Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from Autotrader [AT will not value it for some reason!] or similar sites does anyone have any ideas how to value a TBI?

From checking it would appear about 60 were imported into the UK in 2011, not sure how many per colour mine is black with about 6K worth of extras including 19" alloys, xenon headlights and electric seats, has Eibach springs, centre box delete and air filter, with 42K. Part history, just had gearbox rebuilt, had a slight whine. Subframes treated and coated and in lovely condition. Years MOT with no advisories.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add has a Novitec tuning box would estimate about 230 bhp. Recent service.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Probably because there are so few of them. Whenever 1750s appear on Autotrader it’s usually for 10k plus, not sure whether or not they actually go for that or not. Gearbox troubles would concern me, if you’ve had it fixed I just wouldn’t mention it, same goes for the tuning box, not really selling points for me.

Low mileage, black and 19 inch alloys are all good things though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
They come up for sale at Veloces every now and again (nothing currently), so maybe keep your eye on their site.
If you're wanting to sell, they do buy at good prices and then they'll advertise at an astronomical price.
Yours is exactly the type of car they'd love to have in stock - they always seem to have the best examples and so this gets reflected in the asking prices. Fair enough I guess.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Probably because there are so few of them. Whenever 1750s appear on Autotrader it’s usually for 10k plus, not sure whether or not they actually go for that or not. Gearbox troubles would concern me, if you’ve had it fixed I just wouldn’t mention it, same goes for the tuning box, not really selling points for me.

Low mileage, black and 19 inch alloys are all good things though.

With th M32 it is more a question of when than if the box is to be done. Generally speaking, you are spot on, but for those who know the car and its faults, this is more a pro than a con. And IMHO the tbi is appealing predominantly to alfisti who know their stuff.

·
Registered
497 Posts
With th M32 it is more a question of when than if the box is to be done. Generally speaking, you are spot on, but for those who know the car and its faults, this is more a pro than a con. And IMHO the tbi is appealing predominantly to alfisti who know their stuff.
Being as the car in question has barely 40k it would be a concern to me. Perhaps the extra power the tuning box brings has put excessive strain on it?

It’s a good thing to be able to mention if a potential buyer was to ask about the box, but I fear putting it in the advertisement is going to dissuade more people than it will attract. Depends how keen you are to sell I suppose. What did you have done? Who did the work? Is it likely to fail again?

I spent a long time looking for a 2.2 S (equipped with the same box) and reading something like that in an ad would have put me off looking, especially if it was located far away.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The gearbox had the faintest of whines when I got it. Vortex repaired it commenting I could have let it continue for much longer, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I got her on 38K. Tuning box came from another forum member and was put on the TBI at 40k so its only been on for 2K.

Still not sure on the value?

Nick

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Start off high and gradually reduce your price if no takers, or just leave it advertised for months at whatever
you want - a little less than what you paid for it presumably.
There's such a tiny market for old Alfas, it's simply a matter of playing the waiting game. Somebody will definitely want it sooner or later.

·
Registered
497 Posts
What Lussoman said. Unless you need a quick sale, price optimistically and leave it up for a while. As I mentioned earlier most 1750s are advertised above £10k, though realistic value may be less, perhaps more like 8k.

Do you know what your insurance value it at?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Unless you pay extra for an "agreed value" they will just value it at Glasses Guide book retail value.
Well I don’t have an agreed value on my policy and my insurer offered a payout of just shy of £10k last year after an accident, which I suspect is a little higher than your glasses guide. Depends how reputable your insurer is I guess!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Does your Glass's Guide have values for the 1.75 TBi alfaitalia?
OP has given all the precise details of the car. £12k retail; £9k trade?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
You are joking right!!!

Basing it on the Glasses Jan 2020 value as a Brera TBI with 42,000 book values are as follows...

2011 on a 60 plate Trade £6230 Retail £7930
2011 on a 11 plate Trade £6380 Retail £8080....

…..dont shoot the messenger! Im just reading the book! Just goes to show though that if you have a rare car like that and you really believe its worth more you need to insure your car at an "agreed value".....or if the worst happens you are going to have an argument with your insurance company. Does cost more though. In the event of a write off most just use the book and negotiate from there. Luckily my old 2009 2.0 derv 159 is booked pretty much spot on IMO!!

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
It does make you wonder where they get their figures from when I've not seen one advertised for months.
And never ever seen one with that mileage anything like as low as sub-£10k.
With only 60 cars registered in the whole of the UK they must be basing it on one or two cars with snapped cambelts lol.

Veloces had a white one last year with 20-odd thousand miles up at £15,995 IIRC, and that's no longer advertised.
Maybe their sales figures are kept secret...

Just out of curiosity, what retail price does the Guide give for a 2015 (15 plate) 4C with 10,000 miles?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Coupe

Glass's Trade £25,690
Retail Transacted £28,130

Launch Edition Coupe

Glass's Trade £26,260
Retail Transacted £28,700

Spyder

Glasses Trade £26,520
Retail Transacted £28,720

All with 10,000 miles. 15 year 15 plate

·
Registered
497 Posts
That expensive bodywork is going to see a fair few 4Cs written off as the values tumble.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
Thanks Alfaitalia. Given what's been said previously, I'm not surprised at those figures!

I look at 4C adverts regularly. I can't remember seeing one advertised below £32k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Based on the Glass valuations I would probably not consider selling. There was a TBI for sale with about 30K on Autotrader and Autolusso [I think] asking price 13K.

·
AO Traders
578 Posts
Hi.
If anyone needs any help with insurance that offers the option of a fixed agreed value then please feel free to drop me a line. We can offer an agreed value on pretty much any car as long as it's over 12 months old.
Regards,
Dan.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts