Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well its a year to the day I have owned my Brera and it has given me something to think about.

Whilst driving in 3rd gear about 2k rpm and accelerating lightly I had a judder from the car, the traction control light flashed for a a second, it then went out and everything was fine.

The road surface was slightly damp (it rained yesterday) but in the year I have been driving I have never had the traction control warning come up even when accelerating hard from 0 or driving enthusiastically in the wet.

Yesterday morning when I started the car it cranked over a bit slowly and said ABS was unavailable for a brief second, this is obviously going to be the battery I was hoping the battery would last this winter before changing it. Now tho I am thinking perhaps it is not the battery and the ABS unavailable and traction control light might some how be linked?

Car is with Autolusso for a service Tuesday so I will see what Ned says if the power of AO forum can't solve it first.

Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Thinking perhaps tyre pressures, electrical earthing or a sensor of some sort.

In fact I think it is a battery issue, any reccomendations for Battery selection? AH ratings? 096 or 110?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The only thing I can think of is the ABS sensor / rotational speed sensor. If you watch the video below you'll see it's sometimes just a clean that's required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sounds like the DSC kicking in more than TC.

147 used to do it a lot but I never had it go off on the Brera.

Checking out the ABS system is a good idea anyway
Both my current and previous Q4 Brera's VDC kicks in unexpectedly at exactly the same point on a particular single track road and brakes one of the rear wheels. Its just after rounding a slight bend whilst also cresting the brow of a short but steep incline. There is a similar location on a main road 25miles away where the same thing happens. Fortunately speeds are low - 20-30mph so the twitch is minimal, although enough to have some owners heading to their nearest AR dealer.

I've put it down to a quirk of the system. There isn't any way that I can find to reset the lateral position sensor - I did wonder if reconnecting the battery when the car was not level may have an affect on it. I don't think its an ABS sensor issue as there are no fault codes and the ABS works fine.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the DSC kicking in more than TC.

147 used to do it a lot but I never had it go off on the Brera.

Checking out the ABS system is a good idea anyway
Stability control right? if thats the case I would say there is a faulty sensor related to that system then.

Both my current and previous Q4 Brera's VDC kicks in unexpectedly at exactly the same point on a particular single track road and brakes one of the rear wheels. Its just after rounding a slight bend whilst also cresting the brow of a short but steep incline. There is a similar location on a main road 25miles away where the same thing happens. Fortunately speeds are low - 20-30mph so the twitch is minimal, although enough to have some owners heading to their nearest AR dealer.

I've put it down to a quirk of the system. There isn't any way that I can find to reset the lateral position sensor - I did wonder if reconnecting the battery when the car was not level may have an affect on it. I don't think its an ABS sensor issue as there are no fault codes and the ABS works fine.
VDC surely should be triggered by a sensor and if its going off when not required then this is surely a faulty sensor. Needs looking at really as I don't want this happening at 80mph do I.

New battery tomorrow for a start, if it continues I will be looking at sensors

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Stability control right? if thats the case I would say there is a faulty sensor related to that system then.

VDC surely should be triggered by a sensor and if its going off when not required then this is surely a faulty sensor. Needs looking at really as I don't want this happening at 80mph do I.

New battery tomorrow for a start, if it continues I will be looking at sensors
No, needs investigating if its just started happening but hopefully its as simple as a tired battery.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
As Oldie said, certain road surface conditions, speed and steering wheel position could make
the VDC fire a brake.

My 147 used to do it on a very specific pothole
on a slight right bend.

There was never anything actually
wrong with the system, per se.

I wouldn't class it as dangerous.
eQ2 works like this too. Kinda.

Wouldn't harm to check brakes & tyres anyway
for the winter.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
This old thread discusses a similar issue - http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-andamp-946-spider/175652-is-vdc-on-my-q4-over-cautious-or-faulty.html

I tried changing the Yaw Sensor but alas the problem persists.

Now I usually turn the VDC system off.
I'd probably rather have it a bit too sensitive and put up with brief twitch at the two or three places where it happens. It never happened at speed (above 30mph) in either Breras so never felt the need to switch it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts