Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Brera TBi
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've noticed my Brera TBI flashes up this error occasionally when starting the car. I've only driven the car about 10 times since buying it, and out of those journeys it's probably done it 2 or 3 times on start up.

It only seems to do it when I start the engine from cold, i.e. in the morning. The oil level is sufficient, currently 4/5 bars, the engine runs smoothly and maintains its temperature. It has never flashed up whilst driving the car.

When it does flash up, it then immediately disappears. If I stop the car and restart it straight away, it doesn't flash up again for a second time despite the engine being cold still.

It's almost like the 'checks' the ecu does run before the engine has fully fired into life, so it's reporting a low oil pressure because the engine hasn't actually gone through the full ignition sequence yet and is still cranking on the starter motor. It's a bit weird.

Is this common or the signs of a bigger issue?

Still quite new to the car so still getting to grips with whats a real problem and whats just part of the "they all do that" Alfa character.

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is a common error. Replacing the oil pump seal in the oil pan should cure it.

·
Registered
Brera TBi
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a common error. Replacing the oil pump seal in the oil pan should cure it.
Thanks.

In the meantime do I need to be concerned? Or is the seal causing a false positive on the fault detection system?

·
Registered
173 Posts
You should be concerned, but there is no "urgence". The leaking seal is preventing from oil pressure building up, and the engine will run with insufficient lubrification when starting. Not good in the long term. Best is to let the engine idle a minute or to before revving it, until you get it sorted. Does your engine sound like a diesel when starting?

·
Registered
Brera TBi
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't say it sounds like a diesel, it's generally whisper quiet compared to what I'm used to and can barely be heard in the cabin.

There is a tappety noise on idle which I hadn't noticed before.

I'll look into getting the seal replaced, presumably not too big a job for a garage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 hours for draining oil, removing the oil pan (and the exhaust?), fixing the seal, making a new seal on the oil pan, mount it back?

·
Registered
Brera TBi
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately I don't have the tools or means to do it myself, so it will be a garage job. One cold morning last week it did make the rattle of a diesel / variator type noise whilst manoeuvring about my driveway.

In the meantime I've added another 500ml of oil and it could just be a coincidence but it's stopped the message so far. Engine whisper quiet again.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
2 hours for draining oil, removing the oil pan (and the exhaust?), fixing the seal, making a new seal on the oil pan, mount it back?
Easily..that was from tools out to tidied away. I can do it faster now I've done it a few times. You don't need to remove the exhaust....disconnecting it from the downpipe gives enough wiggle room. Some YouTube's say you have to remove right side drive shaft too...you don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today I will be picking up the TBI after the seal in the pan has been changed. Will keep you posted if this solved the issue with insufficient pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As promised an update: the fix of the seal worked, as far as I can see. Never had the 'insufficient oil pressure' warning message again, while before it was almost every morning.
Since the 'lockdown' I haven't been driving a lot, but that helps for the statement. The car started yesterday after 3 days of not driving, ambient temperature of about 0 degrees centigrade (so thick oil), without any warning signs. This is enough proof for me that replacing the seal of the oil hose in the sump is the fix for insufficient oil pressure.

·
Registered
Brera TBi
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As promised an update: the fix of the seal worked, as far as I can see. Never had the 'insufficient oil pressure' warning message again, while before it was almost every morning.
Since the 'lockdown' I haven't been driving a lot, but that helps for the statement. The car started yesterday after 3 days of not driving, ambient temperature of about 0 degrees centigrade (so thick oil), without any warning signs. This is enough proof for me that replacing the seal of the oil hose in the sump is the fix for insufficient oil pressure.
Brilliant thanks for the update, I will get mine booked into have the seal replaced asap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome. Including fresh oil and filter this cost some money. Check/ask if they clean the oil pan as well for you.
I also replaced the turbo oil feed hose together with the sump fix, which costed me about EUR500 in total including labour and materials...but the Netherlands is relatively expensive when it comes to mechanics. I think UK is much cheaper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts