Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here changed their standard Brera for a Brera S (specifically a 2.2) and regretted it?

I have now had my Brera 2.2 SV for almost six years and really am ready for a change. I have given up waiting for the new Giulia and as nothing else in Alfa's showroom appeals to me, I have resorted to looking at two year old (the newest I can find) Brera S's.

Had the S been a better package when it came out I could well have been tempted then, but Alfa's decision to build it down to a price put me off.

Nor am I convinced that the trade off of ride comfort for improved cornering ability is for me, especially as the standard 2.2 has little trouble coping with bends even up here in the Peak District.

However, the S does look the business and there are loads for sale at very little money and could prove to be an inexpensive stop gap until the Giulia eventually arrives, hence my initial question.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Although they are called by the same name, there is a lot you will find different between the 2 cars but, it is all down to individual preferences. Some find the seats to be better, some do not, some lament no SV while others say they leave it shut anyway so are not bothered, and many older members find the ride on the hard side.

That said, it looks the business, it is nicer inside (I think) albeit no Blue and Me, and the way it feels and drives is chalk and cheese compared to a standard Brera. By your comment that your current vehicle is fine on most of the corners where you live, you do not sound like someone who likes to exploit or explore the handling characteristics of their vehicle. Shame, the S would put a smile on your face and astound you at its ability to go round such lovely corners but, that is its USP and if that is not your thing, you may want to ask yourself why you would buy one.

Having said that, I have yet to see a comment from any member who owns an S saying they do not like it. personally, this is my 5th Alfa since 1993 and IMO it is one of the best looking cars around and is the certainly the best car I have ever owned, only beaten by the Masser I used to have. I love it.:thumbs:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By your comment that your current vehicle is fine on most of the corners where you live, you do not sound like someone who likes to exploit or explore the handling characteristics of their vehicle. Shame, the S would put a smile on your face and astound you at its ability to go round such lovely corners but, that is its USP and if that is not your thing, you may want to ask yourself why you would buy one.
Cheeky! After thirty years of nothing but Alfa driving and ownership of every modern Alfa since the Sud GC, every journey is still treated like a trip round the 'Ring'.

Joking apart, I appreciate the S will be a hoot round corners, I am just concerned that the trade off will be too great, as from my limited experience on a short test drive, the ride quality on less than perfect roads, of which there are plenty around here, is not good.

Anyway, off for another test drive tomorrow in an attempt to convince myself that I won't miss sky view, xenons, blue & me, Bose, electric seats and nav. As I am quite shallow I will probably be won over by the beauty of the S regardless of its shortcomoings.

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
You could always fit Eibach's on your existing car. They make the car handle much better as they are a progressive spring but as only 10% stiffer the ride is almost the same. Whereas the S ones are 50% stiffer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could always fit Eibach's on your existing car. They make the car handle much better as they are a progressive spring but as only 10% stiffer the ride is almost the same. Whereas the S ones are 50% stiffer.
As it's the 'look' of the S is what appeals to me, your logic would work by fitting Eibachs to an S in my case:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
As it's the 'look' of the S is what appeals to me, your logic would work by fitting Eibachs to an S in my case:thumbs:
You just need the Eibachs and the S wheels and maybe a spot of red paint on your callipers. The move would certainly improve your cars handling and looks (as it will be lower).

I've been where you are a few times (but have a diesel), and could still end up there, but losing the sky view would be bad and my car pretty much looks like an S now anyway. (Not worried the exhausts are a different shape)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been where you are a few times (but have a diesel), and could still end up there, but losing the sky view would be bad and my car pretty much looks like an S now anyway. (Not worried the exhausts are a different shape)
I have to admit, it's the sky view that I would hate to lose, most of the other stuff can be added one way or another.

The exhausts not only look a little different but sound much better on the 2.2.

Just been to look at one in Derby, know if I go for a test drive life will only get more complicated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im selling my third Brera S 3.2 V6 (VERY reluctantly) and i have it advertised on here under the classifieds if you are interested. It is immaculate inside and out (19" wheels are perfect) and ive just paid almost £1,000 for a 50 point pre-extended warranty check at Meridien Milano in Bournemouth, full extended 4th year Alfa Warranty and 6 months tax for it....and its an absolute bargain at only £16,999.00, AND it has the full Touch Screen Sat Nav/Bluetooth/Ipod etc installed...sob sob....:(

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Hmm very interesting thread, hard decision.

I would certainly think about modding your existing car. Eibach springs work great on the 2.2, I love mine, the handling/comfort balance is great (and I like a spirited drive). Much sportier but not too harsh. You can buy S wheels and I'm sure a good exhaust place will replicate the S tail pipes for you.

You could also consider a cat-back exhaust and remap instead of just the tail pipes, then the car will be an absolute riot and put a smile on your face guaranteed. Should be more than enough to keep you enjoying the car until the Guilia comes out.

Even if you get all of the above done, you're only looking at about £2K for both the cosmetic and performance mods for what will be one hell of a car.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im selling my third Brera S 3.2 V6 (VERY reluctantly) and i have it advertised on here under the classifieds if you are interested. It is immaculate inside and out (19" wheels are perfect) and ive just paid almost £1,000 for a 50 point pre-extended warranty check at Meridien Milano in Bournemouth, full extended 4th year Alfa Warranty and 6 months tax for it....and its an absolute bargain at only £16,999.00, AND it has the full Touch Screen Sat Nav/Bluetooth/Ipod etc installed...sob sob....:(
Hi Timbo

The colour of your car is the one I would have (Touring Grey with bright wheels), unfortunately, I'm not really looking for a V6.

Good luck with your sale.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm very interesting thread, hard decision.

I would certainly think about modding your existing car. Eibach springs work great on the 2.2, I love mine, the handling/comfort balance is great (and I like a spirited drive). Much sportier but not too harsh. You can buy S wheels and I'm sure a good exhaust place will replicate the S tail pipes for you.

You could also consider a cat-back exhaust and remap instead of just the tail pipes, then the car will be an absolute riot and put a smile on your face guaranteed. Should be more than enough to keep you enjoying the car until the Guilia comes out.

Even if you get all of the above done, you're only looking at about £2K for both the cosmetic and performance mods for what will be one hell of a car.
Hi Commanderfish

Your reasoning and logic are impeccable but I'm just feeling the need for a change of vehicle, even if it is just to the same model. I've done well to keep this one six years as I usually change every three.

Now if only there was a TBI out there in either Misano Blue or Touring Grey with decent wheels and a few toys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts