Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird this. Swapped the Bridgestone RE050's for Pirelli P Zero Nero GT's, car passes 30k miles and my economy gets a load better.

Typically I'd get 23 mpg on a run from Croydon to home but today I got almost 28.

The same was true two weeks ago when I did Swansea to Croydon.

Not complaining, not hanging about.

What do we reckon? Lower rolling resistance tyres or a looser engine?

Cheers,

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My JTD (giulietta) is getting faster all the time... I also noticed better mileage but that's a bit trickier as I tend to drive faster now. although with the very hot weather we've had (30+°C) mileage suffered again, A/C must've been working overtime.

I've only got about 7000 miles on her yet though, but the end speed after a +- 1/4 mile uphill run is 7% higher than it was in march/april

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Performance is as effortless as ever. Very smooth too :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
My JTD (giulietta) is getting faster all the time... I also noticed better mileage but that's a bit trickier as I tend to drive faster now. although with the very hot weather we've had (30+°C) mileage suffered again, A/C must've been working overtime.

I've only got about 7000 miles on her yet though, but the end speed after a +- 1/4 mile uphill run is 7% higher than it was in march/april
A diesel will gradually improve its consumption up until about 20K, even then some improvements can be seen.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whilst the economy has improved on the PZN'S, and tyre noise is better, the cornering grip in wet conditions is worse and the car seems to want to oversteer far more readily :eek:

Twice lately I've had the VDC on at very modest speeds, once joining the M1 (diesel spill involves, signs on the slip road after the wobble) and once on a roundabout near us (not the crash roundabout).

The VDC is excellent but the Brera is also very controllable. I do like my tyres to grip though.....

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
PZN will favour slightly lower pressures than the Continentals, they grip much better in the dry than the SC3, and are quieter.

Wet grip of the PZN is similar to the fabled Accelera, the dry grip of the Accelera is similar to SC3.

PZN is the worst of the 3 (by far) in snow and slush.

Assuming you're on 19's of course !

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm on 18's. I'm wondering if both slides were coincidental & there wasn't the slightest hint of slide when the car got ragged at the Evo triangle weekend in May in awful conditions!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perhaps someone slipped in a 2.4 dervy when it was serviced without telling you!:cheese:

Sorry, couldn't help it!
If they did & I found out, I'd scrap it;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whilst the economy has improved on the PZN'S, and tyre noise is better, the cornering grip in wet conditions is worse and the car seems to want to oversteer far more readily :eek:

Twice lately I've had the VDC on at very modest speeds, once joining the M1 (diesel spill involves, signs on the slip road after the wobble) and once on a roundabout near us (not the crash roundabout).

The VDC is excellent but the Brera is also very controllable. I do like my tyres to grip though.....
I've only ever had PZNs on the Brera S (19") so unfortunately I don't have anything to compare against, but I can't fault them in the dry or wet really. I have noticed some oversteer but I put that down to having Powerflex bushes on the front end and still the standard bushes on the rear end. Obviously I don't have a Q4 either! :)

I did manage some lift-off oversteer on a roundabout a while back. I think the guy behind got a bit of a shock! :eek:

On the odd (brave/stupid) occassion I've turned the VDC off and still struggled to get the PZNs to lose grip in the dry. Like you say the car is so controllable and predictable (even with the VDC off), though it certainly has the power to get out of shape if you try.

I think road surfaces tend to vary quite a lot too. Perhaps the tarmac was more worn or damaged where you had your wobbles?

Unfortunately for 19" wheels there really are only two options of tyres (PZNs or Continentals). As Prodrive fitted the PZNs I've stuck with them but I might give the Contis a go at some point.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi Simon

Can't comment on any increase or decrease in mpg as I've only ever had pzns on all four corners but I find them gripping well into the corner when on the limit and with vdc etc turned off any fast taken roundabout in the wet brings a 4 wheel drift and a 4 foot smile to my face. In the dry very hard to get it to do even remotely the same.

Mj

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have recently changed from yokohama advan sport to pzn's unfortantely no increase in mpg. Still round the 22 mpg. Grip wise etc cannot say any difference. The tyres came with new alloys so not 100% sure of spec of tires. I did notice changing tyres on my wifes merc that two virtually identical tyres, same manafacturer same code had very different rolling resistance and energy ratings. I purchased the claimed better ones and did see 4-5mpg differrence. This was on a 2 tonne plus merc GL. So might be down to better compound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts