Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I ordered an Audi tt tdi on lease months ago and have just been told it wont arrive until July whereas my current leased Civic Type R is due to be returned on 28th feb (audi was meant to be here march! anyway ive always fancied the brera diesel but although ive looked at alfas several times ive never seen it through questio is would you wait for a tt and buy a runabout or take the plunge and BUY (not lease) a 2007 brera diesel in red with horseshoe alloys and black leather fsh etc immaculate
brera now
buy crap runabout and wait for new tt but 6-7 month please give your advice especially on what the brera is like as an overall package I need a family car as I take my kids out a lot at the weeked but not bothered about boot space etc for holidays as my wife has a 520diesel
thanks i advance guys:confused:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Much as i love my Alfa's i'd never recommend a Brera to someone with young kids....the rear seats are a waste of time, but then again so are the TT's so if you are mad enough to put up with that then the Brera's well worth a test drive.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
the tt tdi engine is really naff imo... also has as many problems with dpf egr etc as the alfa

now if you said tt rs 5 pot i'd say different.

to be fair both good cars but audi is a bit dull - alfa looks and steers well but no lightweight.

i imagine the lease will be way more on a brera?

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Have you ever driven a tt? I borrowed a friends and hated it. mama had one, mashed it up against a wall and won't ever have another......

We've test driven the Brera in 2.4 and V6 guise. Very nice :thumbs:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I considered both. I love the TT but the Brera just feels special and is a lot less £££ when compared like for like. It's hard for me to say as I've only had mine for just under a year, so far all has been :thumbs: Others can perhaps spread more light on details on older Breras.

All I can say is I've never looked back since, and rarely do I admire other cars now, even the TT (except the new RS).

Take the plunge!

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Trade in time for one of them....? ;) (Wait for the Ti to cross the channel.)
We actually had a trade in price on a V6 - but in the end we came down in favour of keeping both the 159s for now. Both are quicker than a V6 :)eek:) and given that we need to watch the mileage on the ti despite all the Wales/Lincs motorway bashing and that we need 4 seats on a regualr long distance trip it was a disappointing no brainer :(

I reckon we will have one in a year or two though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I need a family car as I take my kids out a lot at the weeked but not bothered about boot space etc for holidays as my wife has a 520diesel
thanks i advance guys:confused:
Never thought I'd hear the word Brera and/or TT in the same sentence with "family car"!

Not sure how old / tall your kids are but I doubt they would be comfy in either.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
my kids are 6 and 8 theyve been i both and were happy im only 5ft 6 afterall:)
I am extremely tempted by the brera
Jeepers :eek: Are you all descended from Douglas Barder?

I put my kids in a Brera and immediately performed an above the knee amputation on them both :lol:

·
Registered
19,792 Posts

Oops. Bit of red mist came down then :eek:

·
Registered
300 Posts
my kids are 6 and 8 theyve been i both and were happy im only 5ft 6 afterall:)
I am extremely tempted by the brera

Hi garytheobald

As you probably know we sell a lot of new & used Brera's and our experience is that if you have young kids that need help in and out of the child seat then don't buy a Brera, however if your kids can get into and out of thier child seats and put seat belts on without parental help then the Brera is perfect for all until they grow out of child seats alltogether and become semi grown up teenagers.

I drive a Brera and have 2 x girls who can get in and out and do seatbelts all on thier own and they love the Brera - so do I.

If you're interested Mangoletsi are having an Alfa Used Car Sale this weekend where you can test drive & choose from over 15 x used Alfa Brera's - click here for all the details:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/north-west/203826-mangoletsi-used-car-sale-weekend-event-23rd-and-24th-jan.html

Any alfaowner.com member who purchases a new or used car this weekend can have a Mangoletsi Performance Upgrade fitted FREE of Charge too. :thumbs:

We have also recently ordered a batch of Alfa Brera's with the new 1750TBi and new 2.0JTDm engines in which should arrive with us in March - these new engines can be test driven in the 159 this weekend too. Click here for a bit more info on this:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/203180-brera-1750tbi-and-brera-2-0jtdm-here-in-march.html

Hope to see you at the weekend (Ask Craig for a Brera Test Drive and you will not buy the TT);)
Mangoletsi

·
Registered
1,309 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
For what it is worth Gary, I have actually owned a TT before and currently own a V6 Brera. True, the TT I owned was the 'smaller' mk1 version (MY2000) - I understand that the mk2 is a little bigger - and it only had pretend/part-time 4x4.

For me the Brera has been a far more enjoyable experience simply because going out in it is an event every time, rather than a chore - makes you feel special:D In comparison the TT just felt reliable and lacking a certain something (I am trying to avoid using the word 'soul' :lol:).

As for space, I have 2 kids (15 & 12 year olds) and together with the wife, we all went on 400 mile round trip down to Newbury over Christmas - no complaints. Admittedly the 'boy' lost all feeling in his legs.... I suspect that the new TT is not any better.

Stuart.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Well if you all fit in the TT you'll all fit in the Brera.

Reliability - I've had my Brera 2.5 years, no problems. There was a faulty Bosch sensor right at the beginning but that was sorted swiftly and nothing since. The Breras are really solid, nothing to worry about (except the occasional issues with diesel DPFs and EGRS that seem to bother all marques).

Engines: that VAG 2.0T is a great petrol engine, however the Brera 1750 turbo petrol is coming out this year and will be kick ars* - it'll either be a 200bhp single turbo or a 235 bhp twin turbo. If it's 235 it'll be to die for. The weight is low on the turbo model as well. Even the 200 will be great.

The Brera 2.4 Diesel is a great diesel engine (if you like diesels), if you want diesel then get the Brera over the TT.

Looks: TT is desirable but I still don't like the side view and not sure about rear view (like the light clusters though). The TT is a bit ubiquitous though. Brera just stunning and quite rare - gets treated like a supercar, so many people turn and look at it.

It's all subjective but if you do fancy buying a Brera I seriously doubt you'd regret it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The TT is smaller in the back and from what I've heard. People who do manage in the back of them find it very claustrophobic until that is, they look back and stare up into the sky via the rear window. Not at all comfortable. Mind you I can only fit three in mine as my chair is right back

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thaks guys My issue isnt really about which has more space as ive tried them both it was really about which is better to live with day in day out for 2 years and why Id like to lease a NEW brera but the rates are just too expensive hence ive decided iI can afford to lease a new Audi tt s line tdi over 3 years or buy a 56 Brera in red jtd model 50k fsh etc etc and the monthly cost is about £20 less for the alfa and obviously id own it at the end BUT the audi is new 10 plate versus 56 Brera thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hate to have to say it; but I think RSK has hit the nail squarely on the head. Alfa's are great cars; but your circumstances really dictate the sensible way to go.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts