A "Look-at-me!" spoiler may be in the offing....
Both my 159s have gotten countless stares, so I have to disagree :confused: Small children point at the car (easy there, you lot), grown men look over their shoulder as they walk past. And women adore it....

Still the 159 is the best looking 4-door saloon.
Oh yes :thumbs:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the "Sport" is a bit of a duffer in terms of trim level.
Seat are not fully adjustable. :(

Or maybe I was totally spoilt by the Brera....

Ah well. Goes like stink though. :lol:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Interesting thoughts...

Although I can crawl whilst the engine is idle. And In my opinion the Brera is too long when looking from the side.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
159's are for people who can no longer have a Brera, but still really want one! :lol:

>insert your reasons why here< :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
I looked in a Brera and decided my kids probably wouldn't go for having dual leg amputation.....(was surprised how much room there is in the back of the GT though).
Same here but I can never work out why the GT is bigger than the Brera in the back. The Brera is a bigger car surely :confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Same here but I can never work out why the GT is bigger than the Brera in the back. The Brera is a bigger car surely :confused:
Yeah the Brera is a bigger car than the GT, but somehow has less boot space and rear seat space than the GT, thats why I chose my GT over the Brera and the GT V6 is faster!

If you have the sports seats on the 159 ti then I have found that you can pull the front of the seat base out so you legs are better supported :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Yeah the Brera is a bigger car than the GT, but somehow has less boot space and rear seat space than the GT, thats why I chose my GT over the Brera and the GT V6 is faster!

If you have the sports seats on the 159 ti then I have found that you can pull the front of the seat base out so you legs are better supported :)
Nev has the brand new 'Sport' edition and not a ti...The ti seats are like you say more supportive as they are like the Recaro extendables...

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Shoulda got a Ti;)

Sublime seats and a car that really turns heads, despite having an ugly mug like me at the wheel:lol:

FWIW & IMHO, the Brera out looks the GT, 147 & the 159 (and defo the MiTo):thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
FWIW & IMHO, the Brera out looks the GT, 147 & the 159 (and defo the MiTo):thumbs:
Depends at what angle you look at it from ... stand behind all of them and IMVHO the 159 beats the lot :thumbs: (Brera is at the bottom from that angle ...)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I just think the Brera is such a cool car. Agree with comments about certain angles but still... it's one gorgeous car. No contest between GT and Brera IMO. Brera every time.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I still think the 159 sw ti looks awesome from directly behind it......looks wide and low, with it's large shoulders and deep back bumper...especially if you've got a boot full of gear like me. lol.
As said before though...the TI's seats are ultimate.....you wouldn't be missing anything in this spec!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts