Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I picked up this lovely lady a couple of months back and have been loving ownership since!

I've had a few minor issues that I've been dealing with, but this latest one's just got beyond me, so thought I'd try and tap in to some more experience.

The story so far is:

• Car purchased at 75,000 miles
  • 3,000 miles covered since
  • Very occasional minor hesitation under acceleration
  • Intermittent flashing of low oil level on dash, but presumed spurious when dip stick showed good level
  • Two weeks ago low oil level warning came up- checked and deemed just below minimum. Put 1 litre in taking it to just on maximum.
  • 15 miles later, more significant stutter and cruise cancelled, warning light appears on dash accompanied by beep sound- 'check engine'
  • Pulled over, engine off, inspected fluids- all good. engine on, off, on, off. Light still there.
  • Limped 15 miles home, as car seemed ok.
  • Got code reader on: P1337 - Faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor (posible stretched chain...?)
  • First thought- dodgey sensor as, despite possible low oil, the V6 has a good reputation for cam chain- particularly as this is a later 2009 MY.
  • Ordered up 2 x ERA 550001 cam position sensors, as described via google search.
  • Today, went to fit only to find a completely different CPS installed in the car - Bosch 12592250

So, I'm left not knowing if I've bought the wrong sensors, or if someone previouslyhas installed the wrong sensors, but they've half worked anyway, or If I've taken off the wrong part, but it appear to also be a CPS when googled.

So I'm going to put it out to you experts now: can I just install the new parts I've ordered, or should I order replacements for the parts I've found on the car?

Or has anyone got a better idea as to what the underlying issue could be/ how to diagnose/ rectify?

Thanks all, much appreciated!

Alasdair.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 2.2 and changed the sensor. Problem resolved. Symptoms were;
Cruise control cancelling randomly.
Everything else appeared fine. I think the oil sensor reading is a red herring. I'm on my third and it's now an annual warranty repair. Strangely the oil sensor light tends to not read the oil level right at cold start ups after the car has been standing a couple of days.
Your old cam shaft sensor looks pretty minging. Have you completed an engine flush and new oil service recently?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice mate.

Update on this- i removed both cam position sensors, cleaned them thoroughly, refitted them and the car has been fine since: codes cleared them selves after two engine starts.

Happy days!

Cheers,

Alasdair.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Good to hear, presumably these were the ERA 550001 cam position sensors that you fitted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear, presumably these were the ERA 550001 cam position sensors that you fitted.
I just cleaned and refitted the original sensors- the new ones, supposedly for the V6 Brera, were a different length, so not sure if they would have interfered with the engine internals.

Have now returned them for a refund.

Alasdair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts